Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - Information Thread, update: Stig Asmussen (director of Fallen Order/Survivor) is departing EA/Respawn

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I assumed there might be since the game is supposed to have ray tracing. So my guess is without ray tracing upwards of 60 and with 30. But I could be wrong. 

That would be phenomenal if it has 60. I'm ok with 30 if it ends up being my only option. I just hope this looks "next-gen" :s

I've only seen two trailers for this. Haven't read any reviews or watched video reviews. I'm going in pretty blind. 

I'm not the biggest star wars fan but I do appreciate it. I hope the combat is a lot of fun because that is a huge selling point for me these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I've only seen two trailers for this. Haven't read any reviews or watched video reviews. I'm going in pretty blind. 

I'm not the biggest star wars fan but I do appreciate it. I hope the combat is a lot of fun because that is a huge selling point for me these days.

Definitely let us know what you think! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Watched the IGN review. Nothing big seems spoiled, but some fights and who's in them probably make it not worth watching if you're looking to stay completely clean having played Fallen Order.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yep, my plan is to avoid all Jedi Survivor media until I’ve beaten it. Which includes reviews and previews since I’ve already bought and downloaded it. I don’t need to be convinced and hyped. 

This is the approach I’ve had for years. Any big release that I’m really anticipating, I pretty much go in blind. Reminds me of the old NES days when you bought or rented a game not knowing what you were about to experience. lol

5 hours ago, best3444 said:

I really hope it’s good and not an abortion 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I really hope it’s good and not an abortion 

Sadge news incoming... Maybe not for you, but for anyone who doesn't have a $500 current gen CPU + 4090, the game may run like shit.

STAR-WARS-Jedi-Survivor-new-feature.jpg
WWW.DSOGAMING.COM

According to reports, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor currently has major CPU and VRAM optimization issues on PC.

-16GB+ VRAM usage

-only using 4 cores on a 5900x, which is only hitting 50 fps.

I have a 5900x. No game has ever been CPU limited to below 60 fps; my GPU has always been the bottleneck, and only with RT effects.

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There were allegedly lots of issues with review code on PS5, that  were mostly fixed by patch that came out day before embargo. Or, that’s what I heard Greg Miller say. Heard similar things in Patrick Klepek’s article on Vice. 

There is a PC patch due on launch day. 

I’d like to think that the day one patch will fix most issues considering how old-hat the game engine is, but who knows at this point lol

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There were allegedly lots of issues with review code on PS5, that  were mostly fixed by patch that came out day before embargo. Or, that’s what I heard Greg Miller say. Heard similar things in Patrick Klepek’s article on Vice. 

There is a PC patch due on launch day. 

I want to believe, but history says...:lol:

I feel like outlets like PC Gamer and the like should take up the cause of suggesting that the PC releases of any big game should be staggered by a few weeks to allow for final tweaking. The reality is that PC is rarely the design target for most games, so why not let the consoles go first by 2-4 weeks and let the PC code get its final ironing out? I can wait a few more weeks for a better initial experience. We can say things like, "The PC version is a port handled by another team anyway so there is no excuse!" But I think history shows there is some kind of issue here that isn't getting addressed. I'm not talking about a game like Cyberpunk where it clearly just wasn't ready, I'm talking about games like the Calisto Protocol where patches, in a relatively short window after launch, addressed the majority of the key performance concerns. It didn't save us from the game's significant design issues mind you, but it ironed out a lot of the technical wrinkles! 

9 hours ago, nublood said:

This is the approach I’ve had for years. Any big release that I’m really anticipating, I pretty much go in blind. Reminds me of the old NES days when you bought or rented a game not knowing what you were about to experience. lol

First game I did a media blackout on intentionally was MGS3. I saw the E3 and then nothing else. And it was hard because I was moderating a MGS forum at the time and stuff like character bios for all the bosses from voice actor casting sheets got leaked. Other trailers came out. But oh was it worth it. While some people were disappointed there weren’t enough surprises and big moments they didn’t already know about, pretty much it was ALL surprises to me. 

