Update: New Mexico issues "maximum" fine to Rust production company after report finds "serious and willful" safety violations

Emblazon

The plot thickens...

211029063615-rust-set-new-mexico-102321-
AMP.CNN.COM

The gun supervisor for the film "Rust," on which a crew member was killed after a gun held by actor Alec Baldwin went off during rehearsal, has no idea...

Couple of interesting points to infer from this story... One, it WAS an actual bullet that killed the DP and not a blank and the armormer claims she has no idea how actual ammunition got on set. So that throws the whole "Live rounds were being used for testing purposes" theory out of the window.

The gun supervisor for the film "Rust," on which a crew member was killed after a gun held by actor Alec Baldwin went off during rehearsal, has no idea where the real bullet came from, she says.

Hannah Gutierrez was responding to "untruths that have been told to the media," a statement released Thursday night by her attorneys to NBC News said.

"Safety is Hannah's number one priority on set," reads the statement from attorneys Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence. "Ultimately this set would never have been compromised if live ammo were not introduced. Hannah has no idea where the live rounds came from."

Not sure what specific untruths she's referring to here but I guess we'll find out later. Regarding the rumored target practicing that was supposedly taking place...

"Hannah and the prop master gained control over the guns and she never witnessed anyone shoot live rounds with these guns and nor would be permit that," the statement said, according to NBC.

Lastly once again, scrutiny is falling on the actual production itself...

"We don't know how those live rounds got there," the district attorney said Wednesday. "And I think that that will probably end up being kind of the linchpin for whether a decision is made about charges."

Gutierrez's attorneys also blame the production for safety lapses, saying Gutierrez was hired to perform two jobs on the film and could not strictly focus on her duties as armorer.

"She fought for training, days to maintain weapons, and proper time to prepare for gunfire but ultimately was overruled by production and her department," the statement reads.

So now the big mystery is how did the actual bullets end up on set? Which always sounded very unusual and dangerous in the first place.

I’m not saying she’s lying, but I am saying she isn’t telling the truth :p 

She also has a history of being involved in unsafe decisions

hannah-gutierrez-reed-crash-preview-1-1.
NYPOST.COM

The rookie “Rust” armorer was tied to a fatal motorcycle crash that killed a close friend – and her insurance paid the victim’s family $50,000 so she couldn’t be sued over it.

While the crash is not her fault, handing over her keys to her boyfriend who was already on probation for a DUI is just another example of care for safety

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not saying she’s lying, but I am saying she isn’t telling the truth :p 

She also has a history of being involved in unsafe decisions

While the crash is not her fault, handing over her keys to her boyfriend who was already on probation for a DUI is just another example of care for safety

Smokeshow?

42 minutes ago, Reputator said:

She can say all she wants (through her attorney) that she has no idea how live bullets made it on set, but that's a pretty poor defense for "she failed to properly inspect the weapon".

And legit the only thing that could have happened if the public claims so far are true, which all align around the idea that it went armorer to AD to Baldwin, is that either the AD or Baldwin put the live rounds in if she did properly inspect it…which is a wild idea

On 10/28/2021 at 10:23 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

A hot gun yes. He was told this was a cold gun (unloaded) not one with rounds in it.

All guns should be considered hot. You should never point one at anyone for any reason ever. If you don't understand this then you should not have one in your hand.

57 minutes ago, Biggie said:

All guns should be considered hot. You should never point one at anyone for any reason ever. If you don't understand this then you should not have one in your hand.

You do understand that on movie shoots this works a little differently right? There's prop guns, there's guns with barrels blocked, and there are all kinds of behavior that occurs with guns on movie sets that would not be considered "safe" in everyday life that is done for the sake of the movie being filmed. That's why you have professionals who are supervising everything that is being done on the set. In this case, based on what we know so far, those Professionals failed their jobs. Baldwin was doing what he was supposed to be doing in the course of what was neded for the scene (Allegedly) and was misinformed by what the people who's job it was to ensure on set safety with those weapons. That's apparently what has happened. This was clearly not a safe set because they had several misfires prior to this shooting and the two people who were in charge of the guns on set have spotty safety records on prior jobs.

Now if the argument is that functioning guns on movie sets are STILL too dangerous despite the standards and practices that are in place and that work 99% of the time, then the solution is simple. Don't allow guns that can fire ANYTHING on sets and just do everything in post with VFX. Problem solved.

Anywho... here's the latest. 

Alec-Baldwin-ET-Bonanza-Creek.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

The star & producer of the low budget Western took to social media today in a very different POV on troubled film

Producers are now playing defense.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You do understand that on movie shoots this works a little differently right? There's prop guns, there's guns with barrels blocked, and there are all kinds of behavior that occurs with guns on movie sets that would not be considered "safe" in everyday life that is done for the sake of the movie being filmed. That's why you have professionals who are supervising everything that is being done on the set. In this case, based on what we know so far, those Professionals failed their jobs. Baldwin was doing what he was supposed to be doing in the course of what was neded for the scene (Allegedly) and was misinformed by what the people who's job it was to ensure on set safety with those weapons. That's apparently what has happened. This was clearly not a safe set because they had several misfires prior to this shooting and the two people who were in charge of the guns on set have spotty safety records on prior jobs.

