Ford moving to 100% online, fixed-price sales for EVs, skipping dealers

gettyimages-1654177615.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0
WWW.ROADANDTRACK.COM

CEO Jim Farley says direct delivery, zero negotiation, and fully online transactions are necessary for the brand's EV business.

Great news for consumers as a whole. What is the over/under on how many states ban Ford sales due to pressure from dealership associations?

My Escape rental is up in February next year. I would love to go EV or at least hybrid with my next rental. I would buy but I always seem to get rear ended within 3-4 years of my purchase. First was my ‘08 Escape and was $11k in labour/damage, and the lady was charged under the highway act for how hard she hit me (+50km/h) My 2nd time was about $6-7k repair on my ‘13 Escape after being hit from behind by an 85 year old man in a Walmart parking lot. Now my last 2 Escape’s have been rentals and so far, nothing. Well ok I did have a piece of wood fly off a truck an smash the windshield of my current car on the highway 4 months into my rental. Other then that I’ve been fine and stick with Ford because of my dad’s x-plan discount that we still get (almost saves the tax)

50 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

What is the over/under on how many states ban Ford sales due to pressure from dealership associations?

This is the first time in the history of the board some used over/under properly. My heart is warmed.

I’m going to to put it at 18.5 with the under a slight favorite.

I like to shit on Tesla a lot, but this was definitely much needed innovation on their part and I am so glad that Ford is going with this model.

Turn dealerships into show rooms and service centers, that’s what is needed. 

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is the first time in the history of the board some used over/under properly. My heart is warmed.

I’m going to to put it at 18.5 with the under a slight favorite.

Over/under is one of those phrases where I know the true meaning...but still use it when it's not appropriate since it's really just become a placeholder for "what are the chances?"

In the true application, I would put the number a bit smaller, maybe, around 10. I think Ford is too big to be banned. Having said that...never underestimate the right-wing culture warriors. There is a decent chance the GOP/Fox will turn on Ford and declare them libcuck electroboys or something and demand red states stop selling them. Florida for sure will ban them.

Just got done dealing with a dealer for a new vehicle and literally all they did was wash it when it arrived. I built it online, tracked it through the build process and even notified them what day it was to arrive. Absolutely pointless to have them involved. 

• True 2

24 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

Just got done dealing with a dealer for a new vehicle and literally all they did was wash it when it arrived. I built it online, tracked it through the build process and even notified them what day it was to arrive. Absolutely pointless to have them involved. 

Dealerships could be converted to "Test drive and pickup centres" and everyone would benefit. But then you'd only need a few per city rather than dozens.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I would love to go EV now (preferably an Ioniq 5), but there's 0% chance of actually taking possession until mid-2023. The other major issue is that some of these EVs are RWD, not FWD (unless you get the highest package). It's...a very dumb decision. 

I was looking at a Ioniq 5 or EV6 and it’s impossible to find one without a stupid markup. I almost bought a Tesla a few times due to how easy it is to buy and finance. 

FWD are better in snow due to where the engine is located in ICEs. This is not the case of EVs. If you get a good set of winter tires, you will be fine. 

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I was looking at a Ioniq 5 or EV6 and it’s impossible to find one without a stupid markup. I almost bought a Tesla a few times due to how easy it is to buy and finance. 

FWD are better in snow due to where the engine is located in ICEs. This is not the case of EVs. If you get a good set of winter tires, you will be fine. 

I was hit with a 6k markup for the EV6, but I also sold my 2009 Honda Accord for 10k on Carvana so I can’t complain.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

I was hit with a 6k markup for the EV6, but I also sold my 2009 Honda Accord for 10k on Carvana so I can’t complain.

I got to ride in this space ship, very nice 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Yea I would balk at that markup. The car looks cool. How do you like it?  

I plan on test driving the Audi Etron tomorrow. There is a used dealer that has a few on the lot and seems open to negotiating down. I don’t believe him but I want to test drive that model to see what it’s like. 

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Fortunately in Canada (I believe all of it) dealers can't sell for above MSRP, and can't legally force you to add on any option packages. That doesn't mean they don't try their best to trick you, of course. But if you are in a room and willing to pay MSRP, then legally they can't refuse or upcharge. So that's nice, but Canadian vehicles usually are priced differently and our packages are different from the American ones, making it harder to do comparisons.