luckily nothing has been spoiled for me yet, even though some Star Wars YouTubers that show up in my recommended feed already have full game impressions videos up. What made me so made with the first game was

the surprise of Darth Vader showing up

which was both in thumbnails and video titles the week Fallen Order released. I’m sure it would have been a cool surprise and I wasn’t even looking for videos about the game.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I feel like outlets like PC Gamer and the like should take up the cause of suggesting that the PC releases of any big game should be staggered by a few weeks to allow for final tweaking. The reality is that PC is rarely the design target for most games, so why not let the consoles go first by 2-4 weeks and let the PC code get its final ironing out? I can wait a few more weeks for a better initial experience. We can say things like, "The PC version is a port handled by another team anyway so there is no excuse!" But I think history shows there is some kind of issue here that isn't getting addressed. I'm not talking about a game like Cyberpunk where it clearly just wasn't ready, I'm talking about games like the Calisto Protocol where patches, in a relatively short window after launch, addressed the majority of the key performance concerns. It didn't save us from the game's significant design issues mind you, but it ironed out a lot of the technical wrinkles! 

I said something similar though you provided a solution

20 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

PC gamer hate streak continues (not that 80 is a bad score) but they gave Honkai Star Rail a 90. There's no way any of you are playing that over this game.

Also, they've been constantly penalizing a game for performance issues and while that seems like a valid complaint a launch, a lot of games they've been slamming have gotten performance improvements after launch of course, but they'll never change the review to reflect that. Overall unless the issues are crippling I think that maybe PC Gamer reviews aren't the best to go on.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I’ll be honest, I have not been a PC game for most of my gaming life. Maybe it’s a rose colored glasses kind of thing, but I kind of miss when games were made for PC and then over 2-4 months were tuned for console. In most cases needing many things to be scaled back. I think it pushed console hardware as much as it encourages game developers to push game dev tech. PC versions of games were simply being made to do things consoles couldn’t. 

it was why moving on from the Xbox to the Xbox 360 in 4 years just felt right. Instead of consoles holding back game development they were barely keeping up. And it’s why new generation of console hardware was then so exciting. But then that changed during the lifespan of the Xbox 360, which lead to the underpowered PS4 and Xbone. 

3 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’ll be honest, I have not been a PC game for most of my gaming life. Maybe it’s a rose colored glasses kind of thing, but I kind of miss when games were made for PC and then over 2-4 months were tuned for console. In most cases needing many things to be scaled back. I think it pushed console hardware as much as it encourages game developers to push game dev tech. PC versions of games were simply being made to do things consoles couldn’t. 

it was why moving on from the Xbox to the Xbox 360 in 4 years just felt right. Instead of consoles holding back game development they were barely keeping up. And it’s why new generation of console hardware was then so exciting. But then that changed during the lifespan of the Xbox 360, which lead to the underpowered PS4 and Xbone. 

I miss those days as well, but the market will likely never return to such days as the "Applefication" of tech has trained the majority of Earth's population to expect "turnkey" technology. 

23 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I miss those days as well, but the market will likely never return to such days as the "Applefication" of tech has trained the majority of Earth's population to expect "turnkey" technology. 

yeah. It’s just easier to build for the lowest common denominator and then scale up than it is to shoot for the stars and figure out a way to fit on older, weaker, hardware. Which often meant practically developing a completely different game. Like the PS2/GCN vs PC/XBX versions of the OG Splinter Cell. They basically made that game from scratch twice. 

but I think back then is always why PC gaming still has the “expensive” label, because a graphics card on PC could feel out of dat in a couple years compared to now where a 1060 is still common and commonly supported. 

There was a point in time in the late 2000s-early 2010s where PC ports were in a bad state, then after a lot of outcry devs/pubs got their shit together and the majority of PC ports were fine, especially during the PS4/Xbone era, but this past year or so we’ve seemed to regress heavily 

• True 1

Yeah according to Jeff Gerstmann, he was hearing horrific things about the PS5 version prior to patch.

