Anyone buy Shenmue 1 & 2?

best3444

OK, so i’ve Only played for about 40 minutes but it’s both  worse and better than I remember it being. First, I honestly thought the controls would be worse, they are simply, simple. The graphics are indeed dated as hell, but at 4K it’s still gets the job done painting a little world to explore. The voice work is p, of course, laughably bad, as you would expect and frankly want it to be! This weekend, I will avenge my father, one forklift race at a time! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Back when I imported the game from Japan in 1999 I wasn't laughing. It was amazing. Today it's a laughable game. I just have fond memories of the series. 

I also imported the UK version of Shenmue II for the Dreamcast. Great times.

It sucked dick then and it sucks dick now. 

:joe:

• Guillotine 1

I never got that far on the first game and the last time I was getting an infinite loading screen, which is apparently a sign of a failing Dreamcast drive. But I've got enough other things I could be playing instead, so I'll probably wait for a good sale on Steam.

5 minutes ago, JosephManderley said:

Had both games on Dreamcast, liked the first one, barely played the second.  At the time, the first game was great.  Doubt I would enjoy it now though. 

Not excited about remakes, or 3, too much time has passed. 

The only way that 3 will work well, will be if they put a Witcher 3-eque level of time into the world building (not necessarily the scale, but the depth to it) and channel the idea of a 70's kung-fu movie perfectly. 

I think it's safe to assume though that it will end being panned for being too similar to the past games (unless magic happens)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

The only way that 3 will work well, will be if they put a Witcher 3-eque level of time into the world building (not necessarily the scale, but the depth to it) and channel the idea of a 70's kung-fu movie perfectly. 

I think it's safe to assume though that it will end being panned for being too similar to the past games (unless magic happens)

Good. I put a lot of money into the Kickstarter. I want it to feel exactly like the originals. I want the story Shenmue fans have been asking closure for.

7 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

That sounds lovely.