Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+, 29 December 2021) - Official Trailer

Sorta on topic, but today I’m wearing a Star Wars shirt today and the kid at the gas station asked me if I prefer Legends or the Disney Canon.

I am basically just a feature film and now live action D+ Star Wars fan. Never been into the books, comics, games, or toons.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sorta on topic, but today I’m wearing a Star Wars shirt today and the kid at the gas station asked me if I prefer Legends or the Disney Canon.

I am basically just a feature film and now live action D+ Star Wars fan. Never been into the books, comics, games, or toons.

Rebels is really good, as are the best parts of Clone Wars.

I'd say 2 of my favorite 5 Star Wars bits are from Rebels, the highs are really high.

This was a fun episode, but.....

I vastly prefer the visual callbacks in the previous episode over the numerous dialogue-driven callbacks of this episode, because some of the lines just feel shoe-horned in.

Also I'm pretty sure Luke would never teach the ways of the Jedi in such a manner. Luke himself chose attachment in ESB and ROTJ, and in TLJ recognizes that was a reason the Jedi Order fell in the first place.

And in general the way Luke and Ashoka are being portrayed, or acted, is very stiff and detached. It's mostly Luke's voice that is giving me the uncanny valley effect, but I don't get why Ashoka is so one note.

I wouldn’t have thought I was as interested in post ROTJ Luke as I turned out I am. Weird uncanny valley and voice stuff don’t matter to me. That’s my childhood hero.

Is it strange two of the stronger episodes has like 5 minutes of Boba Fett in it combined?

One of my nitpicks with Mandalorian (very minor because I otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it) was the plot was very simplistic and him just jumping "mission to mission". I was hoping Boba Fett broke that. They kind of did, just not in the way I as expecting by sidelining the main character completely. Maybe they should just roll both of these shows into one (and even include Bo-Katan's story) and have multiple arcs occuring, similar to how the Clone Wars cartoon was set up. The only thing with the animated series is they have much longer seasons, so much easier to have those multiple arcs going. I don't know if they would have the budget to do a single 10-12 episode season per year, or even split into 2 6 episode parts per year/season.

On 2/2/2022 at 3:20 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Rebels is really good, as are the best parts of Clone Wars.

I'd say 2 of my favorite 5 Star Wars bits are from Rebels, the highs are really high.

Yes Rebels had some really good moments sprinkled in.

I got myself caught up with this series after a four-week hiatus. And wow. It really did turn into another show those last two episodes, huh? Not that I'm complaining, that was a better show and I don't mind more of it.

I've been watching it weekly, and I really like the turn they've done with the last two episodes. And while I'm a huge Star Wars fan, I'm even more of a fan of watching reaction videos of people who are certified (or should be certified) fans who go nuts whenever an obscure character shows up in the show, like when the bug eyed bounty hunter shows up. I figured he was important, but had no idea how much until the two guys I was watching had a practical nerdgasm when he appeared. That whole last episode was nonstop that.

On 2/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

Also I'm pretty sure Luke would never teach the ways of the Jedi in such a manner. Luke himself chose attachment in ESB and ROTJ, and in TLJ recognizes that was a reason the Jedi Order fell in the first place.

This occurred to me as well. The way I ended up thinking about it is that even though Luke made different choices for himself, he still believes in his old masters and that their way is the correct path for Jedi. So he ends up trying to train his students in the same way he was trained, and it's not until Kylo that he really breaks away from that belief system that he himself once rebuked (to a degree).

23 hours ago, legend said:

So does Grogu choose the armor immediately, or later?

When Luke was presenting that choice, I thought he accidentally made a good argument for the armor. As Luke himself pointed out, Gogu has a potentially very long life ahead of him. A short while for him is a lifetime for others. So if he's got someone he cares about now, go spend the "short time" with him he's got left. Figure out the Jedi stuff later.

Of course, I have an increasingly poor read as to Grogu's maturity. Yeah, we know he's young and will live a very long time, but at this point is he seems like he's somewhere between a toddler and a young teen, but without him speaking it's hard to gauge how much thought he's really putting into a decision like this. Not that I necessarily want him to start talking, but it does make it kinda weird that Luke is presenting this toddler with a life changing choice.

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

This occurred to me as well. The way I ended up thinking about it is that even though Luke made different choices for himself, he still believes in his old masters and that their way is the correct path for Jedi. So he ends up trying to train his students in the same way he was trained, and it's not until Kylo that he really breaks away from that belief system that he himself once rebuked (to a degree).

When Luke was presenting that choice, I thought he accidentally made a good argument for the armor. As Luke himself pointed out, Gogu has a potentially very long life ahead of him. A short while for him is a lifetime for others. So if he's got someone he cares about now, go spend the "short time" with him he's got left. Figure out the Jedi stuff later.

Of course, I have an increasingly poor read as to Grogu's maturity. Yeah, we know he's young and will live a very long time, but at this point is he seems like he's somewhere between a toddler and a young teen, but without him speaking it's hard to gauge how much thought he's really putting into a decision like this. Not that I necessarily want him to start talking, but it does make it kinda weird that Luke is presenting this toddler with a life changing choice.

