Dragon's Dogma II (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update (04/19): planned fixes for next update detailed

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's tough... just saying :whistlin: Just make sure you recruit new pawns every couple of levels. Your main pawn levels with you. The ones you hire, don't. Also pay attention to what your pawns are saying... they'll tell you what weaknesses certain monsters have if they've fought them before in other peoples' games. "It hates fire!" stuff like that.

I didn't get far enough to even understand pawns. I also selected "offline" which I didn't understand. I put the difficulty to normal but should I put it to easy?

Any other tips? 

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I didn't get far enough to even understand pawns. I also selected "offline" which I didn't understand. I put the difficulty to normal but should I put it to easy?

Any other tips? 

Definitely play online. You get better pawns from other players if you play online and they get pretty creative and are pretty powerful. The pawn system will explain itself but definitely play online. As far as difficulty, I remember normal being pretty tough but if your finding it manageable then stick with that. If you're dying to something, you probably have to level up and get better equpment like any other RPG.

• Thanks 1

Well this is a nice surprise of a game. Played 2 hours and it was very solid. A bit lacking in presentation and story so far but its combat is very good. I just reached the main city in the game after slaying this gigantic snake. The pawns are very cool and are very helpful. This is cool stuff. 

Does it continue to stay solid after this @Keyser_Soze?

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Does it continue to stay solid after this?

Couldn't tell you. I'm about where you are. :p

But I thought of you while playing this game, the self proclaimed "bad at video games" person. But I though, what if you had like 4 other NPCs with you at all time that could kick ass? You can recruit higher level pawns on early in the game to make things easier for you if you want.

Your impressions are about at my level. The visuals are a bit rough but I think the ambition shows. The combat is very fun. If you don't stick with the game I think that's fine as well. I think this gives you a general taste of what Dragon's Dogma 2 will be except it seems like they are improving a lot of things. Seems like there are more vocations, better graphics of course, maybe even bigger bosses. :o

A couple of points, I don't know if you're doing this:

Make sure you level up your skills and your pawn's skills. You can't do this anywhere you have to do it at an inn or at the dudes in front of the stones. You will rack up XP fast in this game but unless you keep track of it you might forget to level up your skills. - And like Skillz said, recruit new pawns every so often. Though I was running with a level 4 for a good chunk, I just subbed it out for a much better one. I don't think this game will be as difficult as he says mainly because this game now has years of leveled up pawns running around the server you can find something competent to help you out more often than not.

I don't know if you got that quest to go to the lady on the pier. I read about it when I went there, seems like it is more suited for NG+ runs so I probably wouldn't worry about doing that.

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Do you mean to make sure I use my discipline points in the inn?

Yeah.

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Also, can you only change armor etc at an inn?

You can do that anywhere. It's whatever the back button is. You can change equipment on your pawns as well.

• Thanks 1

There is no main mission right now so I'm at a stand still. I have to look at a guide. This game reminds me of the old school games where things aren't laid out for you. You have to discover things on your own. Even shops etc aren't labeled unless you find them first. This is definitely a unique game that I'm still quite enjoying.

Even the graphics aren't bad. I mean the overworld looks better than say BOTW and TOTK. I enjoy the upgrading too. From what I've researched upgrading your gear is essential and makes a difference. 

@Keyser_Soze I played 3 hours of this today! It's really addicting and well made. There isn't much of a story but the quests are enough to keep me interested. 

Dare I say this is better made than Skyrim? With better AI, dialogue, and combat to boot!

If this had better visuals and presentation this would be phenomenal.

DD2 has serious fuckin potential after seeing this. 

• True 1

I'm trying to beat this damn Chimera in a forest. I'm pretty sure I'm underleveled to take it on but I almost beat it by just trying to run away from it so I think I can beat it if I try. :p

54 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Dare I say this is better made than Skyrim? With better AI, dialogue, and combat to boot!

Hmm, who was just saying this the other day? :thinking:

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm trying to beat this damn Chimera in a forest. I'm pretty sure I'm underleveled to take it on but I almost beat it by just trying to run away from it so I think I can beat it if I try. :p

Hmm, who was just saying this the other day? :thinking:

Yea, I was kinda just agreeing with you and expanding on your point. I put the difficulty down to easy so that I don't get frustrated. But yea, if you are struggling with an enemy you must kinda grind to level up and get better equipment.

I really noticed a difference with buying a really expensive broadsword that kills enemies faster. That's a really cool aspect that I'm certain Skyrim doesn't have?