Here's an excerpt from his Discord:

Well... yeah, I don't know. The patches they're promising will hit before launch are supposed to fix a lot of performance issues across all platforms. Next one is supposed to hit tomorrow, just before the game goes live. I occasionally saw some spotty performance, but had a lot of spots where it ran just fine, too. Dunno. My problem was that it just kept crashing.
They're saying that the crash issues are definitely going to be fixed by tomorrow. I hope they're right!
I'm a little surprised to see the high scores, I heard extremely bad things about perf on PS5 last week from someone else playing through it. Maybe the first patch there fixed everything.
That said, I played the first hour or so on PS5 since PC wasn't working out for me and didn't see any major performance problems.
Though, haha, it did manage to crash on me.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’d like to think that the day one patch will fix most issues considering how old-hat the game engine is, but who knows at this point lol

I mean, there will still be bugs/optimization needed.  But, all the angst over "every cutscene is unwatchable due to broken audio" and "even 16GB of VRAM isn't enough for 1440p" is hard for me to believe will be the case tomorrow.

This isn't CDPR, Bethesda or Boiware.  It's Respawn.

43 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You're absolutely right.  I've been reacting to the doom posting in some corners of the internet suggesting it will be completely unplayable.

I do have a hot take though.  PC Gamers are used to playing games that were designed to be played on consoles that were designed in 2013.   Now that games are dropping support for them, they will need to readjust their performance expectations.

If you are running a game on a 2018-era GPU (almost 5-years old) with 8GB of VRAM, things may not go well for you.  The reality is, game development has system requirements that aren't a smooth curve, they are a step-function.  And that step-function is driven by console generations.

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah according to Jeff Gerstmann, he was hearing horrific things about the PS5 version prior to patch.

Here's an excerpt from his Discord:

Klepek said much the same thing:

1682520154985-jedi1.jpeg?image-resize-op
WWW.VICE.COM

What to make of 10 hours with a video game that had performance issues, only to have many of those issues disappear right before release? A conundrum.

t’s also been a time marred by gnarly performances issues on my PlayStation 5 copy of the game, resulting in…well, that’s where this whole review conceit falls apart. See, I could give you two paragraphs of the frame rate issues that partially defined my 10 hours, but those issues seem to have largely disappeared when a last-minute patch for the game dropped. Frame rate hiccups bother me less than other people I know, but still, they did notably impact my ability to play the game, and those experiences affected my impressions of Jedi Survivor. But it all happened in a version you’ll never play?

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I mean, there will still be bugs/optimization needed.

Of course, but only 4 CPU threads being used and the VRAM issues are what I'd hope to be addressed. 

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

My GPU is newer but still has only 8GB VRAM. 

My guess the high reviews scores are because either Respawn/EA promised a patch would fix stuff day one, or the reviewer assumed a patch would fix stuff day one. 

3070? I have a feeling, post-patch, you'll be able to drop textures down by one click and hopefully be fine.

14 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

My GPU is newer but still has only 8GB VRAM. 

My guess the high reviews scores are because either Respawn/EA promised a patch would fix stuff day one, or the reviewer assumed a patch would fix stuff day one. 

Respawn provided a detailed list to reviewers of how they should play the game (i.e. with internet connections and HDR turned off).  They also provided a list of fixes planned to be in the Day 1 patch.

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

3070? I have a feeling, post-patch, you'll be able to drop textures down by one click and hopefully be fine.

Basically ,3070Ti. My plan was to set the resolution at 1440p and turn everything up as much as I could get away with and stay above 60fps consistently with no screen tearing.  

30 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Of course, but only 4 CPU threads being used and the VRAM issues are what I'd hope to be addressed. 

Yes.  I am hoping/expecting (perhaps unreasonably) that my 4080 will run this game:

• 60fps+ consistent at 1440p ultrawide with FSR Quality
  • No stuttering in cutscenes
  • No more than 1 crash to desktop every 5 hours
  • No game progress blocking bugs

I want it to be better than that, but won't be upset if these are met.

star-wars-jedi-survivor-1.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Despite a delay for polishing, the game looks set to launch with a significant number of issues…

Shortly after reviews dropped on Wednesday, EA said the game’s first patch will arrive on launch day for all platforms.

And “in the weeks ahead”, it’s planning to release patches that will fix bugs, improve performance and introduce more accessibility features.

Or, you could've just postponed the release for another month?

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Despite a delay for polishing, the game looks set to launch with a significant number of issues…

But the Q2 books…

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oh, so "finish Hogwarts Legacy" first, then? :dab2: