EA seeking a merger/buyout

crispy4000

This feels like a Tencent deal to me but the article links talks with Apple, Amazon, Disney, and NBCUniversal. My left field partner would be Netflix.  Watch the F1 series then hop over to play F1 game and Ultimate Team/Driver. Feels like the best fit out of the media companies. Too bad Netflix is broke like a joke. 

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

EA's current market capitalization is $38 billion.

Ain't no buyout happening at that price.

The article mentions Wilson wants a merger where he remains CEO. I can’t imagine that happening with any of the major players. 

• Halal 2

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

EA's current market capitalization is $38 billion.

Ain't no buyout happening at that price.

The fact that this dumpster fire of a company has a cap of $38bill just goes to show how strong the NFL and FIFA licenses are.

Literally the only thing they've done for the past 10 years is buy good developers and immediately run them into the ground.

27 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

The fact that this dumpster fire of a company has a cap of $38bill just goes to show how strong the NFL and FIFA licenses are.

Literally the only thing they've done for the past 10 years is buy good developers and immediately run them into the ground.

They don’t even have the FIFA license anymore

3 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

They don’t even have the FIFA license anymore

Wouldn't shock me if the FIFA license loss is strongly related to this news. 

The NFL has gotten at least a little more loosey goosey with their license recently as well, with the vague "simulation" exclusivity given to EA. 

While generally consolidation is probably a net negative, I am jonesing for a new studio to get their chance to make an NFL (or college) simulation of football. It's kind of an under the radar shame that the most popular sport in the country has just had the most ho-hum effort into translating it into video game form for like 10+ years now. 

48 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Surely they would be more confident in their soccer game than whoever and whenever FIFA makes a new soccer game.

I think the newly named one will probably do fine, but do the people in charge of deciding if they should merge / sell themselves? Not sure. They must feel the name is worth quite a bit if they were shelling out like 150 million a year for it or whatever. 

FIFA wanted some insane amount of money for the license. And really the main thing that license gets you is the World Cup branding. All the other teams and leagues in the world are separate. So really it seemed more like EA made a financial decision that the World Cup wasn’t worth what they were asking. Odd in a World Cup year but 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

FIFA wanted some insane amount of money for the license. And really the main thing that license gets you is the World Cup branding. All the other teams and leagues in the world are separate. So really it seemed more like EA made a financial decision that the World Cup wasn’t worth what they were asking. Odd in a World Cup year but 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think they wanted 300 million a year up from 150 million. And FIFA wanted to farm the name out to other devs for mobile games and whatnot. 

I don’t think it’s as simple as just saying it just gets them the World Cup branding though. It’s true that the game will feature everything but the World Cup branding and fifa name, but EA does benefit in some capacity from that FIFA name, you know? 

Like, madden would still sell very well if it were called “EA Sports NFL Football” or whatever, but it would probably take some kind of hit. 

But I agree I’m sure they did the math and were just like, eh, fuck off we can do just fine calling this something else. 

I could see Sony doing it financially, but EA's most valuable properties at this point wouldn't necessarily make sense as PS exclusives, so I don't think they would. Amazon or Disney makes the most sense. Or Tencent, obviously.

I wonder what that would mean for the future of Kingdom Hearts if Disney bought EA

On 5/21/2022 at 9:14 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I could see Sony doing it financially, but EA's most valuable properties at this point wouldn't necessarily make sense as PS exclusives, so I don't think they would. Amazon or Disney makes the most sense. Or Tencent, obviously.

I wonder what that would mean for the future of Kingdom Hearts if Disney bought EA

With Sony it’d have to be a merger, there’s no way they’d cough up what EA would ask for otherwise.

They did buy Bungie and made MLB multi-platform, so that part of it may not be a huge hurdle anymore.

Wasn’t Sony on record saying that they had like 18 billion to spend on acquisitions over the next year or two. Plus EA doesn’t really make sense for them. 

Like others have said I think they make sense for someone looking to crack into the business like Netflix or Amazon or a mega conglomeration like Tencent. 

Whoever buys them I hope they bring back the extreme line of sports games 

On 5/20/2022 at 6:32 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Don'tbefacebookDon'tbefacebookDon'tbefacebookDon'tbefacebookDon'tbefacebookDon'tbefacebook

Exxon Presents: Football Game 2025

On 5/20/2022 at 7:53 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This feels like a Tencent deal to me but the article links talks with Apple, Amazon, Disney, and NBCUniversal. My left field partner would be Netflix.  Watch the F1 series then hop over to play F1 game and Ultimate Team/Driver. Feels like the best fit out of the media companies. Too bad Netflix is broke like a joke. 

Netflix Presents: Ricky Gervais'field 2043: The Trans Wars