We have a Niro EV and while I think it's a fine car, I love that it's electric. We bought it not long before the pandemic and it wasn't a terrible buying experience. We emailed every Kia dealer in a wide radius and asked for their best and final price for the exact model we wanted. In the end only two of them would give us a price over email. We ended up getting it for retail with minimal hassle, but the whole exercise is unnecessary. The first dealer we went to to test drive it wanted something like 10k over asking. Crazy.

The Niro is a very normal car that happens to be an EV, which is what my wife wanted. For myself, once my 2003 M3 dies, I'm loving the look of the Polestar O2 concept. Everyone is finally making practical EVs, but I want a 2 door convertible that has no expectations of ever carrying a child seat and looks like it drove off the set of Blade Runner. Tesla's new roadster is vaporware and will be terribly expensive. I doubt the O2 will be cheap enough for me to actually justify the cost, but it's enough for me to imagine buying it for now.

What I would love to see is something like an EV Miata. I want it small, sporty, and affordable. Hopefully the M3 lives long enough for such a car to exist, or for me to talk myself into spending enough for the Polestar.

25 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fortunately in Canada (I believe all of it) dealers can't sell for above MSRP, and can't legally force you to add on any option packages. That doesn't mean they don't try their best to trick you, of course. But if you are in a room and willing to pay MSRP, then legally they can't refuse or upcharge. So that's nice, but Canadian vehicles usually are priced differently and our packages are different from the American ones, making it harder to do comparisons.

Dealers can sell above MSRP in Canada.  Auto companies try (very hard) to discourage the practice.

However, if a dealer advertises a price, then they have to sell for that price.  However, this advertised price can be above MSRP.

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:

I'd like to go full EV, but there are 3 barriers:

1. My 2012 Focus still runs fine

2. Car prices are really high right now

3. I don't know where any charging stations are near me

do you live in an apartment building? 

i know ford was installing level 2s in homes for free (really just added to the car price instead of a separate charge lol)

cities really need to get on installing level 3s for public use 

If you have an EV, I’ve really come to like the Volta app for finding free charging. Sometimes you may have to park an extra 3-5 minute walk from your destination, but if you’re planning to be there a few hours then getting a 120ish miles of free charging is probably worth the extra steps.

Orthogonal question. In gambling orgs, someone declares an over under number against which bets are made, and the chosen value doesn't have to reflect a conventional statistical concept (though the org probably tries to estimate one), so it makes sense to have a separate term for the number used for betting vs a statistical concept. But in a casual conversation, when someone asks what the "over/under" is for something (assuming they are asking this question correctly), are they really just asking for an estimate of the median or maybe the mean and are using "over/under" as a colloquial term for? If not, what are they actually asking for and why is that more informative than asking for an estimate of the median or mean? 

27 minutes ago, legend said:

Orthogonal question. In gambling orgs, someone declares an over under number against which bets are made, and the chosen value doesn't have to reflect a conventional statistical concept (though the org probably tries to estimate one), so it makes sense to have a separate term for the number used for betting vs a statistical concept. But in a casual conversation, when someone asks what the "over/under" is for something (assuming they are asking this question correctly), are they really just asking for an estimate of the median or maybe the mean and are using "over/under" as a colloquial term for? If not, what are they actually asking for and why is that more informative than asking for an estimate of the median or mean? 

I think CV is correct that it generally gets used in place of “what are the odds?”

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:
gettyimages-1654177615.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0
WWW.ROADANDTRACK.COM

CEO Jim Farley says direct delivery, zero negotiation, and fully online transactions are necessary for the brand's EV business.

Great news for consumers as a whole. What is the over/under on how many states ban Ford sales due to pressure from dealership associations?

Illegal in Michigan....wonder if they make an exception for Ford but not Tesla. 

5 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I'd like to go full EV, but there are 3 barriers:

1. My 2012 Focus still runs fine

2. Car prices are really high right now

3. I don't know where any charging stations are near me

Your house is your primary charging station/