Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update: Stig Asmussen (director of Fallen Order/Survivor) is departing EA/Respawn

15 hours ago, legend said:

Well, if I ever get around to this, I guess it will be PS5 performance mode rather than PC. I fucking hate stutter.

Keep in mind Alex is far more critical than the console staffers and most of the issues still here like traversal stutter and the animation playback issue are on console as well, but just considered acceptable there. Depending on cpu (especially if you can’t use frame gen) you might get some more stutter on pc but you lose a shit ton of image quality and the intended art design in return. 

• True 1

I think overall how tough Alex is on performance is a good thing and helps hold developers accountable and I think it’s helped get games to start always precompiling shaders now for example. I can’t think of the last game to not do that since it was a big stink last holiday season.

But since that doesn’t carry over all of DF it gives some people a bit of a warped perspective of how some games perform on console vs pc. I think the best recent example was the ps5 version of Baldurs Gate 3 where they said it “mostly holds up at 60fps”…besides cutscenes, the entire last third of the game, and other areas in the other 2/3rds of the game. But mostly, it’s fine. Alex doesn’t afford that kind of leniency, so even if a pc version is still by far the best way to play, it can get trashed for issues even if those same issues were given a pass on console.

• True 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Keep in mind Alex is far more critical than the console staffers and most of the issues still here like traversal stutter and the animation playback issue are on console as well, but just considered acceptable there. Depending on cpu (especially if you can’t use frame gen) you might get some more stutter on pc but you lose a shit ton of image quality and the intended art design in return. 

Is that still true? The video for the patch on console described it as having solid frame pacing in this round, which suggests it's improved a lot more on console with this patch than on PC. (Animation playback is still probably an issue though since that seems more inherent to design decisions).

On PC I have a 3080, so no frame gen. CPU is a Ryzen 3900x, which ought to be fine, but with this, sounds like maybe not :p 

I'm feeling fairly committed to this PC until a 5090 releases and then I'll probably do a whole computer upgrade.

I'll add that I'll gladly trade IQ for less stutter. It's the easiest way for a game to sabotage itself in my mind.

9 minutes ago, legend said:

Is that still true? The video for the patch on console described it as having solid frame pacing in this round, which suggests it's improved a lot more on console with this patch than on PC. (Animation playback is still probably an issue though since that seems more inherent to design decisions).

On PC I have a 3080, so no frame gen. CPU is a Ryzen 3900x, which ought to be fine, but with this, sounds like maybe not :p 

I'm feeling fairly committed to this PC until a 5090 releases and then I'll probably do a whole computer upgrade.

I'll add that I'll gladly trade IQ for less stutter. It's the easiest way for a game to sabotage itself in my mind.

It’ll depend on the cpu if it’s a lot worse or not than the current ps5 state, but there are still traversal and loading stutters on ps5, I’m not sure if they count that as a frame pacing issue there or not. The animation issue itself is essentially a streaming stutter that is still there. On that cpu and without FG though, yeah probably best to try on ps5 :P

Best move is likely to play it next holiday when you do your 5000 series build! Then it’ll also make the wait until the third one less.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Is that when you think the 5000 series cards will be out or is that just when you think Legend will make a new PC?

Yeah, just if I were to guess, I’d say October 2024ish for them to start rolling out. I know there are rumors of it slipping into 25, but I think it’ll just be later like Oct/Nov, even if supply is limited.

• 3 weeks later...

So I popped in for a bit. First time trying it on the last 7.0 patch and first time trying it on my 4080. 

come off of Starfield this game feels like it’s turbo charged. lol So much faster at everything. 

I turned on DLSS. On Quality I’m getting about the same performance as I was FSR performance, but with better visuals, because it’s not as blurry. But DLSS, the rest of this patch, and the significant power difference in going up to a 4080 hasn’t fixed some very deeply flawed aspects of this game’s performance. 

Koboh village still drops to 60fps, which wouldn’t normally be that bad, but the frame time graph is so very very spiky. As if the game is complaining shaders every time you move the camera or move Cal 5 feet. I don’t know what the hell is going on, because at times my CPU usage will be around 30% and I’ll see my GPU usage drop to as low as 60%. 

the problems in this game are deep there is no brute forcing your way to solid performance all the time. But most the game the game will still be more than playable. Though I haven’t gone to Jedha, where 4000 series cards seemingly couldn’t stop crashing with RT on. So maybe it can still be unplayable. Out and about where combat and platforming is though feels and looks good. Basically feels like it did before but looks better. 

it’s still a real shame how this game turned out on a technical level. And since some of this goes back to Jedi Survivor I have no reason to believe they’ve sort it out for the third game. 

