Films You Can No Longer Watch as They've Been Ruined by the Actions of Those Involved

20 hours ago, SimpleG said:

When ever this topic comes up I am reminded that @GeneticBlueprint explained to me how to separate man from art.

Some of my favorite films are from Roman Polanski

Black Metal is teeming with White Nationalists but if its good , Ill listen

The last Manson album was pretty good and I still listen to it

As much as I hate Jackie Chan , his fight choreography is second to none.

And I fathom most of us on here have played games made by some real shit heel companies .

I am sure  if someone wanted to they could find out that every piece of media has a dick bag of an individual connected. 

what did Jackie Chan do??

For myself, I dont particularly disassociate myself from movies or things I previously enjoyed but I have noticed that "negative" info on some folks does tend to affect my opinion of folks to where I would avoid stuff theyre involved in.

I think it’s such a personal decision. Like, Roman Polanski is a monster, a rapist piece of shit, but I still rewatch Chinatown because it’s incredible and a very important American film. However, I wouldn’t judge nor ridicule anyone who chooses not to view his works. And I think that’s key; it’s up to the individual to decide what works they don’t want to engage with, and up to the rest of us to respect those choices. 

• True 1

20 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Tom Cruise is batshit crazy, and locked Katie Holmes in a basement...

... but dammit if I don't NEED to see Top Gun 2 on the largest screen ever created by man. 

Don't forget the next two Mission Impossible films, totally stoked for them! Tom absolutely makes EVENT films to be seen on the largest screens.

13 hours ago, Moa said:

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Hitler's paintings.

What about his Vegan diet?

• Halal 1

Most recently, Cas Anvar was a rough one. He was one of the best characters on the expanse, and sadly season 6 was worse without him. That said, he definitely had to go, but damn, his absence was felt strongly. I was watching s3 again recently, and realized that was my problem with s6, it didn't feel right without him

• Halal 1

21 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Most recently, Cas Anvar was a rough one. He was one of the best characters on the expanse, and sadly season 6 was worse without him. That said, he definitely had to go, but damn, his absence was felt strongly. I was watching s3 again recently, and realized that was my problem with s6, it didn't feel right without him

Yup losing Alex was tough and broke the chemistry of the crew. That said, you're right, dude had to go. 

• Sad 1

On 4/24/2022 at 3:38 AM, stepee said:

I loved Sixith Sense when it came out and enjoyed Unbreakable but I can’t watch them or any M Night Shyamalan movie anymore, just can’t look past it.

On 4/24/2022 at 4:01 AM, stepee said:

He released The Village.

By the way, I don't often actually laugh out loud when I read something, but this legit made me cackle.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I certainly understand people who can't separate art from artist at all, but that's not me. I don't generally think about the actors or directors while I'm watching something.

Same, except in a very few instances. 

I absolutely can't watch the cosby show. I tried watching some clips just to see how I felt, and wow. It's creepy.

That said, I have no problem watching CK, or Joss Whedon (which I still think is an overreaction to "the boss is mean and liked to sleep around") give me no problems. I still watch Miramax movies, because lets face it, they made some of the best movies of the 90's. 

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I certainly understand people who can't separate art from artist at all, but that's not me. I don't generally think about the actors or directors while I'm watching something.

I find it difficult to believe that people are able to compartmentalize to the point that this NEVER comes up for them and this is coming from a world class compartmentalizer. :p

I said Woody Allen before, but I'm not a big fan so it's not like it comes up often for me. But I genuinely don't see how someone could watch Manhattan and NOT have IRL Woody Allen affect the experience unless they had no idea what he was about. Same with something like Louie. I get someone being able to make it through The Pianist without Polanski's shit coming to mind. With someone like Chappelle, if a Chapelle's Show skit comes up or someone references it, the first thing that comes to my mind isn't that he's on Team TERF.

Or as someone else mentioned... not that anyone should watch American Beauty but I don't know how anyone could fail to think of Spacey's real life when his character almost fucks a child.

21 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I find it difficult to believe that people are able to compartmentalize to the point that this NEVER comes up for them and this is coming from a world class compartmentalizer. :p

I said Woody Allen before, but I'm not a big fan so it's not like it comes up often for me. But I genuinely don't see how someone could watch Manhattan and NOT have IRL Woody Allen affect the experience unless they had no idea what he was about. Same with something like Louie. I get someone being able to make it through The Pianist without Polanski's shit coming to mind. With someone like Chappelle, if a Chapelle's Show skit comes up or someone references it, the first thing that comes to my mind isn't that he's on Team TERF.

Or as someone else mentioned... not that anyone should watch American Beauty but I don't know how anyone could fail to think of Spacey's real life when his character almost fucks a child.

Separating the art from the artist is about criticism. It is saying that the Pianist is not a bad movie because Polanski is a rapist. If the movie was otherwise identical but had been made by someone else, it would still be the same movie of the same quality. If it was discovered that Shakespeare was a serial killer, it would not mean that we had been collectively duped into loving and imitating bad art for the last 400 years.

Separating the art form the artist does not mean you can't or shouldn't be uncomfortable consuming art from bad people. It doesn't mean that art cannot be ruined for you by the actions of the artist. It just means the the art itself is not ruined.

It's also not an unimpeachable concept written into the fundamental particles of the universe. I could start throwing around the words intent, context, subjectivity, and objectivity, but then we'd have an essay on our hands and I won't be a part of that.