Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

But do remember that this a game from two console generations ago. It totally holds up in everything but visuals, but I could see the age of it being a issue in some way if you have never played it before. I have seen many people buy into the hype once it came to PC and they were like "this is it?" People go into it thinking it is a life changing game sometimes and then they quit at gran soren. 

• True 1

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

But do remember that this a game from two console generations ago. It totally holds up in everything but visuals, but I could see the age of it being a issue in some way if you have never played it before. I have seen many people buy into the hype once it came to PC and they were like "this is it?" People go into it thinking it is a life changing game sometimes and then they quit at gran soren. 

Visuals aren't a bother to me when I'd be able to get solid resolution and framerate on my aging PC.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Hmm, all this talk makes me want to try it.  Just picked it up in the Capcom Humble Bundle.

Random question:  Should I play it instead of Witcher 2 if I'm deciding between them?

It depends on what you’re more in the mood for right now. Dragon’s Dogma is a gameplay driven game where you pick your starting class, create your character and traverse a big open world with a party. It’s a little light on story, and characterization. Those elements are there, but it’s more focused on overall gameplay and combat. It has a bit of a Dungeons & Dragons vibe to it. The Witcher II is a story and character heavy game, it’s somewhat directed and linear. The gameplay and combat aren’t its strongest areas IMO, it’s more about the story that it tells and its characters. It’s good, but I like Dragon’s Dogma more myself.

• True 1

RtsgmD3G9NbSJmijtV54MN-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

If a sequel is coming, all I want is more of the same.

Sequels are meant to be innovative, allegedly, justifying their existence with big new features that'll make you forget all about its predecessor. Maybe it will blow minds with creepy, realistic teeth(opens in new tab). Or be 10 times the size of the original. There's always a boast, even if countless sequels have failed to live up to the expectations they spawn. But for Dragon's Dogma 2, I don't want any big changes. 

OK, maybe it could stand to look a bit prettier. Obviously a visual upgrade is inevitable, but I'm more concerned with the art. Dragon's Dogma is not an ugly game, but it can be a bit on the bland side, which doesn't do its already fairly generic fantasy world any favours, even while the systems that exist within it are anything but. Aside from that, though, I really just want more of the same. 

• True 1

I started playing the original again today on Xbox 360, and it still holds up pretty good in terms of graphics and gameplay. I forgot about the cool rock song that plays during the title sequence, and I also forgot that you can play as a kid. :lol:

I’ve been in the mood for an open world action RPG lately since there haven’t been any in a while, and it’s filling the gap rather nicely since it’s been 10 years since I originally played it and I don’t remember a lot about it. It feels familiar in some ways, and new in others.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, I hope they fix the fucking pawn AI (or else scrap them altogether) in the sequel. Even just more detailed orders would've improved it by leaps and bounds. As is, it's basically a coin toss (or worse) whether or not the stupid shits are gonna do anything useful when you prompt them to. "Oh, what's that? There is a sliver of your health missing? Lemme just stop in my tracks an inch away from the maws of some monster to cast a slow-ass spell to heal that minuscule damage. Oh no! Now the monster brought me to death's door and I need saving! Help, help!" A source of endless annoyance, that's what they are.

• 3 months later...

279d6395665430742757466e6714564f5dce34e4
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

Your adventure beckons in the deep, explorable fantasy world of the long-awaited sequel to Dragon’s Dogma.

The first title in the Dragon’s Dogma series initially launched in 2012. It gained popularity as a one-of-a-kind action-RPG thanks to its polished action and combat, as well as a unique system that made the player feel as if accompanied by others through pawns, mysterious otherworldly beings. Dragon’s Dogma 2 follows in its footsteps elevating these elements further to create a truly immersive fantasy world for your adventures ahead.

Join us as we share more details on the game, presented in a manner befitting the world of Dragon’s Dogma.

I loved Dragon's Dogma and the expansion. This is my most anticipated game tight now. I am so glad that this very much looks like more, prettier, Dragon's Dogma.

That said, it looks like it may take place in the same area of the world as before, which is a little disappointing. They established in the first one that there is a much bigger world out there and that the Duchy in the game was a rather small and somewhat unimportant nation.

• Halal 1

Is it just me or does it look exactly like Dragon's Dogma 1?

I mean, that game looked good at the time, but that was fucking 360/PS3 era. This should be looking so much better than that. It still has that weird muddy/muted lighting.

The original DD felt like it had a dirty window over the sun at all times.

• 3 weeks later...

Information from today's Capcom presentation:

• Improved pawn AI
  • Four times the size of the original Gransys
  • Players can choose between a Human and Beastren Arisen
  • Focus on immersive physics for interesting gameplay possibilities (destroying a bridge to cause a monster to fall or pulling on the leg of one)
  • Two characters in the key art are Ulrika (linked to the Arisen) and Nadinia (High Priestess of the Beastren)
  • New vocations (Itsuno didn't elaborate but other than the ones with the censer and spear in the trailer, I'd imagine some DDO ones will make it like Spirit Lancer)

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon's Dogma II - Information Thread, update: information from Capcom Showcase 2023
  • 2 months later...
1280x720.jpg
WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Sequel is edging closer - The long-awaited sequel, Dragon’s Dogma 2, will be fully playable at next month’s Tokyo Game...

The long-awaited sequel, Dragon’s Dogma 2, will be fully playable at next month’s Tokyo Game Show – and even if you’re not visiting the enormous Japanese convention, you’ll be able to learn more about the release as part of the publisher’s Online Special Program on 21st September from 7PM PDT. According to a social media post, this will include “new gameplay and info” from director Hideaki Itsuno.

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon's Dogma II - Information Thread, update: playable demo at next month's Tokyo Game Show

I remember playing the first one almost a year after it released. My reaction was pretty much why…in the world… haven’t I played this game yet?? I then proceeded to put like 50 hrs into it. Capcom really doesn’t have to do much to make a sequel successful. I’ll definitely be looking forward to this one. 

• Hype 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dragon's Dogma II - Information Thread, update: Gameplay Deep Dive video and TGS 2023 trailer