32 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So I popped in for a bit. First time trying it on the last 7.0 patch and first time trying it on my 4080. 

come off of Starfield this game feels like it’s turbo charged. lol So much faster at everything. 

I turned on DLSS. On Quality I’m getting about the same performance as I was FSR performance, but with better visuals, because it’s not as blurry. But DLSS, the rest of this patch, and the significant power difference in going up to a 4080 hasn’t fixed some very deeply flawed aspects of this game’s performance. 

Koboh village still drops to 60fps, which wouldn’t normally be that bad, but the frame time graph is so very very spiky. As if the game is complaining shaders every time you move the camera or move Cal 5 feet. I don’t know what the hell is going on, because at times my CPU usage will be around 30% and I’ll see my GPU usage drop to as low as 60%. 

the problems in this game are deep there is no brute forcing your way to solid performance all the time. But most the game the game will still be more than playable. Though I haven’t gone to Jedha, where 4000 series cards seemingly couldn’t stop crashing with RT on. So maybe it can still be unplayable. Out and about where combat and platforming is though feels and looks good. Basically feels like it did before but looks better. 

it’s still a real shame how this game turned out on a technical level. And since some of this goes back to Jedi Survivor I have no reason to believe they’ve sort it out for the third game. 

Whenever the gpu usage is low and the cpu usage is also low, it still means a cpu bottleneck, just that the game isn’t optimized to use most of your cpu. Usually it’s a heavily single threaded scenerio. Other things like ram and vram can cause this but it’s 98% of the time (and in this instance) poor cpu utilization. 

I’m not sure what cpu you have but it sounds like you aren’t turning on frame gen, that’s the only way to make that section in Koboh palatable, as the spikes aren’t as noticeable at 100+ fps. None of the rest of the game performs as bad as that section though, so you don’t need to base your settings on that section.

Jedha crashes were fixed in the last patch. You still might have a crash or two in the game (I had two crashes in Koboh after)  but that particular constant crashing issue in Jedah is resolved as far as I can tell. 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Whenever the gpu usage is low and the cpu usage is also low, it still means a cpu bottleneck, just that the game isn’t optimized to use most of your cpu. Usually it’s a heavily single threaded scenerio. Other things like ram and vram can cause this but it’s 98% of the time (and in this instance) poor cpu utilization. 

I’m not sure what cpu you have but it sounds like you aren’t turning on frame gen, that’s the only way to make that section in Koboh palatable, as the spikes aren’t as noticeable at 100+ fps. None of the rest of the game performs as bad as that section though, so you don’t need to base your settings on that section.

I have an i7-13700KF 

I was gonna try frame gen today. It was late when I tried it last night on my old NG+ play through so I had to still make my way to the village. 

I saw a video when this update came out that made it appear frame gen was making the game look smeared in motion. So I was kind of Leary to try it anyways, but I wanted to get a good feel without it first. 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I have an i7-13700KF 

I was gonna try frame gen today. It was late when I tried it last night on my old NG+ play through so I had to still make my way to the village. 

I saw a video when this update came out that made it appear frame gen was making the game look smeared in motion. So I was kind of Leary to try it anyways, but I wanted to get a good feel without it first. 

Oh right they shipped a version of dlss with broken frame gen lol forgot about that. Download 1.07 frame gen here: 

WWW.TECHPOWERUP.COM

And paste that over the one in the Star Wars folder. If you have trouble finding it I can find it later but it’s somewhere in the plugins folder, just forget off the top of my head. There is a very similar looking file, if it’s not exact that isn’t the right one.

One of the newer dlls might work better I just know the first 3.5 didn’t and I didn’t try anything after and this works well.

• 2 months later...

Aside from horrid performance and occasional glitches, it's a nice expansion of what they started in Fallen Order. As best as I can recall the gameplay/combat was not as tight as it was in FO, but the expansion to the moveset made up for it.  Still, for some reason I had harder time getting my dude to do exactly what I wanted - the most glaring example being when fighting a group of enemies I would go to force pull/push enemy grenades/rockets Cal would more often target a person instead and I'd get blown up. Only a couple of the boss fights were cheap and unintuitive; on the Vader fight I had him down to one hit on my first attempt and then proceeded to get rekt 10+ more times when he randomly decides to chain two or more unblockable attacks in a row. On the medium difficulty I also really felt like I should be doing more lightsaber damage, especially because the creature bosses were just HP sponges and were not nearly as engaging as the humanoid fights.

