Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update: Stig Asmussen (director of Fallen Order/Survivor) is departing EA/Respawn

11 hours ago, stepee said:

Hoping for a performance patch?

ss_f14055548a6c51171036ebb3d00ddf5c97e5b
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The game first launched in April this year.

Think bigger.

well now it makes sense why PC patches have been so few and far between. Christ that is going to be a train wreck. 

EA said the game “isn’t performing to our standards” on some PCs after players reported some issues; hopefully, the development team gets as much time as it needs to make sure that the game runs well on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

This reads like “we know the PC version is barely passable and unplayable for some. So we completely abandoned it now that we got their money so we could try to trick people too poor to upgrade console hardware into giving us money.” 

lol fucking EA. 

• 1 month later...
swj-survivor-featured-image-16x9.jpg.ada
WWW.EA.COM

Check out the latest updates to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S.

Patch 7 for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor arrives today for PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X | S. 

Here are the fixes you can expect with this patch:

• This patch introduces several performance-related improvements* on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S including:
    • Performance mode has been completely reworked to substantially improve player experience.
      • A number of GPU and CPU optimizations – along with disabling Ray Tracing – has resulted in a better player experience, including a solid 60 FPS in Performance mode.
    • Quality Mode has also received optimizations to help reduce FPS fluctuation and introduce other visual improvements.
  • Variable Refresh Rate support added for PS5.
  • Additional performance & optimization improvements for PC, including DLSS support.
  • Save system tweaks to help prevent save game corruption.
  • Fixed issues where players could not retrieve their XP after dying under certain circumstances.
  • Various crash fixes.
  • Various bug fixes & improvements across all platforms, including fixes for cloth, lighting, and UI.

* Note: Cinematics in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on console are locked to 30 frames per second.

Thank you all for the continued support you’ve given Star Wars Jedi: Survivor while we’ve been hard at work on patches. As always, let us know if you run into any additional issues.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - Information Thread, update: Patch 7 released
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - Information Thread, update: Patch 7 released (DLSS support added for PC version)
31 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh shit, I was expecting DLSS2 but it’s full on DLSS3 with Frame Gen! @stepee @Mr.Vic20 @AbsolutSurgen @Xbob42

This is what I plan to get into once I get back from vacation so very good news I don’t need to deal with the mod! I wonder if AMD going public and saying nothing is stopped devs from using dlss now that they are gearing for fsr3 has anything to do with the timing.

23 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is what I plan to get into once I get back from vacation so very good news I don’t need to deal with the mod! I wonder if AMD going public and saying nothing is stopped devs from using dlss now that they are gearing for fsr3 has anything to do with the timing.

It's the best game I have played in ages.

• Hype 1

Frame gen seemed to have ghosting until I tried replacing the dlssg file with version 1.07 - this trick fixed it with Immortals and I figure that the current version of frame gen has a bug that nvidia needs to release an update version so developers don’t use it assuming the latest version works best.

Besides that I’m noticing it’s a lot more smooth now even though though I was using the dlss3 mod already, a lot of that  extra hitching seems gone. I’ll see when I go back to town has it is, but played the second half of the second return to Jeddah (which ends with the green portal sequence that was freakin incredible) and had zero crashes and was almost always 110-130fps at 1600p dlss performance.

• Hype 1

I had almost lost hope they were still patching the PC version. It had been over a month and a half since the last, very tiny 6.5 patch that I assumed they had just moved on. lol 

I should try this out some time. 

I wonder if this is or they still plan to improve utilization and performance of 12th and 13th gen Intel CPUs. 

Ended up playing a bunch last night, and it’s really freaking good. Some of the platforming in this is better and more clever than a lot of 3D platformers. Especially as you get more abilities. I got to the part where I killed

Rayvis

which I believe is a bout half way through the game. If I didn’t already book the hotel I’d probably have delayed my vacation until next week to keep playing to the end!

34 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ended up playing a bunch last night, and it’s really freaking good. Some of the platforming in this is better and more clever than a lot of 3D platformers. Especially as you get more abilities. I got to the part where I killed

Reveal hidden contents

which I believe is a bout half way through the game. If I didn’t already book the hotel I’d probably have delayed my vacation until next week to keep playing to the end!

Initially I felt like the platforming in the first game was a bit more clever, because the slow/freeze time was a regular force ability and not a super move. So it could be used in traversal. The actual physics of platforming felt better in Survivor as Cal felt a bit less floaty at times. And while I do miss that as an element in traversal, some later abilities really take things up a notch. 

• Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Initially I felt like the platforming in the first game was a bit more clever, because the slow/freeze time was a regular force ability and not a super move. So it could be used in traversal. The actual physics of platforming felt better in Survivor as Cal felt a bit less floaty at times. And while I do miss that as an element in traversal, some later abilities really take things up a notch. 

For me it’s the actual pure platforming part that’s so good in this. Like the types of jumps and chained moves it has you do sometimes, you end up almost surprised you could pull it off. And often a huge set piece is happening at the same time. I do miss the freeze mechanic but also I think not using it again means that they aren’t repeating a lot of the same puzzles as before.

19 minutes ago, stepee said:

For me it’s the actual pure platforming part that’s so good in this. Like the types of jumps and chained moves it has you do sometimes, you end up almost surprised you could pull it off. And often a huge set piece is happening at the same time. I do miss the freeze mechanic but also I think not using it again means that they aren’t repeating a lot of the same puzzles as before.

IMHO, it's the combination of the great combat and great platforming that make this game so good.  [It also doesn't hurt that the story is pretty good, and the production values are very high.]

