Update: New Mexico issues "maximum" fine to Rust production company after report finds "serious and willful" safety violations

Emblazon

So found out this morning that one of the first projects the D.P. worked on was a series my friends produced a couple a years ago. One of the writer/producers texted me this morning that she was a hard worker and a genuinely sweet person and was very excited about working on this project :(

No idea how a live round ended up in the gun on an actual movie set. NO IDEA.

EDIT: Buddy just sent this to me.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

Hours before actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot a cinematographer on the New Mexico set of 'Rust,' a half-dozen camera operators...

Whoo boy... 

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So found out this morning that one of the first projects the D.P. worked on was a series my friends produced a couple a years ago. One of the writer/producers texted me this morning that she was a hard worker and a genuinely sweet person and was very excited about working on this project :(

WWW.LATIMES.COM

Hours before actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot a cinematographer on the New Mexico set of 'Rust,' a half-dozen camera operators...

Whoo boy... 

As I said in the other thread, this sounds like a disaster of a film set. Yeah, let's overwork a bunch of crew and then have them handling real guns they then hand over to untrained actors.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

As I said in the other thread, this sounds like a disaster of a film set. Yeah, let's overwork a bunch of crew and then have them handling real guns they then hand over to untrained actors.

Overwork the professional crew, replace them with scabs who may or may not have expertise with firearm safety and watch what happens.

There were two misfires on the prop gun on Saturday and one the previous week, the person said, adding “there was a serious lack of safety meetings on this set.”

This is why every movie production is produced by a new LLC. The production company’s insurance is about to pay out a massive sum of money to the deceased woman’s family.

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

An actual live round and not a Brandon Lee jammed bullet being fired by a blank round? If so, what and how? Was whoever it was making the blanks just miss a bullet and throw it in with the others and nobody loading the weapons notice? That still doesn't explain why Alec was pointing the gun at actual people.

Gee, I don’t know…

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It says in that LA Times article that live round is an industry term for a gun being loaded with a material such as a blank ready for filming, so not necessarily actual ammunition. 

My brother in law (the former police chief for the neighboring county) says there are several crew members being called back in for further interviews by the county detectives

7 minutes ago, Brick said:

It says in that LA Times article that live round is an industry term for a gun being loaded with a material such as a blank ready for filming, so not necessarily actual ammunition. 

Yeah I saw that after I continued to read the article. Still doesn't explain how a blank would do that amount of damage and why there weren't plexiglass barriers up if they were doing a POV "Firing into the camera" type of shot. 

WWW.LATIMES.COM

Whoo boy... 

I get that it's heresay, but this sounds like criminal negligence.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I saw that after I continued to read the article. Still doesn't explain how a blank would do that amount of damage and why there weren't plexiglass barriers up if they were doing a POV "Firing into the camera" type of shot. 

Yeah there's a whole host of things that need explaining. 

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — An assistant director unwittingly handed Alec Baldwin a loaded weapon and told him it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fatally shot a cinematographer, court records released Friday show.

The gun was one of three that the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez, had set on a cart outside the wooden structure where a scene was being acted, according to the records. Assistant director Dave Halls grabbed the gun from the cart and brought it inside to Baldwin, unaware that it was loaded with live rounds, a detective wrote in the search warrant application.

It was unclear how many rounds were fired. Gutierrez removed a shell casing from the gun after the shooting, and she turned the weapon over to police when they arrived, the court records say.

That AD fucked up big time if this is true.

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — An assistant director unwittingly handed Alec Baldwin a loaded weapon and told him it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fatally shot a cinematographer, court records released Friday show.

That AD fucked up big time if this is true.

Why is a loaded firearm left sitting on cart, it doesnt need to be loaded or brought out until the moment of the scene. Growing up gun safety was burned into our brains, we were taught that the moment a gun left our hands that it was to be considered loaded and ready to kill. The negligence on display here is mind blowing. 

20 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Why is a loaded firearm left sitting on cart, it doesnt need to be loaded or brought out until the moment of the scene. Growing up gun safety was burned into our brains, we were taught that the moment a gun left our hands that it was to be considered loaded and ready to kill. The negligence on display here is mind blowing. 

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins died Thursday after Alec Baldwin fired a loaded weapon that was handed to him by an assistant director who mistakenly believed it was safe to use on the New Mexico set of “Rust.” Director Joel Souza was also hit and injured but has since been released from the hospital.

Nobody but the armorer is supposed to hand guns to actors. That AD should have never grabbed that gun and given it to Baldwin. It's still unclear if the gun was loaded with blanks or actual bullets but it's sounding more and more like this gun had actual bullets in it for reasons I can't comprehend at ALL.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins died Thursday after Alec Baldwin fired a loaded weapon that was handed to him by an assistant director who mistakenly believed it was safe to use on the New Mexico set of “Rust.” Director Joel Souza was also hit and injured but has since been released from...

