BARBARIAN In Theaters August 31

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I didn't think there were too many spoilers... I still have no idea what its actually about :shrug:

It's just like the machine voiceover at the end for me. I'm like... I can already tell the first probably 30 minutes of the movie is just going to be a false set up based on the trailer, then it's going to turn into a Cabin in the Woods kind of situation.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Recently saw a quick vid where someone who had seen this said that everything in the trailer happens within the first 20 minutes of the film & it goes places you wouldn't expect ... even more intrigued now!

On 6/29/2022 at 2:23 PM, Fizzzzle said:

It's just like the machine voiceover at the end for me. I'm like... I can already tell the first probably 30 minutes of the movie is just going to be a false set up based on the trailer, then it's going to turn into a Cabin in the Woods kind of situation.

nailed it!

• 3 weeks later...

While I enjoyed it, it felt like the film was trying to do too much. It also required pretty much everyone in the film to do stupid things just for the movie to move forward. 

Spoiler

There's also a HUGE difference between keeping and killing women in your basement, and creating a large catacomb of tunnels under your suburban house. And the fact that the guy's kids went from baby to Hills Have Eyes in a single generation. The amount of suspension of disbelief needed while watching this movie is substantial. 

It's very similar to Don't Breathe... but I'd say Don't Breathe is quite a bit better than this movie. 

• 1 month later...

Finally had gotten around to seeing this over the weekend (hey, Terrifier 2 took priority AND I will be going back again this weekend for another viewing!) but hey, better late than never & it was truly a good time. DeadMeat had a solid podcast talking about it, so I have to recommend that. What I imagined vs what was ... yeah definitely not what I anticipated but I love it when a film surprises me!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 9:54 AM, Emblazon said:

While I enjoyed it, it felt like the film was trying to do too much. It also required pretty much everyone in the film to do stupid things just for the movie to move forward. 

Reveal hidden contents

It's very similar to Don't Breathe... but I'd say Don't Breathe is quite a bit better than this movie. 

To me it sounds as though your criticisms largely stem from a conclusion about a timeline that may be based upon a mistaken assumption. 

I also think complaints about excessive stretching of the suspension of disbelief may be a tad misplaced given several core elements of the movie. 

I am not into horror, but my wife wanted to watch this.

It was really solid. Georgina Campbell continues to be excellent is literally everything I’ve seen her in. There are some interesting filmmaking decisions that I’d be curious to hear from the writer/director about.

Given that the writer/director is the gallon of pcp guy, my guess is the justification for some of the more out there choices is that they would be funny.  It was a good entertaining horror movie, but it is darkly comic in a lot of ways.  

I feel like a lot of the fridge logic is the same thing.  Who cares if it makes sense, it’s a horror movie, they never make sense.  

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I am not into horror, but my wife wanted to watch this.

It was really solid. Georgina Campbell continues to be excellent is literally everything I’ve seen her in. There are some interesting filmmaking decisions that I’d be curious to hear from the writer/director about.

Im watching it right now. I can’t say I have ever seen anything like this. Some of the camera shots are so random and crazy. Like a young Sam Rami but more odd? I dunno, I kinda dig it though. And this story is bonkers as fuck. 

Ok I just finished. WHAT. THE. FUCK. 😂 That shit was wild. Loved it. I feel like if you described the plot to someone they’d laugh in your face. But the performances are so good, the style was so unique and interesting that I was legit bummed when it ended. I can’t remember the last time I was watching a horror movie and wasn’t ready for it to end. 

• Like 1

Interesting social commentary and I think that explains some of the “dumb decisions” made by the characters.

Also pretty darkly funny in some parts, but didn’t find it scary at all after the first part of the movie and the tension that was built up completely fizzled.

So I guess it is ok for me, but don’t see the wow factor here.