You can only upgrade the gear on your main Pawn if I remember correctly. Maybe you can give the other Pawns you hire better weapons? They won't level with you though. I remember the best weapons and gear in this game being gear you crafted. I could be wrong though... it's been years since I've played. When you hire extra pawns, make sure they are at least two or three levels above you so you won't have to worry about swapping them out  for a couple of level. I used to run a Mage, two warriors and a rogue/ranger (me). My main Pawn was either a warrior or a mage. I did two playthroughs and that's what I ran. Gonna try and play and beat Dark Arisen before DD2 comes out.

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That's a really cool aspect that I'm certain Skyrim doesn't have?

Skyrim had level scaling so you never really got that sense of being overpowered in that game because enemies typically kept pace with you as you leveled unless you specced into some of the overpowered builds. Gear makes a big difference in this game though.

@Keyser_Soze I remember that Chimera in the forest... I'm pretty sure it's weak to fire. Try dousing it with oil then setting it on fire. I think when you throw oil on winged creatures it prevents them from flying away but I could be misremembering that :p

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You can only upgrade the gear on your main Pawn if I remember correctly. Maybe you can give the other Pawns you hire better weapons? They won't level with you though. I remember the best weapons and gear in this game being gear you crafted. I could be wrong though... it's been years since I've played. When you hire extra pawns, make sure they are at least two or three levels above you so you won't have to worry about swapping them out  for a couple of level. I used to run a Mage, two warriors and a rogue/ranger (me). My main Pawn was either a warrior or a mage. I did two playthroughs and that's what I ran. Gonna try and play and beat Dark Arisen before DD2 comes out.

I recruited pawns my level online but didn't know you can recruit higher than your level. I will do that, thanks. I don't know how to craft yet but I have plenty of crafting materials. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I recruited pawns my level online but didn't know you can recruit higher than your level. I will do that, thanks. I don't how to craft yet but I have plenty of crafting materials. 

I think crafting is done through blacksmiths? Yeah when you go to that pawn world to recruit pawns, look for the highest level pawns you can find. I think you can recruit pawns up to three levels above you. I have a guide to this game I bought at the time. What's your main character's vocation? At a certain point you can create hybrid vocations or just level your vocation up to the max.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

@Keyser_Soze I remember that Chimera in the forest... I'm pretty sure it's weak to fire. Try dousing it with oil then setting it on fire. I think when you throw oil on winged creatures it prevents them from flying away but I could be misremembering that :p

Yeah I'm doing that. The biggest issue is it has this pounce attack that kills me in one or two hits. That's basically the only problem I have with the fight, I've come close a number of times and he's got a pinch of health left and then pounces the shit out of me.

Killing the snake head first makes things easier as well.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I think crafting is done through blacksmiths? Yeah when you go to that pawn world to recruit pawns, look for the highest level pawns you can find. I think you can recruit pawns up to three levels above you. I have a guide to this game I bought at the time. What's your main character's vocation? At a certain point you can create hybrid vocations or just level your vocation up to the max.

My vocation is fighter. My main pawn I made into a mage for healing me. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah when you go to that pawn world to recruit pawns, look for the highest level pawns you can find. I think you can recruit pawns up to three levels above you.

I think you can go higher than that. I've seen like level 100+ in there. The thing is you need points and the best ones are like a million points so you'll never be able to get one early game. :p

Just now, best3444 said:

I wish they had a dodge button like the souls games. And if there is a dodge button and I am not aware of it I'm a complete and utter moron. 

it's a skill you learn. I don't know if everyone has it though. I'm the Rogue, like Skillz, and you learn the skill and it's RB and A.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Killing the snake head first makes things easier as well.

I think the goat head casts spells so You want to kill that one quickly. The goat head may even heal the damn thing. Here's the efects of throwing oil on creatures "tarring"

DRAGONSDOGMA.FANDOM.COM

Tarring is a debilitation in Dragon's Dogma when a character is covered in oil. Tarring makes catching fire instantaneous and also doubles the damage of any Fire-based attack. It is also dispelled by the infliction of burning. Goblins may throw oil flasks to cause tarring, also an Evil Eye's beam attack and the spit of both Geo Saurians and Gorechimera snake heads are able to inflict it. Oil Arrows, Flasks of Oil and any...

Doesn't mention winged creatures not being able to fly... maybe burning does that? 

Did it! Went easier this time. Somehow it got staggered more this time and I was a bit more aggressive and climbed on it a couple of times and it went down pretty quickly. I got pounced once and lived on like 80 health but ate a moldy carrot and I was good to go!

spacer.png

• Halal 1
  • Hype 2

So is fast travel really a pain in the ass in this game? I've been in situations now where I need it. 

