Senators look to announce initial agreement on guns as soon as Sunday

220611222304-02-senate-gun-violence-agre
WWW.CNN.COM

Senate negotiators in both parties are pushing to announce as soon as Sunday the outlines of an agreement on new measures to address gun violence, according to sources familiar with the talks.

The sources underscore that the agreement is in principle only and that thorny legislative text is not yet written.

Still, the agreement would be significant given how divided lawmakers have been over the gun issue, even in the wake of a series of devastating mass shootings, including one that killed 19 children and two teachers at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas.

One source with knowledge of the discussions said negotiators are hoping to get 10 Republican senators to sign on to the agreement before it is announced, in order to show they can overcome the 60-vote filibuster threshold. The Senate is currently evenly divided between the Democratic and GOP conferences with 50 seats each.

Sources involved in the talks said the agreement outline includes providing funding to incentivize states to implement "red flag" laws, an expansion of mental health services by growing a 10-state pilot program for behavioral health services to all 50 states, allowing juvenile records to be searched during background checks for those under 21 years of age, and funding for school security measures. It would also change the background check system to better crack down on criminals who evade that system by using smaller "hobbyists" to illegally buy guns.

The agreement is not expected to include a number of provisions pushed by President Joe Biden and gun control advocates, namely a renewal of the so-called assault weapons ban and raising the age to purchase semi-automatic rifles from 18 to 21.

5 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

So nothing that would have prevented the latest spate of shootings. Sounds about right.

How so? Wouldn’t a more intense background check for those under 21 prevent that kid from getting his assault rifle?

42 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Did he have a criminal history?

No and looking at it, he didn’t have any documented mental health issues either, so I suppose you are correct. Still, an enhanced background check and a delay on him getting the gun may have prevented this.

The deal is far from perfect but it’s real progress and it looks like it could actually pass.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Seems like a fantasy to think you're getting 10 GOP votes for gun control that isn't just "no guns for libs and minorities". 

I don’t understand what this means. Are they lying about the 10 GOP votes?

1 hour ago, Joe said:

No and looking at it, he didn’t have any documented mental health issues either, so I suppose you are correct. Still, an enhanced background check and a delay on him getting the gun may have prevented this.

The deal is far from perfect but it’s real progress and it looks like it could actually pass.

Inches forward are better than nothing for sure, but I guess I missed the details about a waiting period.

• True 1

Its a good start, unfortunately for a lot of states private gun sales get around the 21 age requirement.  Who knows maybe in another 5,10,200 years our Government may actually get around to think about maybe considering a discussion on repealing gun ownership.

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I like all of the things even if it isn’t remotely enough.

This is it.

This isn't remotely close to comprehensive, but I can't let perfect be the enemy of good and enemy of progress. 

We haven't had real gun legislation since the 1990s. Now we have a state like Florida that put gun reform into law, a law signed by Rick freaking Scott. The NRA and the gun lobby are not as strong or influential as they were in the 2000s when you had plenty of anti gun control Democrats in positions of power. If we can get some progress to start turning the tide, that's vindication for so many activists who have fought tirelessly for ages and have seen no results. It's because the gun control movement has become stronger that more Democrats have moved away from the gun lobby, imo, because now they know they actually have support if they oppose the NRA.

That's not a consolation to the folks who have died and more that we unfortunately know will die this year. But if signed into law, it's a better answer than doing nothing. And while I've seen more momentum with this legislation, I don't blame anyone for being skeptical until it's actually passed the Senate.

• True 1

7 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The liars are in the gop

Exactly, I don't think the Democrats are lying that 10 Republicans are saying they'll sign the bill, but I also believe that they're stupid enough to not realize the high probability that the Republicans are playing Lucy and the football with them again. Remember that McConnell once filibustered his own bill, there's zero reason to assume anything they do is in good faith.

• True 3

Completely toothless legislation to combat the problem. Pretty much what I expected overall, anyone getting their hopes up for something of meaning to be presented, let alone have a chance of passing, was full of themselves.  

You can also bet that when this fails to do a thing to curb mass shootings (and gun violence in general in this country) republican will all rally behind the "Well we tried some sort of gun control and it didn't work," bullshit. 

5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I’ll take it. This is something the Left needs to start jumping at. Take as many small steps as they’ll give you and eventually you’ll get where you wanna go. The right has been doing that for 50 years. 

Only 64,000 more school shootings until we get where need to be!