Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I really don't have anything to say about the technical/performance aspects of this vehicle, but its aesthetics are just unappealing on every possible level to me.

If I'm gonna get a pickup truck, I really do want it to actually look like a pickup truck.

Seriously can't comprehend why anybody would buy one of these instead of an F-150 Lightning

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Seriously can't comprehend why anybody would buy one of these instead of an F-150 Lightning

That bed just doesn't seem very practical from a size standpoint at all if this picture of a spare resting in it is remotely accurate:

1701378350507-png.30655

The sidewalls just protrude into the bed way too much as well.

• True 1

They're also selling a range extender that brings the battery range up to about what it was supposed to be when they first announced this thing, but it means that you have even less space in the bed which, if that one picture from a couple of weeks ago can be believed, already struggles to fit a bike properly.

INSIDEEVS.COM

A bed-mounted optional range extender battery will add 130+ miles to the Cybertruck All-Wheel Drive and 120+ miles to the tri-motor Cyberbeast.

52 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I find it hard to believe that most of the 2 million full-size trucks that were sold in America in 2022 are used for business purposes, or even for true truck stuff.  They are mostly pavement princesses. 

There's also a perverse incentive toward huge vehicles for businesses in the tax code. If you buy something classified as a light duty vehicle then you can take all the depreciation on the vehicle upfront on your tax return for the year you buy it. But if you buy a normal car then there's a multi-year partial depreciation schedule you have to follow.

23 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The sidewalls are going to make it very difficult to fit the standard working gear like bed toolboxes, addons, racks into the bed.

This really, really isn't a "working person's truck" at all.

And among other reasons it's stupid that they're going with stainless steel instead of normal car materials is that apparently that means most body shops won't be able to work on it-->it's probably going to be absurdly expensive to get any body fixes done.

My little Ranger had the spare slung underneath, trucks meant for work are probably going to pick up a nail or screw at some point, so having a spare tire is nifty.  Of course trucks meant for work would also be able to take a bed toolbox.  Just like the trucker's friend, the Tesla Semi and its goofy center cabin seat, gonna be able to hand that paperwork to the guard shack nice and easy, after you stand up and bend through the window

13 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Or even a Rivian (yes, I know, substantial price difference vs the “base” Cybertruck price :p ). It has a god damn built-in kitchen as a factory option:

IMG_2398.jpeg 

• Shocked 3

16 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Or even a Rivian (yes, I know, substantial price difference vs the “base” Cybertruck price :p ). It has a god damn built-in kitchen as a factory option:

IMG_2398.jpeg 

That thing is so cool. If I lived in the PNW and went hiking and camping and shit I'd totally consider one. I live in TX I only stay where there's AC.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That bed just doesn't seem very practical from a size standpoint at all if this picture of a spare resting in it is remotely accurate:

1701378350507-png.30655

The sidewalls just protrude into the bed way too much as well.

That bed looks as useless as the bed on the Hummer.

18 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Agreed. Personally I think the price is outrageous as you alluded to but I can at least get it from an aesthetic perspective.

Hmm, the price isn’t as bad as I remembered. Looks like the Rivian R1T starts at $75k with 290 mile range and the large battery version is $85k with a 350+ mile range. The base Lightning is only $50k but only has a 230 mile range, the extended battery version pushes it to 320 miles but starts at $70k. If you care about 0-60 times on a truck (lol, I know, but these people do exist) the top end lightning is around 3.8 seconds, the R1T base is around 3.5, the large battery quad motor variant gets “sub-3 seconds”.

Not sure if the price dropped on the Rivian or if I’m just remembering all the added mark-up when they first came out :p 

On 12/1/2023 at 6:09 AM, Spork3245 said:

IMG_2398.jpeg 

Damn, I’m not a vehicle guy but this seems infinitely cooler to me than weirdo bullet armor stuff 

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

Damn, I’m not a vehicle guy but this seems infinitely cooler to me than weirdo bullet armor stuff 

The F150 Lightning has a neat trick too: if you have a power inverter installed on the line that has the charger, if your power goes out in your house (and the Lightning is plugged into its charger) it automatically turns into a generator and can power a house for 4-5 days (that number is conservative. In their tests it lasted over a week in some cases).

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The F150 Lightning has a neat trick too: if you have a power inverter installed on the line that has the charger, if your power goes out in your house (and the Lightning is plugged into its charger) it automatically turns into a generator and can power a house for 4-5 days (that number is conservative. In their tests it lasted over a week in some cases).

But how does it withstand an army of assassins chasing you down with crossbows?

12 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Eh? My Colorado has a bigger bed than this, judging from the photo. And the spare tire is on the underside of the truck, which is the case for them all.

The Rivian is sooooo ugly.

I think there's an argument to be made that many people will take an ugly vehicle if it has great utility...but unfortunately in this case, the ugliest vehicle (cybertruck) has the worst utility. The Rivian at least has some utility.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think there's an argument to be made that many people will take an ugly vehicle if it has great utility...but unfortunately in this case, the ugliest vehicle (cybertruck) has the worst utility. The Rivian at least has some utility.

I'm not arguing against that. But for me, the thing is too ugly to want to own.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I'm not sure how the wattage compares, but the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Ioniq 6 do this as well, as does the Kia EV6. 

25 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'm not sure how the wattage compares, but the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Ioniq 6 do this as well, as does the Kia EV6. 

Looks like you need to run cords to individual devices and it only lasts a handful of hours if I’m understanding this correctly:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-kia-ev6-wind-awd-yearlong-review-update-1-bidirectional-home-charger/amp/

The Lightning just kicks on as a generator automatically if your house loses power and powers your whole house. It works like an actual large back up generator attached to a house.

• Halal 1