Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+, 29 December 2021) - Official Trailer

Going to guess that those flashbacks were meant to solidify & officially cannonize what those of us who are long time Star Wars fans always knew to be true in terms of the how/why he's still alive.

Only a 7 episode season wherein Robert Rodriguez is directing I believe 3 of them. The initial part was serviceable but I'm going to say this ... what is this show really for & about? I suppose time will tell but nevertheless, I feel like the cup was only half full here.

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

Guess I was the only one that thought this debut episode was kind of... bad? It felt more low-budget than any Mandalorian episode I can recall, and the action choreography was like something out of a stage play.

i didn’t think it was bad but i didn’t really enjoy it. 

I’m looking forward to this a bit, but every time I have an hour to use on TV I find myself going back to my Expanse rewatch. Wife hadn’t seen it, so been going back through before I start up season 6. Middle of season 2 right now…what an incredible show.

I... don't really know how I feel about this one. The first episode was... fine? The flashback stuff was pretty good. The current day stuff, not so much. @Reputator is right. Why wasn't he using his jetpack? I'm sure Fennec could have escaped from that circle had Boba just peaced out and shot them from above. He's clearly not 100% and shooting at them from above would have to be better than trying to take them on hand to hand.

What the first episode failed to do for me was explain why it's needed. The answer has to be better than "kids thought he was cool back in the 80s".

14 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I... don't really know how I feel about this one. The first episode was... fine? The flashback stuff was pretty good. The current day stuff, not so much. @Reputator is right. Why wasn't he using his jetpack? I'm sure Fennec could have escaped from that circle had Boba just peaced out and shot them from above. He's clearly not 100% and shooting at them from above would have to be better than trying to take them on hand to hand.

What the first episode failed to do for me was explain why it's needed. The answer has to be better than "kids thought he was cool back in the 80s".

Yeah. One of the points brought up in the podcast that resonated with me is this idea of Boba "ruling with respect". I don't claim to have read all materials about the character, but he was a ruthless bounty hunter hired by Vader to capture Han Solo, and Vader had to specify "no disintegrations". Now Boba is being "hero-ized" I guess because... fans like him? And the problem they're setting up in this first episode is how can Boba rule the criminal underworld of Tatooine when he's too nice?

10 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Yeah. One of the points brought up in the podcast that resonated with me is this idea of Boba "ruling with respect". I don't claim to have read all materials about the character, but he was a ruthless bounty hunter hired by Vader to capture Han Solo, and Vader had to specify "no disintegrations". Now Boba is being "hero-ized" I guess because... fans like him? And the problem they're setting up in this first episode is how can Boba rule the criminal underworld of Tatooine when he's too nice?

None of that material matters because the EU was tossed out. I get the idea that they're trying to soften Boba through the flashbacks. If the route they go is Boba learns love and respect from the Sand People...lol.

Boba Fett survives, but is gravely injured. After some time, he decides to fill the criminal world gap left behind after Jabba was killed. Ok. Cool. The story of how he got there sounds way more interesting than him holding the power, though.

23 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

None of that material matters because the EU was tossed out. I get the idea that they're trying to soften Boba through the flashbacks. If the route they go is Boba learns love and respect from the Sand People...lol.

Boba Fett survives, but is gravely injured. After some time, he decides to fill the criminal world gap left behind after Jabba was killed. Ok. Cool. The story of how he got there sounds way more interesting than him holding the power, though.

For sure, it could have been an interesting story. Unfortunately the entire story is like a two minute post-credit scene of him (or rather, I think it was Fennec) shooting the current guy in charge. I didn't find that to be a compelling premise for a new show then, and so far I still don't.

I think Boba Fett was clearly changed by his near death experience in the Sarlaac Pit and his time with the Tusken Raiders tribe. It makes complete sense that he would be different based on those experiences compared to the younger, more ruthless bounty hunter version of him. Softening an interesting antagonist into a reluctant, tougher protagonist isn't that strange. Whether it's done well is another matter, of course.

Also, he was plenty ruthless in The Mandalorian season 2 killing stormtroopers pretty handily.

I just finished the episode. 

I really do like what they're doing telling two stories in parallel. The story in the flashback was SO satisfying. I absolutely loved it. 

And the 'present day' story is more setup, but it's definitely building a great vibe. 

Spoiler

Like I said, the modern day story really seems to be taking cues from feudal Japan shogun storylines. With the flashback, it also has a lot of flavors of Wild West stories where the hero falls in with a group of Native Americans and is put through trials and accepted into the tribe. Also, train heist! Very wild west. 

Yet again, Star Wars is at its absolute best telling stories about the world while tipping its hat to samurai and western movies.