Pedo guy megalomaniacal manchild officially owns Twitter

I'm on Bluesky (I have 3 invites if somebody needs them btw), and really the only thing preventing me from switching there full time at this point is that Twitter is still genuinely useful for weather, and I don't see a lot of the weather accounts on follow on Bluesky yet, like the region-specific National Weather Service accounts. Twitter really is an absolute cesspool at this point. Every ad I see is for bottom-tier right-wing news sites or crypto scams.

53 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I'm on Bluesky (I have 3 invites if somebody needs them btw), and really the only thing preventing me from switching there full time at this point is that Twitter is still genuinely useful for weather, and I don't see a lot of the weather accounts on follow on Bluesky yet, like the region-specific National Weather Service accounts. Twitter really is an absolute cesspool at this point. Every ad I see is for bottom-tier right-wing news sites or crypto scams.

Bluesky has the juice of basically just being Twitter before the pedo guy took over if they'd just fucking open up already. 

12 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

For me it's sports. A lot of the sports guys I like aren't there yet.

13 hours ago, ort said:

Twitter is such a fucking dumpster fire now. My FOLLOWING feed has about 20% the activity it used to, when I go to the FOR YOU feed it just shows my obnoxious political crap, and mostly from prominent right wingers. And the. When you go to read the comments on them, he pushes all the blue check chuds to the top so the top commenters are always dumb right wingers who choose to pay musk $8 a month. It’s an echo chamber of utter right wing nonsense.

He changed it so that when you link to a news article, it doesn’t show you the headline anymore. You only see a picture. You don’t even really have a good way to see that it even is a link. It just looks like a photo. 

It's so bad. Every ad is for some crypto scam or NFT garbage. Every blue check is a braindead moron. It sucks.

• True 1

13 hours ago, ort said:

Twitter is such a fucking dumpster fire now. My FOLLOWING feed has about 20% the activity it used to, when I go to the FOR YOU feed it just shows my obnoxious political crap, and mostly from prominent right wingers.

I see you complaining, but don't you constantly tell the algorithm that's what you like to read? I don't do that and I get almost all left wing posts.

26 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I see you complaining, but don't you constantly tell the algorithm that's what you like to read? I don't do that and I get almost all left wing posts.

On twitter specifically, even if you only follow “lefty” accounts, as soon as you engage with anything beyond the actual post itself you’re flooded with blue checks which in my experience are largely right wing accounts. The top replies didn’t used to be mostly chud nonsense, this is a relatively new development since Musk’s takeover and the boosting of blue check accounts.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

The algorithm doesn’t give you what you WANT, it gives you what will keep you reading, and rage keeps page views up.  Even in my following tab o still get ads for shit my follows would never lead you to think I’m interested in even slightly.  My “for you” tab is only vaguely tolerable because I block constantly and even then I get crypto bullshit and other nonsense constantly.

22 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

The algorithm doesn’t give you what you WANT, it gives you what will keep you reading, and rage keeps page views up.  Even in my following tab o still get ads for shit my follows would never lead you to think I’m interested in even slightly.  My “for you” tab is only vaguely tolerable because I block constantly and even then I get crypto bullshit and other nonsense constantly.

Again, I don't get that stuff, aside from dumb ads. You must be doing something wrong.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

On twitter specifically, even if you only follow “lefty” accounts, as soon as you engage with anything beyond the actual post itself you’re flooded with blue checks which in my experience are largely right wing accounts. The top replies didn’t used to be mostly chud nonsense, this is a relatively new development since Musk’s takeover and the boosting of blue check accounts.

Oh no, my rule with replies is the same as most comments sections. Avoid like the plague. Just read the main post.

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

Oh no, my rule with replies is the same as most comments sections. Avoid like the plague. Just read the main post.

Again, if you read the comments of people that you followed up until recently (assuming it wasn't a hate follow or something), the top replies were usually relevant and often interesting. It's not like that anymore.

50 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

My favorite ads are for the mobile games that show gameplay but then the community notes say that isn’t the gameplay at all.

Those fake games spawned a real game of the fake games

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Cute and comical stickman characters have arrived for you to enjoy "those games" you've seen and wanted to play before. Play a variety of minigames fully, thoroughly, and enjoyably to your heart's content!

• Hype 1

25 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Can’t tell if you guys are talking about the fines or the material 

I was memeing the fine’s dollar amount. It’s great they got hit with them but the amount is so low to actually matter at X.

I think Brian is just expressing that he wants to see them hit with more fines.

20 minutes ago, chakoo said:

X is well and truly fucking dead soon with that move.

I think we’re at the point now that we might as well take bets on how it ends. Does he pull the plug or just dump it for cheap.

What's even better is the fixed costs of a credit card transaction are apparently more than $1.

TECHCRUNCH.COM

Despite proclamations from X CEO Linda Yaccarino that usage of the social network was at an all-time high this summer, a new report is throwing cold water

Despite proclamations from X CEO Linda Yaccarino that usage of the social network was at an all-time high this summer, a new report is throwing cold water on those claims, saying that X usage has actually declined on all fronts, across both web and mobile. According to data from market intelligence firm Similarweb, X’s global website traffic was down 14% year-over-year in September, and U.S. traffic was down by 19%. On mobile devices in the U.S., performance had also declined 17.8% year-over-year, based on monthly active users on iOS and Android.

Although the U.S. accounts for roughly a quarter of X’s web traffic, other countries also saw declines in web traffic, including the U.K. (-11.6%), France (-13.4%), Germany (-17.9%) and Australia (-17.5%).

The report notes that September was not just a fluke, either, as declines in usage were visible in long-term trends as well. When comparing the first nine months of 2023 with the same period in 2022, Simiarweb found X’s website traffic was down 11.6% year-over-year in the U.S. and down by 7% worldwide.  Mobile app usage in the U.S. was also down by 12.8% during that same period of time.

In addition, Similarweb’s analysis touches on the declining importance of X in the news ecosystem, noting that three years ago, The New York Times would receive 3-4% of its traffic from Twitter, but that’s now down to less than 1%. Of course, X began throttling links to the Times in August, along with other competitors like Bluesky and Threads. This week, X was accused of throttling Patreon links as well.

But in reality, Twitter’s importance to news publishers has always been overstated. News may have broken on Twitter but it was never a significant traffic source. In fact, NPR left the platform six months ago after Musk began labeling it and other outlets as “state-affiliated media.” A recent report from Nieman indicates NPR’s loss of traffic from leaving X has been “negligible” — traffic only dropped by a single percentage point, where it used to account for just under 2% of overall traffic.

• Sicko 1