Eh, we already saw why Luke quit the new Jedi Order and it was a pretty compelling reason without the need to rehash the mistakes of the first Jedi Order. I can only hope that it is indeed more of a test, instead of an ultimatum, for Grogu. But the way it was acted, perhaps because of the CGI and voice limitations, and all of the dialogue leading up to the moment, I did not get any sense that it was a *wink wink* test.  I will stand by my belief that Luke would never teach the new Jedi in that way, because the last thing his dying father said to him was, "Tell your sister you were right [for choosing attachment and believing there was good in me]."

The whole “attachment” thing is some prequel / Legends stuff that didn’t exist at the time RotJ was out there. Luke believing there was good in Vader is decidedly not the same thing as the Jedi rules about attachment, which were usually about marriage / romantic attachment and in the interest of not having Force dynasties.

18 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

The whole “attachment” thing is some prequel / Legends stuff that didn’t exist at the time RotJ was out there. Luke believing there was good in Vader is decidedly not the same thing as the Jedi rules about attachment, which were usually about marriage / romantic attachment and in the interest of not having Force dynasties.

Luke chooses to save Han in ROTJ. We all know he feels about Leia in ROTJ. He then chooses to train Leia as a Jedi despite knowing how intimate she is with Han. And, come on, both Yoda and Obi-wan told Luke not to try and save his friends because he wasn't ready. They told him to sacrifice his emotional attachment, he didn't listen, and it turned out he made the right call.

Luke would never, for real, give someone the choice he gave Grogu. It's purely forced plot. The only way it makes sense is if it's a diagnostic test - he's legitimately curious what Grogu would do - but nothing really suggests that so far. Still not too late for the show to take another swerve, though.

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Luke chooses to save Han in ROTJ. We all know he feels about Leia in ROTJ. He then chooses to train Leia as a Jedi despite knowing how intimate she is with Han. And, come on, both Yoda and Obi-wan told Luke not to try and save his friends because he wasn't ready. They told him to sacrifice his emotional attachment, he didn't listen, and it turned out he made the right call.

Luke would never, for real, give someone the choice he gave Grogu. It's purely forced plot. The only way it makes sense is if it's a diagnostic test - he's legitimately curious what Grogu would do - but nothing really suggests that so far. Still not too late for the show to take another swerve, though.

Let's be honest. Since Disney took over, they've never gotten Luke's character right.

22 minutes ago, CayceG said:

If anyone understands the character of Luke Skywalker, it's Dave Filoni. 

I trust him implicitly with whatever is about to happen. 

I do think there could be more to this than it seems, as some people here suggested. It may not be as cut-and-dry as it seems.

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Please for the love of all that is holy can we not regurgitate the “that’s not what X character would do :nerd:“ garbage. 

No kidding. 

I bumped into it too. I trust there's more to the choice than the surface. I'm willing to go along for the ride, but I do think it's important that they do a reveal and dive deeper into Luke's approach here. Who is Luke at this moment? This is his first attempt at training, I assume he's just copying what his master's did to him, but he will find his own way. As Ashoka said to him, follow his gut. Ashoka isn't a Jedi anymore either, and likely will have some influence on Luke finding a different path to training the ways of the force. 

I trust that Filoni and Favreau have an arc and a plan here. If it just ends up being exactly what we saw here, then it's a shame as they're not really explaining how the character got from ROTJ to this point. Heck even the TLJ told the story of why Luke was a lot different 30 years after we last saw him.

Keep in mind also, this is set in 9 ABY, 5 years after we saw Luke in ROTJ and 6 years before he even starts to train Ben Solo. And we're still 19 years off in universe from Ben Solo betraying Luke (28 ABY). Then there's 6 years between THAT and the events we see in the sequels. 

That is to say, people can really change in their understanding of a religion/way of life in 19 years--especially if it involves very close personal trauma. 

12 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Please for the love of all that is holy can we not regurgitate the “that’s not what X character would do :nerd:“ garbage. 

I have every right to question that when the show has yet to explain why Luke shifted gears in his beliefs from when we last saw him. This is vastly different than a TLJ argument, where I actually liked Luke's arc in it because the movie did a good job explaining it. Here, not so much, and for no reason because this was already one long ass episode with numerous callbacks.

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

No kidding. 

Your passive-aggressiveness can go fuck right on off.

3 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I have every right to question that when the show has yet to explain why Luke shifted gears in his beliefs from when we last saw him. This is vastly different than a TLJ argument, where I actually liked Luke's arc in it because the movie did a good job explaining it. Here, not so much, and for no reason because this was already one long ass episode with numerous callbacks.

Your passive-aggressiveness can go fuck right on off.

Grow up, kid.

12 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Thank you for your confirmation.

I have every right to be tired of retreads of the “Luke wouldn’t act like that!”.

Every right! 

After watching the fifth and sixth episodes, I can DEFINITELY tell where the bulk of the budget for this series went! :lol:

I have a suspicion that the Din Djarin/Grogu dynamic is going to be a narrative throughline that's present in all of the Disney+ series.  For example, I'm sure that it will be present in some way in the upcoming Obi-Wan series that a Disney executive might have "accidentally" tweeted will be released in May.  Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the final episode of this series contains a transition to the Obi-Wan series just like the last episode of The Mandalorian's second season transitioned to this series.

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'd rather listen to Go-mer-t-o-n-i-c's moronic takes than your pretentiousness.

Who hurt you and why are you taking it out on me 😂