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

yeah if there was a criticism I had it was that the crappie becomes a bit redundant and underutilized for a bit in the early to mod game. You’ll see the anchor points and get the prompt, but not even up needing it. Which for a bit made it feel like it was only in the game to check a box. 

this game’s platforming has a higher emphasis on movement, while the first game it felt more about manipulating the environment. Like the freezing, pulling, and pushing objects. From a power fantasy it made me feel more like I was going to places not even a person with a jet pack could compare to this game. But movement becomes so fun in this game. 

some of the Jedi meditation trials are really good though. They can feel annoying at first, but there’s a good sense of accomplishment when you nail that perfect run. 

• Like 1

lol so I set this up on my desktop today with the latest update and dlss is totally busted by default.

Besides the ghosting, I realized that even without frame gen, the dlss2 implementation is broken. If you notice, changing quality settings doesn’t change your performance metrics. This is because the setting doesn’t work right, but the best part is what it DOES do is use dlss to scale from native resolution to native resolution. I think that’s actually why it’s ghosting. Oy.

You can fix this by replacing the dlssg file in the games plugin folder with 1.07 - then the ghosting goes away and the quality settings actually work correctly. But they really really should have tested their frame gen implementation for like two seconds before sending the patch out, I noticed the ghosting instantly. 

3 hours ago, stepee said:

lol so I set this up on my desktop today with the latest update and dlss is totally busted by default.

Besides the ghosting, I realized that even without frame gen, the dlss2 implementation is broken. If you notice, changing quality settings doesn’t change your performance metrics. This is because the setting doesn’t work right, but the best part is what it DOES do is use dlss to scale from native resolution to native resolution. I think that’s actually why it’s ghosting. Oy.

You can fix this by replacing the dlssg file in the games plugin folder with 1.07 - then the ghosting goes away and the quality settings actually work correctly. But they really really should have tested their frame gen implementation for like two seconds before sending the patch out, I noticed the ghosting instantly. 

NVidia should really find a way that allows games to auto-update DLSS files, or even have a user-based plugin that scans your drive(s) for games and gives the option to switch DLSS versions (ie: add this feature to GeForce Experience)

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Asmussen previously said he hoped to make the Jedi series a trilogy…

Stig Asmussen, the director of both Star Wars Jedi games, is leaving developer Respawn Entertainment.

As reported by Bloomberg, Asmussen is leaving Respawn and its parent company EA, with his next destination currently unknown.

“After careful thought and consideration, Stig Asmussen has decided to leave Respawn to pursue other adventures, and we wish him the best of luck,” an EA spokesperson told Bloomberg in a statement.

“Veteran Respawn leaders will be stepping up to guide the team as they continue their work on Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.”

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update: Stig Asmussen (director of Fallen Order/Survivor) is departing EA/Respawn

He was probably very frustrated with how they have been able to handle the two games they’ve done so far, with many decisions being made for them by executives that hamstrung the development and v final product. 

this latest patch is also the first one that doesn’t say at the bottom of the patch notes “more to come”. Implying Jedi Survivor might be abandonware now as all focus is on other projects. So what we have now is the best it will be without modders. 

I’ll need to check, but I doubt this was the patch that finally has the game utilizing efficiency cores on 12th and 13th gen Intel CPUs. And now we’ll probably never get it. 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

RT is gone, performance improves - but some issues remain.

Jedi Survivor's seventh major patch does exactly what it advertises from a visual features perspective. That means the complete removal of the RT global illumination and RT reflections in the performance mode on PS5 and Series X - alongside unspecified "GPU and CPU optimisations" - to hopefully achieve better frame-rates. That includes the cutscenes, which still render at 30fps, but no longer feature ray tracing.

Removing RT global illumination is a sensible trade to make for the performance mode. At worst, it means substantially less refined lighting in areas of complex geometry or around small artificial lights. The old ray traced lighting often looked a bit brighter, as light more convincingly bounced through tight enclosed spaces. Occasionally the difference could look dramatic, although usually this was fairly subtle. An interesting side effect of this change is that new lighting detail no longer pops in as you traverse the environment, which could be slightly distracting before.

But just focusing on the areas where there is a significant difference would be overselling it, because most of the time any differences were quite subtle. In most scenes, you'd have to really examine the environment to appreciate the improvement, and many shots looked nearly identical. That's because both the rasterised and RTGI lighting setups appear to still mostly be depending on a baked GI pass, particularly for distant pieces of geometry. The RTGI appears to be probe-based and largely additive, not like the fine-grained per-pixel RTGI in a title like Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition, for example. Its removal doesn't hurt the game as much as you might think.

5 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m sure the most of the story and overall direction is already written out but yeah not a good sign for the last chapter. Shame they seem to have issues on the quality control/programming front, amazing game beyond that. 

without him still there to fight for that story, who’s to say it doesn’t change dramatically from his original vision. Same kind of thing happened with ME3 and look how that ending originally turned out. 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Seven patches later, the PC port is still not fit for purpose.

The bottom line is that even on my high-end gaming system, you are CPU-limited at reasonable graphics settings and especially with ray tracing. On an older mid-range processor, the game is still a disaster. Technically, the game is better, but it barely matters when core problems there since launch have not been addressed.

Ominously, the patch notes lack any mention of further updates but we know that development on the game continues - last-gen console versions are coming, after all. Maybe it's a forlorn hope this far down the line, but the PC version of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor can't be left in this state. It's still not fit for purpose.

• Sad 1