Senators look to announce initial agreement on guns as soon as Sunday

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

“Republicans want to keep guns in the hands of domestic abusers” seems like it would be a slam dunk but as I understand that’s not bipartisan therefore it’s bad

The Democrats have a lot of commercials that write themselves, they just don't do it.

"Claims from long dormant relationships..."  None of my long dormant relationships have any domestic violence claims, such a weird thing to hold it up with

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:

The Democrats have a lot of commercials that write themselves, they just don't do it.

"Claims from long dormant relationships..."  None of my long dormant relationships have any domestic violence claims, such a weird thing to hold it up with

“I was abusive before but now I’m not (in a relationship)!”

Apparently it's actually happened. I'm unclear on what got changed after the GOP Senators did the Lucy football pull. 

gettyimages-1241177996_wide-1c92114a3418
WWW.NPR.ORG

The bill would incentivize states to pass red flag laws and expand background checks for 18-21 year olds, among other measures. It's expected to have enough support to pass the Senate.

30 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

If it saves even one life it’s a step in the right direction, but I think we all know that it won’t go far enough and won’t actually fix the issue. 

I’m sure this will save at least a few lives. I won’t shit on actual progress, albeit if it’s tinier than a baby step. 

7 hours ago, Joe said:

Good stuff with the added bonus of idiots wanting to primary Cornyn in Texas.

But having to wait since he's up for reelection in 2026.

The stuff here is good. We need way more, but we've gotten nothing for a while, and considering the progress made over the past decade -- no Democrat has an A rating from the NRA, the gun control groups have grown more powerful, the NRA has grown weaker -- this is the "long game" stuff we talk about for stuff like the courts.

We all know the best thing to do would be to pass and sign sweeping gun legislation immediately because lives can't wait. The reality is we've had to break down many hurdles that have been set up against us, so we're going to get slowed down. I'm not 100% yet on the bill since the Senate likes to disappoint; it's still good progress.

30 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

But having to wait since he's up for reelection in 2026.

The stuff here is good. We need way more, but we've gotten nothing for a while, and considering the progress made over the past decade -- no Democrat has an A rating from the NRA, the gun control groups have grown more powerful, the NRA has grown weaker -- this is the "long game" stuff we talk about for stuff like the courts.

We all know the best thing to do would be to pass and sign sweeping gun legislation immediately because lives can't wait. The reality is we've had to break down many hurdles that have been set up against us, so we're going to get slowed down. I'm not 100% yet on the bill since the Senate likes to disappoint; it's still good progress.

Even if there was sweeping legislation, the SC would just strike it down as unconstitutional. 

27 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Even if there was sweeping legislation, the SC would just strike it down as unconstitutional. 

Then you do it again once Alito/Thomas croak.

NRA played the long game; normal, rational people have to do the same, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Then you do it again once Alito/Thomas croak.

NRA played the long game; normal, rational people have to do the same, unfortunately.

Oh, I have no doubt Thomas is retiring when the GOP wins the presidency again. Because that's the problem, democrats don't seem to have a long game, and won't until they shed the current leadership.

21 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Oh, I have no doubt Thomas is retiring when the GOP wins the presidency again. Because that's the problem, democrats don't seem to have a long game, and won't until they shed the current leadership.

Tbh, and while I don’t blame you for thinking that, Democrats have been playing more of a long game on guns. The gun control movement has grown tremendously in my adult life. Democrats won congress without running a ton of “pro gun” candidates as they did in 2006. The NRA is viewed as a hyper partisan organization and is much weaker than the 2000s. Democrats know that they’ll have solid backing from gun safety groups instead of worrying they’ll be overwhelmed by the NRA.

All of that led to any kind of deal happening now.