Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+, 29 December 2021) - Official Trailer

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I wonder if there was a consciously deliberate decision to "subvert" people's expectations about the character of Boba Fett, who really was a blank slate up until Season 2 of The Mandalorian.

For example, everyone pretty much assumed that Boba was some kind of "complete badass" as @brucoe described him, but as it turns out, he's really kind of sentimental and thoughtful.

Like, I'm not sure that Din Djarin would be all that fun to hang out with, but it seems like Boba would be pretty chill.

Agreed, and also, people are downplaying the influence his time with the Tusken Raiders has affected him. When Fennec Shand says in the flashbacks "Your time with the Tuskens had made you soft" and he responds by saying: "no, it's made me strong" is basically saying that he is throwing away the icy cool badass "persona" he was wearing all this time and finally confronting the traumas in his life - how he looked up to his father and his father's death (but clearly his father was off planet Kamino frequently), the fact that he's a naturally born clone, his time as a bounty hunter for bigger players and his subsequent "death" in the Sarlacc Pit all speak to a man who has truly changed. This isn't the same Boba Fett from the original trilogy, not anymore. He can still be badass (seee Mandalorian season 2) but it's not his MO anymore.

Boba hasn't had a ton of appearances in Clone Wars, but when he did, it was clear that he was looking for a family, always punching up, and always wanted to lead. In the comics canon he has more of the "badass" swagger that people would expect from his reputation. I think the show does a really good job of blending those POVs and adding to them, at least so far.

And I LOVE the modders.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:06 AM, Greatoneshere said:

Agreed, and also, people are downplaying the influence his time with the Tusken Raiders has affected him. When Fennec Shand says in the flashbacks "Your time with the Tuskens had made you soft" and he responds by saying: "no, it's made me strong" is basically saying that he is throwing away the icy cool badass "persona" he was wearing all this time and finally confronting the traumas in his life - how he looked up to his father and his father's death (but clearly his father was off planet Kamino frequently), the fact that he's a naturally born clone, his time as a bounty hunter for bigger players and his subsequent "death" in the Sarlacc Pit all speak to a man who has truly changed. This isn't the same Boba Fett from the original trilogy, not anymore. He can still be badass (seee Mandalorian season 2) but it's not his MO anymore.

To underscore this, the first track from the soundtrack album is titled "Rebirth".

Not to be that person, but not really feeling this show so far. I remember when everyone scoffed when a Boba Fett spinoff movie was being planned years ago. Maybe fans have softened on the idea since then but I was never felt the need to learn more about him and the show hasn't really changed my opinion on that. It is weird that the first two life action Star Wars series for Disney + are both about bounty hunters with similar looking outfits. Like if I were planning this stuff out I would release another show in between Mando S2 and Boba S1 to keep it from feeling too samey.

16 hours ago, Komusha said:

Not to be that person, but not really feeling this show so far. I remember when everyone scoffed when a Boba Fett spinoff movie was being planned years ago. Maybe fans have softened on the idea since then but I was never felt the need to learn more about him and the show hasn't really changed my opinion on that. It is weird that the first two life action Star Wars series for Disney + are both about bounty hunters with similar looking outfits. Like if I were planning this stuff out I would release another show in between Mando S2 and Boba S1 to keep it from feeling too samey.

I think they know they have something great with The Mandalorian so they decided to roll with this spinoff while Pascal is filming The Last of Us.

This sadly reminded me of when Starz spun-off Spartacus into a prequel because Andy Whitfield got cancer.

• True 1

Oh I just remembered!

When Din reveals to the Armorer that he has removed his helmet he asks how he can atone for it. When she says he has to go to the pools in the mines under Mandalore all I could think of was Dave Chappelle as Prince saying "Why don't you go wash yourself in the waters of Lake Minetonka." :lol: 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, 69los said:

Not even a big fan of the PT but when I saw the modded N1, my first thought was "I need a Lego UCS of this!" And how cute is it that they replaced the astromech with a bubble pod for Grogu? <3

Yeah, that's a no brainer swap. I like that they did it. 

I kinda dig what they're doing with it because it's this souped up hot-rod style. The mondo-whatsit-accelerator they put on it looks like a supercharger :lol: 

Gotta say, the reclamation of prequel trilogy garbage and spinning it into cool shit is something these shows continues to impress me. N-1 Starfighter? Prequel trilogy Galactic Republic N-1 spaceship sound design? Mando saying "wizard" and actually making it sound fun? The podracing droids (though we've seen those before)? I mean, hell yeah.

Great episode, and I look forward to Boba Fett finally being in the present day storyline only and warring with the Pyke Syndicate.

14 minutes ago, legend said:

The main thing I got from that episode is we're going to get Grogu in tiny Mandalorian armor and it will be universally loved.

I thought it was going to be chain mail, judging by the small rings. 

But yes, I can see Grogu becoming the only other Jedi Mandalorian since Tarre Viszla. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnny said:

i swear only reasons this show exists is because pedro pascal said he didn't have time to shoot a full season 

Some of the very early rumors said this was Mando season 3…and it pretty much is turning into that and I’m OK with that!

38 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Some of the very early rumors said this was Mando season 3…and it pretty much is turning into that and I’m OK with that!

It really does feel like a hedged Mando season 3. This could change in the finale but Boba himself doesn't really seem like he has a solid raison d'être that justifies (homina homina homina) a whole season to himself.

But I'm entertained so I don't care. :p