Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update: Stig Asmussen (director of Fallen Order/Survivor) is departing EA/Respawn

I'm probably about 2/3 of the way through.

Spoiler

I just killed Rayvis.

I think I have finally unlocked all of the traversal mechanics (just unlocked the grapple onto the floating "balloon" platforms).  Moving through the levels can now be very fun/technical, and Respawn have done a good job of "hiding" collectibles in interesting spaces.  I really think they've hit the right balance on making traversal accessible, without making it super difficult.  It feels like you're accomplishing something, without getting frustrated.

They've mostly hit the right balance on combat as well.  Outside of the legendary monsters, at least.  Combat feels very much you are using a light sabre (unlike SW:FO, where you were using a glowing bat).  It does visible damage to your enemies.  I think they have also hit a good balance of needing to be offensive and defensive -- you need to combine the both to be successful.  None of it is overly difficult, however if you decide to button mash in most battles-- you're going to die a lot against a lot of the mobs.

I am, however, not a huge fan of their design decisions on the Skill Tree and the stances.  Since the granting of skill points is pretty stingy, you need a lot of them to upgrade a stance, and you can only equip two stances at a time -- the obvious strategy seems to be to spend all of your skill points into very targeted areas.  But, what is the point of having these stances unlocked, if you don't get to use them?

I think this point ties back into my frustration in the open world.  You NEED to explore to get extra aforementioned skill points along with Stims/Force/Health/Perks/etc. -- however, you're frequently blocked by Metroidvania barriers.  I am not sure when the designers intended you to explore to find these things -- I assume that they want you to do some of it as you play, and others at different points in the game.  I wish there was a better design language to highlight that.  There have been too many times I was trying to get somewhere, only to find the dreaded "floating balloon" mid-way through, or the unopenable red box (which i still don't have the power to unlock).

Those criticisms don't dampen much how great a game this is.  Nor does the technical complaints, with Ray Tracing off, the gameplay portions are 99.9% stutter free and running at a 80+ fps framerate.  The stutter happens, but for me, it mostly happens when moving between areas or in cut scenes.  The combat and traversal are so much fun, that these small technical complaints shouldn't dissuade you from playing.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think I have finally unlocked all of the traversal mechanics (just unlocked the grapple onto the floating "balloon" platforms).  Moving through the levels can now be very fun/technical, and Respawn have done a good job of "hiding" collectibles in interesting spaces.  I really think they've hit the right balance on making traversal accessible, without making it super difficult.  It feels like you're accomplishing something, without getting frustrated.

They've mostly hit the right balance on combat as well.  Outside of the legendary monsters, at least.  Combat feels very much you are using a light sabre (unlike SW:FO, where you were using a glowing bat).  It does visible damage to your enemies.  I think they have also hit a good balance of needing to be offensive and defensive -- you need to combine the both to be successful.  None of it is overly difficult, however if you decide to button mash in most battles-- you're going to die a lot against a lot of the mobs.

I am, however, not a huge fan of their design decisions on the Skill Tree and the stances.  Since the granting of skill points is pretty stingy, you need a lot of them to upgrade a stance, and you can only equip two stances at a time -- the obvious strategy seems to be to spend all of your skill points into very targeted areas.  But, what is the point of having these stances unlocked, if you don't get to use them?

I think this point ties back into my frustration in the open world.  You NEED to explore to get extra aforementioned skill points along with Stims/Force/Health/Perks/etc. -- however, you're frequently blocked by Metroidvania barriers.  I am not sure when the designers intended you to explore to find these things -- I assume that they want you to do some of it as you play, and others at different points in the game.  I wish there was a better design language to highlight that.  There have been too many times I was trying to get somewhere, only to find the dreaded "floating balloon" mid-way through, or the unopenable red box (which i still don't have the power to unlock).

Those criticisms don't dampen much how great a game this is.  Nor does the technical complaints, with Ray Tracing off, the gameplay portions are 99.9% stutter free and running at a 80+ fps framerate.  The stutter happens, but for me, it mostly happens when moving between areas or in cut scenes.  The combat and traversal are so much fun, that these small technical complaints shouldn't dissuade you from playing.

Definitely agreed on the skill tree. Guess they had multiple play throughs in mind as I only want to use and max out the one handed stance. And survival and force would be the others

I think I'm closing in on the end here. It reads 17 hours played and according to what the story is saying I'm pretty close to beating this. 

My one complaint is that there isn't enough planets. I count two and a moon lol. Still, phenomenal game.

• Halal 1

PS5 glitch

Not sure if anyone has encountered this glitch yet. But I couldn’t use BD-1 which ended my progress in a particular level. Anything R1 button related wouldn’t work either, which sucked because it would have REALLY come in handy here. Tried saving and reloading and nothing worked. Had to hard restart the console  to get it working again. I guess I’m about 20 hours in and this has been my first major bug. Loving this game but this one was kind of a big letdown. Like I said earlier, I’ll probably be finished with this game by the time they get it smoothed out. 