Nobody but the armorer is supposed to hand guns to actors. That AD should have never grabbed that gun and given it to Baldwin. It's still unclear if the gun was loaded with blanks or actual bullets but it's sounding more and more like this gun had actual bullets in it for reasons I can't comprehend at ALL.

The article explains why the gun may have had a live round in it, for testing purposes. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

The article explains why the gun may have had a live round in it, for testing purposes. 

Yeah I saw that. Even if that were the case, you don't leave the gun loaded with a actual ammunition after you've performed the test and you don't then leave that loaded gum unattended. You also don't just grab a gun that you yourself have not checked and hand it to another person telling them it's unloaded. Even with my limited experience handling guns,  I was always taught to assume they are loaded unless you know otherwise.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I saw that. Even if that were the case, you don't leave the gun loaded with a actual ammunition after you've performed the test and you don't then leave that loaded gum unattended. You also don't just grab a gun that you yourself have not checked and hand it to another person telling them it's unloaded. Even with my limited experience handling guns,  I was always taught to assume they are loaded unless you know otherwise.

No doubt, it was just interesting as I would have assumed there would never intentionally be live round on a movie set. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No doubt, it was just interesting as I would have assumed there would never intentionally be live round on a movie set. 

I think they do that for those old timey western guns. Just oneore reason why blanks should be phased out. I worked on this story last night and we interviewed Shannon Lee, Bruce Lee's daughter and Brandon Lee's sister who has been advocating for that since her brother was killed on the set of The Crow.

baecd657f88a9a6052f3d15bbce77283
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 24, told podcast she almost turned down the head armorer job in a recent project due to self-doubt about her experience.

She definitely wasn't ready unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
baecd657f88a9a6052f3d15bbce77283
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 24, told podcast she almost turned down the head armorer job in a recent project due to self-doubt about her experience.

She definitely wasn't ready unfortunately.

That's fucking garbage. Inexcusable on so many levels.

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

They probably hired her because she would do it cheaper compared to someone with more experience.

In one of the other articles I read, it was said that a bunch of other experienced armorers turned the job down because they didn't think it could be done safely at the budget they were trying to do it at so... yeah. This is fucked up.

• Shocked 1

In one of the other articles I read, it was said that a bunch of other experienced armorers turned the job down because they didn't think it could be done safely at the budget they were trying to do it at so... yeah. This is fucked up.

Jesus. This is a Titanic of fuck-ups.

2 hours ago, SimpleG said:

This guy is a prop master and discusses what the protocol is for handling this situation

This was always my understanding and that's why I kept repeating that I didn't understand how a live round ended up in a gun on set and why the 1st AD was handing a gun to an actor. That article that said a "Live round "could refer to blanks was the first time at had ever heard the term used that way but my experience with firearms in productions is limited so I just took it as is. I always thought a live round meant a cartridge with a bullet in it like he describes.

That said, there were a BUNCH of protocols that were broken on this set which is why the crew had so many safety complaints. A lot of times low budget productions will hire younger and up and coming people because they are cheaper, eager and easier to control. Seems like a lot of key roles on this set were filled by younger folks including the armorer/propmaster and the D.P. herself. She was relatively new as well.

This is tragic story mostly because it was 100% preventable. This guy outlines all of the sfatey precutions that are supposed to take place on a set to ensure stuff like this doesn't happen and a lot of these were put into place after the Brandon Lee accident 30 years ago. So sad but those responsible should never be allowed to work in this business again if not thrown in fucking jail.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:
IMG_0485.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

As the Santa Fe Sheriff's Office continue scouring the location of last week's tragic shooting, more info is coming out about a pivotal crew member

This was one of the crew members who my brother in law said was reinterviewed by the sheriff’s office detectives. He thinks better than 50% chance of some criminal negligence charge happening as the failures on set appear to be egregious to a degree that simply can’t be overlooked or hand waved away.

1080.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Joel Souza says actor was practising a scene at time of accidental shooting of Halyna Hutchins

Alec Baldwin was practising a scene that involved him pointing a gun “towards the camera lens” when it accidentally went off, killing his director of photography, according to a written statement by the film’s director.

The director, Joel Souza, said he heard what “sounded like a whip and then a loud pop”. He said he saw the cinematographer Halyna Hutchins clutch her midriff and stumble backwards. Souza noticed that he himself was bleeding from the right shoulder.

The cameras were not rolling at the time. Baldwin was sitting on a wooden church pew on the set and trying out a scene in which he would “cross-draw” a revolver from its holster. Hutchins and Souza were checking the camera angle.

Moments before the accident, Baldwin was assured he was handling a “cold gun”, Souza told investigators. The film’s armourer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, checked prop weapons, and the assistant director, Dave Halls, rechecked them and handed them to the actors, Souza said. It was Halls who gave Baldwin the gun, police said.