Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

There's no way to stop or cure it? You just kill your pawns?

Yeah. Pawns don't die. They get sent back to the primordial void known as "The Rift".

If the first Dragon's Dogma, Pawns were healed of debilitations by entering the rift via a rift stone.

• Halal 1

In any case this is just one among many overblown things about the game that spawned clickbait articles and endless threads saying "wtf this happened" when it would have been great to experience it for myself instead of having to worry about this game ending thing, which from what I understand only gets that way if you are super neglectful.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

In any case this is just one among many overblown things about the game that spawned clickbait articles and endless threads saying "wtf this happened" when it would have been great to experience it for myself instead of having to worry about this game ending thing, which from what I understand only gets that way if you are super neglectful.

And even then it isn't game ending. You can revive pretty much any NPC with a normal wakestone (I have over 30) and there is the eternal wakestone which is a mass rez in your current location

• True 1

13 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I saw credits. I see I can trigger one of two endings now. I will probably do the one that gives me more main quests. 

Weird game. 

I feel like they really botch the last 1/3 of the main plot. 

It had a plot? Looking back I'm extremely disappointed in this game on all levels. 

• True 2

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It had a plot? Looking back I'm extremely disappointed in this game on all levels. 

it has a really cool basic premise but they set up some potentially interesting characters that don’t end up paying off imo. But I should reserve judgment until I’ve seen the “true” ending. 

I'm still right before the point of no return. I haven't done it because I have this mental block of "dude grind out the best endgame armor" but I also just want to beat the game at this point. I know I won't actually do NG+ as I will get every trophy by the ending, but there is that "get the best shit before NG+ so your character is finished" mmo mentality I have.

It's not something I'm trying to do but just something I ended up doing. I saw the upcoming patch and decided I could wait for that and also half waiting for the performance patch, it's not that huge of an issue for me but I still would like to play the game without it going from 60 fps to 1 fps and the rain making it run even worse. :p

It's been over a month so that performance patch better run like a buttery smooth butthole.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Biggie said:

@Spork3245  curious on how you are liking this?

I made a character then decided to wait for that major patch coming in the next week before actually playing. Seems like a lot of big changes, plus I probably would’ve only wound up getting a couple of hours in this week anyway :p 

29 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I made a character then decided to wait for that major patch coming in the next week before actually playing. Seems like a lot of big changes, plus I probably would’ve only wound up getting a couple of hours in this week anyway :p 

I'm unconvinced it will be all that big. Better get some playtime in now before all the trolls change the game.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm unconvinced it will be all that big. Better get some playtime in now before all the trolls change the game.

I thought it was doing a lot to the pawns? Either way, I think the only day this week I’d be able to play is a little bit tomorrow. I have a LE seminar I’m teaching this weekend that’s hopefully going to turn into a federal contract.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I hope the trolls can make the game actually fun. 

13 minutes ago, nublood said:

I did too. Too many debilitating mechanics that just suck the fun right out of the game.

Careful....some can't understand this and will become extremely defensive.

• True 1

85 Percent Of Gamers Haven't Seen The Best Of Dragon's Dogma 2

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Dragon’s Dogma 2’s abrasive design may have turned players away before the game’s best reveal

Not surprising at all. I didn't spoil myself by reading the article too much, but I should be finishing Rise of the Ronin's main campaign this week, then I'll jump back into this.

Kind of a dumb article of course it's a low number because it requires playing new game plus. The amount of people who finish a game is pretty low so the amount of people who finish a game more than once is probably even lower. That being said 15% seems pretty high in this case. It's actually 20% on Steam. For perspective 81% of people made it to Vernworth.

But even lower than what the article is written about is only 17% of people (on steam) have acquired a pawn badge. :p

• True 1

The text article for the video that @Keyser_Soze posted.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

DF investigates a surprising new mod for Dragon's Dogma 2 that upgrades the RT global illumination in the PC version to full path tracing.

Path tracing? In Dragon's Dogma 2? The game shipped with ray-traced global illumination but a path tracer sits within Capcom's code - exposed thanks to a new mod for the PC version of the game. Graphics Suite Alpha, made by developer EXXXCellent, is available on Nexus Mods and includes path-traced lighting, shadows and reflections, all running in real-time. So, how does it look, how well does it run - and why exactly is it there in the first place?

To install the mod, you'll also need the most recent REFramework tool from Github, extract that into the Dragon's Dogma 2 install directory, then add in the mod's Lua script to the autorun folder. Go in-game, and you should have access to a bunch of additional options at the bottom of the REFramework overlay related to RT and path tracing.

With PT enabled, you'll see significantly more material and lighting detail versus the standard ray-traced global illumination (RTGI) with the option to use a per-pixel or four-samples-per-pixel level of granularity - each with a corresponding performance cost, of course. The standard RTGI has significantly less information to work with - one sample for every four pixels, so it has a lot more compromises compared to the 'ground truth' of path tracing.

Another reason the path-traced version of the game looks better is because it includes specular light paths, or reflections. This can make a big difference to the appearance of shiny objects like suits of armour, where the standard RTGI doesn't look realistic - it can look splotchy and glows oddly. In comparison, the same piece of armour with path tracing enabled looks like metal, with real-time reflections and self occlusion. This addition of proper reflectivity greatly enhances a wide range of the game's materials and textures with proper colouring and shading, and makes differentiation between materials like glass, wood, stone and metal easier too.

The game world is also enhanced with path-traced shadows, which replace the lower resolution (and sometimes temporally unstable) shadow maps found in the standard presentation. This allows for much higher shadow detail to match the relatively complex geometry on structures and other areas - and as shadows are done on a per-pixel basis rather than on a projected grid, there's much less fizzle, pop-in and jittering too. Finally, there are just more shadows in general with path tracing enabled, with smaller light-emitting sources like candles now casting shadows to ratchet up the detail in many indoor scenes.

Given how much the game's visual fidelity is improved by enabling PT, it's surprising that a single modder could have accomplished so much - so what's the catch? The answer may already have been obvious to some readers from the video or screenshots on this page: this mod adds path tracing without any kind of denoising step.

Without a denoiser, there's a 'film grain' of sorts visible almost everywhere. And rather than being a static texture, this film grain is constantly crawling, making it significantly more noticeable. This is the noise that normally would be removed or at least heavily minimised in a game with official path tracing support, like Cyberpunk 2077.

Another issue with path tracing is its performance. Perhaps unsurprisingly, doing a much more complex lighting simulation is expensive even on high-end hardware. In a fully GPU-limited scene on the RTX 4090, I measured a 105fps average at 4K with DLSS performance and RTGI enabled. Turning on path tracing only drops performance by 11 percent, but with one sample per pixel the results are noisy. Getting better results requires switching it to four samples per pixel with two bounces, which drops the frame-rate to just 40fps. You can go further too, with seven bounces instead of two, which has a limited visual effect but tanks performance to 20fps.

Beat the game and obtained the platinum trophy. I finally go around to it because I started to do a bunch of shit in FF14 and I was about to do even more shit but I knew I should just hurry up and beat DD2 before I got even more invested in the shit I'm doing in FF14. I thought about making a full review but I have pretty much already given all my thoughts on the game throughout the thread. I did speed run the final chapter so I pretty much didn't see any of it and didn't do any exploration or combat that wasn't mandatory to get plat. The ending is better than the first game's but still not very satisfying for me. 6/10

18f393f81b742-screenshot-Url-1.png