Now if the argument is that functioning guns on movie sets are STILL too dangerous despite the standards and practices that are in place and that work 99% of the time, then the solution is simple. Don't allow guns that can fire ANYTHING on sets and just do everything in post with VFX. Problem solved.

Anywho... here's the latest. 

Alec-Baldwin-ET-Bonanza-Creek.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

The star & producer of the low budget Western took to social media today in a very different POV on troubled film

Producers are now playing defense.

You do understand the first rule of gun safety is always assume the gun is loaded and never point it at anyone right? No matter what type of gun or situation. If the first rule had been followed she would be alive today. I understand I’m not as educated as you when it comes to the whole movie set type stuff but I do know and understand gun safety. 

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

You do understand the first rule of gun safety is always assume the gun is loaded and never point it at anyone right? No matter what type of gun or situation. If the first rule had been followed she would be alive today. I understand I’m not as educated as you when it comes to the whole movie set type stuff but I do know and understand gun safety. 

I do understand that but when a professional hands you a weapon on a movie set and tell you it's safe and unloaded which is standard industry practice,  you defer to that professional.  It's why they're there in the first place. Guns loaded with actual bullets have no place on a movie set... where people are playing make believe. There was no reason for any of those actors to assume they were handling actual weapons loaded with real bullets. That's what's getting lost here. The fact that everyone is now playing dumb regarding where the actual bullets came from just further illustrates how uncommon this whole situation is. But any way, I'll shut the fuck up and let all of the experts opine away. I am by no means an expert in gun safety.

I think it is pretty fair to question whether or not there is such a thing as a safe way to aim a working gun at another human being. Traditional gun safety education would say no, and the truth is that similarly most of the time a person thinks a gun is unloaded in a non-movie situation it is indeed unloaded. But sometimes it is. 

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

All I know is my dad told me never to point a gun at anyone, even fake guns like those guns that light up and make beeping noises.

So far, I've never killed anyone with a gun!

And yet you've shot me through the heart <3

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think it is pretty fair to question whether or not there is such a thing as a safe way to aim a working gun at another human being. Traditional gun safety education would say no, and the truth is that similarly most of the time a person thinks a gun is unloaded in a non-movie situation it is indeed unloaded. But sometimes it is. 

I think effects have got cheap enough that they should transition to just completely fake 'movie' guns that don't fire and add in muzzle flashes later.  I can't really see an advantage to using real ones anymore.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

I think effects have got cheap enough that they should transition to just completely fake 'movie' guns that don't fire and add in muzzle flashes later.  I can't really see an advantage to using real ones anymore.

spacer.png

Wouldn't be surprised if this starts happening more often. 

Of course it's unsafe to point a gun at someone unless you intend to use it, that's obvious. The only point I'm making is that making a movie is not a typical situation which is why you have professionals on set to keep things safe. Filmmaking involves all kinds of what would be considered unsafe behavior that is performed under the supervision of professionals for the sake of the film. Unless people think flipping cars, setting people on fire, falling down stairs or jumping out of windows are all things normal people should be attempting in real life. ALL of these things are unsafe yet are routinely done on film sets with actual professionals supervising the dangerous activity being performed.

From what we know so far, Baldwin himself wasn't acting irresponsibly with the gun, he was rehearsing for a scene with what he was told was an unloaded weapon by the professionals whose jobs it was to make sure the weapons were safe on set. Unless something else comes out that we don't know about, it seems now that they breakdown in safety occured THERE.With two key people on set, The armorer who is responsible for maintaining the weapons and the First A.D. who is responsible for the overall running of the set and safety issues. They failed directly in their jobs and the Producers (including Baldwin) failed by not establishing an environment where safety was paramount. 

43 minutes ago, Brick said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this starts happening more often. 

Yeah there are some councilmen in LA looking to go this route entirely for all film shoots. We'll see what happens... guns don't regulated around these parts. By these parts I mean (this country)

and the latest update... The Lawyers for the armorere are crying sabotage

IMG_0485.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

UPDATED with video,  The attorneys for Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who is being investigated by the Santa Fe Sheriff’s department in the wake of DP Halyna Hutchins’ death from a…

I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind...

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is a pretty good breakdown...

Damn this is a GREAT breakdown.

Direct quote from this vid

"It is not Baldwin's job to check the gun, someone professional should have been handling the gun, this makes no sense." Pretty much everyone's reaction that I know. Nothing about this story makes a whole lot of sense when you factor in industry protocols. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out sabotage here.

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

I didn't consider sabotage before but if they weren't using the guns to pop off a few rounds off set and somehow live bullets got in with the blanks I don't see any other explanation other than a disgruntled person put it in there to teach them a lesson.

This is the question. Were they target practicing with live bullets and if so who? Either way, that doesn't clear the First AD or the Armorer because thye still should have checked the gun properly before it was handed to Baldwin in the first place. Somenody is going to jail and somebody is going to ended up losing a LOT of money.

Expect more productions to pledge this

The-Rock-End-Real-Guns-On-Set.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

Dwayne Johnson, star of Netflix's action film "Red Notice," is pledging to stop using real guns, after Halyna Hutchins' death.

It will also save money on insurance but raise costs in post and cost Armorers their jobs. I don't expect it to be too widespread though. We'll see.