Also, I'm overencumbered now but not sure what to get rid of? I really need to find a blacksmith in the main city, too. 

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

So is fast travel really a pain in the ass in this game? I've been in situations now where I need it. 

Also, I'm overencumbered now but not sure what to get rid of? I really need to find a blacksmith in the main city, too. 

Oh yeah Fast travel is a bitch in this game. You need these stones I think which are finite resource and then you can only fast travel to certain points? Again it's been a long time since I played but I remember the fast travel system being a major complaint in the first game. 

23 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Seems like it. I just read about it. You need two things, a Ferrystone, which should be in the inn storage. Then you need to set up portcrystals and you don't get many of them. (This is just from me reading about it)

Based on what the director said I can see why it's such a PITA - I probably wouldn't bother and just book it, I've already come to terms with it. :p

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

In an interview, the director of Dragon's Dogma 2 has spoken about the nature of fast travel, suggesting it's for 'boring' games

25 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I've been storing most items that aren't equipment or like a pickaxe, or maybe you might need some potion. Basically most crafting items I store and then hang on to what I think I would need. You can also give some stuff to your pawns to lighten your load.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Seems like it. I just read about it. You need two things, a Ferrystone, which should be in the inn storage. Then you need to set up portcrystals and you don't get many of them. (This is just from me reading about it)

Based on what the director said I can see why it's such a PITA - I probably wouldn't bother and just book it, I've already come to terms with it. :p

INSIDER-GAMING.COM

In an interview, the director of Dragon's Dogma 2 has spoken about the nature of fast travel, suggesting it's for 'boring' games

I've been storing most items that aren't equipment or like a pickaxe, or maybe you might need some potion. Basically most crafting items I store and then hang on to what I think I would need. You can also give some stuff to your pawns to lighten your load.

Yea but where is the storage? Also, that's cool you can give items to your pawns. 

And lol at the director against fast travel. 

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I will say that some of the most thrilling moments in the game is trying to get to a town at night while being chased by a bunch of monsters. Oh yeah, the game is more dangerous at night and there are enemies you ONLY see at night. But yeah the fast travel system is deliberately obtuse.

Yea, I was traveling a far distance from the castle and the "zombies" or whatever came out in droves. I made it back ok but I did die even on easy from a far distance away. Even my pawns were saying enemies will be tougher in the region I was in. I really like that aspect. It's a unique game for sure. 

@Keyser_Soze I'll tell ya what, these quests are not easy to finish. They are so vague in what to do. Some point you in the correct location while others vaguely tell you how to solve them. This is old school stuff which has me hooked I'll be honest. I played roughly 5 hours of this today. 

I looked up how to use the blacksmith and when I go to the location the guy there has a dying son that he's worried about. He definitely is the blacksmith but doesn't offer his services. So I don't know how to use my crafting stuff. I did sell a lot of stuff to make sure I wasn't overencumbered. I also divided stuff with my pawns. 

Is there a main location to store everything?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Is there a main location to store everything?

I know you can do it at an inn or the guy who stands next to those pawn summoning stones. You have to talk to him and you have the option of storing the item. That's also where you craft, it's called "combine items" and you can combine a ton of things. I think it's actually advised not to sell at lot of things because you can craft so much.

As for the blacksmith he's kind of in the main area of the city when you first arrive. There are like open stalls in the side of buildings, some people sell stuff and there's a weapon guy and you can "enhance" the weapons.

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I know you can do it at an inn or the guy who stands next to those pawn summoning stones. You have to talk to him and you have the option of storing the item. That's also where you craft, it's called "combine items" and you can combine a ton of things. I think it's actually advised not to sell at lot of things because you can craft so much.

As for the blacksmith he's kind of in the main area of the city when you first arrive. There are like open stalls in the side of buildings, some people sell stuff and there's a weapon guy and you can "enhance" the weapons.

I sold a lot of crafting materials because I was overencumbered. There is plenty of stuff to get on my next run outside the castle.

I still don't think a blacksmith is available for me because I looked it up a few times. 

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I still don't think a blacksmith is available for me because I looked it up a few times. 

I guess I worded it poorly. The blacksmith is the guy who sells weapons to you. He's in the main area around the hotel. And the blacksmithing is called enhancing weapons.

51 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I guess I worded it poorly. The blacksmith is the guy who sells weapons to you. He's in the main area around the hotel. And the blacksmithing is called enhancing weapons.

Oh, well then I have done that. If you google the blacksmith they point you to a different location and he isn't worried about weapons but more so his son. Thanks