I rocked the Dual Wield + Crossguard stances for most of the game. Visually they were great, but the Dual Wield had a few quirks. It's definitley meant to be an aggressive assault on your enemy, but the skill upgrades to the basic combo attack didn't do much most of the time because a lot of the enemies would get knocked back out of range during the combo and I'd whiff the last two attacks. What a waste of a cool moveset. I also wish a few of the skill just happened faster, particularly the charged ones because of how easy it is for Cal to get staggered out of them. I switched to Double Bladed towards the end and it seemed just as effective at assaulting the grunts as Dual Wield.

As for the story,

Spoiler

I totally expected Bode to betray us from his very introduction, but I didn't expect it to happen so late into the game nor for him to be the final boss. The spy arc was pretty good and I enjoyed it because of the shades of Andor. I would have liked to see his insanity portrayed a bit more... because no character nor the story pointed out how creepy it would be for him and his daughter to basically be alone on an entire planet. But the bitch got what was coming to him after murdering a defenseless old man.

The Dagan Kera story was cinematically very cool, but his actual character arc and dialog were so generic I never bought into the parallels they were trying to draw between his and Cal's obsession with Tanalorr. 

• Halal 2

After I beat the game and the holiday rush, they release a patch.

WWW.EA.COM

Check out the latest updates to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S.

I *guess* I'll boot up the game (obviously after uninstalling the mods that made it playable in case they're broken) and see if performance is any better.

8 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

After I beat the game and the holiday rush, they release a patch.

WWW.EA.COM

Check out the latest updates to Star Wars Jedi: Survivor on PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S.

I *guess* I'll boot up the game (obviously after uninstalling the mods that made it playable in case they're broken) and see if performance is any better.

Nothing in the patch notes indicates to me that there are any performance-related improvements.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

I just finished playing today after the update and I didn't notice anything. Then again I had litteraly 0 issues with this game in the first place. It is so fuckin good. 

re-start it you coward

Subjectively, not much of a change in RT-off performance. Stutters are still there where they normally were. RT-on performance was still really bad. Of course, this game is an oddity that loves to just randomly perform like crap even when nothing was going on in the game nor in the background of my PC.

16 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Subjectively, not much of a change in RT-off performance. Stutters are still there where they normally were. RT-on performance was still really bad. Of course, this game is an oddity that loves to just randomly perform like crap even when nothing was going on in the game nor in the background of my PC.

I wonder if console versions run better? I have no issues with anything in this game. I'm on PS5. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I wonder if console versions run better? I have no issues with anything in this game. I'm on PS5. 

I'm sure it does because it either has a 30 fps or 60 fps cap. I just don't want to play below 60 fps because I have a 240 Hz monitor :p

So what I had to do is install the FSR3 frame gen mod and then cap my framerate to alleviate the stuttering. As a bonus I also installed a mod that makes the game look better without decreasing performance.  But I still have to turn off ray tracing.

The performance issues are entirely CPU-related, which consoles can work around with the right development. However on PC, it's harder to bypass a CPU limitation by just changing graphics settings. If I was on the latest generation of new CPUs I could brute force the game to be good enough, though.

• Thanks 1

This thread reminded me that they implemented to start a new Game+, reinstalled and played through a few encounters. Turned on RT again and DLSS Quality with Frame Gen.

Most of the sections were close to 120fps, with drops into the 90s (@ 3440x1400).  The shader compilation stutter is still there, and obvious when it happens.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm sure it does because it either has a 30 fps or 60 fps cap

console versions don’t have ray tracing any more, so the biggest hit to their performance is now gone. If PC performance is solid without RT, then I’d bet the PC version is overall better since you can likely turn up other settings while keeping at or above 60fps. 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

console versions don’t have ray tracing any more, so the biggest hit to their performance is now gone. If PC performance is solid without RT, then I’d bet the PC version is overall better since you can likely turn up other settings while keeping at or above 60fps. 

I never even noticed RT when it was initially in. 

16 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The performance mode doesn't have Ray Tracing.  The quality mode still does.

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I never even noticed RT when it was initially in. 

It wasn't as impactful to me as it is in some other games.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The performance mode doesn't have Ray Tracing.  The quality mode still does.

Ah well most of what I said is still true. You can more easily turn up graphical settings with RT off on PC and stay above 60fps, still making it perform better than the console performance mode. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...