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Reveal hidden contents

I do agree with you but I guess that's why they let you re-set all your skill points at mediation sites. So you can you use what you want or maybe switch to something else if you are having a problem with a particular enemy. I assume if they let you use every skill at once you would be unbeatable. Stances should all be available at any time. i don't understand why they aren't.

• True 1

42 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I do agree with you but I guess that's why they let you re-set all your skill points at mediation sites. So you can you use what you want or maybe switch to something else if you are having a problem with a particular enemy. I assume if they let you use every skill at once you would be unbeatable. Stances should all be available at any time. i do understand why they aren't.

Good points. How far a long are you?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Good points. How far a long are you?

Just made it through the forest. Put difficulty up a notch. It just seemed to easy before. Great game though. I play in small spurts so it’ll take me a while to beat it. 

Just now, Biggie said:

Just made it through the forest. Put difficulty up a notch. It just seemed to easy before. Great game though. I play in small spurts so it’ll take me a while to beat it. 

Some of the bosses are too difficult for me so I have to lower the difficulty to face them. I hate doing that but my skills have significantly diminished. 

It’s nice that current gen seems to finally be coming into its own this year, lots of really incredible looking games releasing and this one is way up there. Performance is great now with the dlss3 mod, everything maxed out 4k fsr ultra quality 100-120fps with minimal traversal stutter. I’m mostly concerned about getting to that crashing planet and am hoping for another patch before I get there!

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s nice that current gen seems to finally be coming into its own this year, lots of really incredible looking games releasing and this one is way up there. Performance is great now with the dlss3 mod, everything maxed out 4k fsr ultra quality 100-120fps with minimal traversal stutter. I’m mostly concerned about getting to that crashing planet and am hoping for another patch before I get there!

Unlike the first game, you end up bouncing back between the different locations pretty frequently. You go to Jedha the first time, pretty early. 

I just got to the third planet. I'm milking every planet as much as I can based on my abilities. Honestly when I see my time played it doesn't seem right at 12 hrs. Maybe another one of the NUMEROUS glitches this game has. Can't count how many times I've seen some ish in this game that wasn't intentional. 

I turned RTX back on. After playing so long with it I could just see too many times the lighting and rendering wasn’t really standing up. There was a cutscene where Cal’s hair and beard indoors was just a flat orange. 

I’ve been doing a lot of exploring on Koboh. Hardly any on Jeddah. I wonder if where I’m at in the story I’m gonna be making one more trip there. I think I’m done with the moon though, story wise. 

Yeah I wish there were more planets on this adventure. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Google is wrong. There are 2 planets and a moon. 

Yeah. I’m sure Google is wrong but the guy who gets lost and disoriented in every game he plays is correct. 

Spoiler

There are six planets in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.Below, you'll find a full list of all planets in the order you'll encounter them:

• Coruscant
  • Koboh
  • Jedha
  • Shattered Moon
  • Nova Garon
  • Tanalorr

Okay, not all of them are technically planets, as the Shattered Moon is a... well, moon. But, that never stopped people from adoring Endor for the past few decades, so we've included it in the list above.

• Haha 1

Just now, Biggie said:

I do so much better with the single lightsaber stance than anything else so far. 

Reveal hidden contents

I haven't used the blaster once. All about the lightsaber in Star Wars.

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Probably. I'll find out very soon. I'm waking up at 2am tonight to play 3 hours before work. I should close in on the end. 

Jesus man you crazy

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I haven't used the blaster once. All about the lightsaber in Star Wars.

It might be good for hitting enemies from a distance to weaken them

16 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Jesus man you crazy

It might be good for hitting enemies from a distance to weaken them

Nah. I deflect there lasers with my Saber and kill them that way. 

I'm going to bed soon so I'll get plenty of sleep. I just am excited to play this game.

• Hugs 2

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Yeah. I’m sure Google is wrong but the guy who gets lost and disoriented in every game he plays is correct. 

Hide contents

There are six planets in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.Below, you'll find a full list of all planets in the order you'll encounter them:

• Coruscant
  • Koboh
  • Jedha
  • Shattered Moon
  • Nova Garon
  • Tanalorr

Okay, not all of them are technically planets, as the Shattered Moon is a... well, moon. But, that never stopped people from adoring Endor for the past few decades, so we've included it in the list above.

spoilers:

Spoiler

Nova Garon is a base on a meteor I think. pretty sure you 100% it during the story mission. its pretty short. 

Tanalorr is obv a planet but there really isnt much to explore or find (obviously). you just beeline to the temple for the finale

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

I played all single saber. I put a bunch of points into the confusion tree, which really helped late game. 

one thing I wasted was 5 data discs on increased experience. barely made a difference. 

I've noticed that too. The extra experience perk does almost nothing. Yet another glitch I reckon