Bayonetta 3 (10/28/2022) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

That Polygon review is one of the most shallow reads I've ever seen. Is the reviewer not grasping (or intentionally leaving out) that the entire point of this game's narrative is to stick a blatant middle finger to modern US sensibilities? For a videogame writer to be more upset about the idea of Bayonetta not meeting her wants rather than giving two-shits about the merits of the game as the third release in the franchise is pretty asinine

• Halal 1

“But if you ever wanted to believe that there was something deeper to Bayonetta’s story — some grander statement about femininity and sexuality and power dynamics — you’ll find the truth to be quite a disappointment. ”

ya ok I think i’ll be fine then 

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

But will you be fine with the Switch quality graphics, and performance? :p It’s too bad that it’s a Switch exclusive, because I would really like to play it. I dislike that this series went from being multiplatform to being Nintendo exclusive. I really liked the first game and I want to play the sequels, but I have no interest in getting a Switch.

5 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

But will you be fine with the Switch quality graphics, and performance? :p It’s too bad that it’s a Switch exclusive, because I would really like to play it. I dislike that this series went from being multiplatform to being Nintendo exclusive. I really liked the first game and I want to play the sequels, but I have no interest in getting a Switch.

idk, bigger problem for me is I need to play Bayo2 first! Switch is a little harder for me since I got a deck and have moved on to the next gen for portables but I don't know how this runs, if it’s still 720/60 like Bayo2, then it’s all good actually since I’d play handheld anyway.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

“But if you ever wanted to believe that there was something deeper to Bayonetta’s story — some grander statement about femininity and sexuality and power dynamics — you’ll find the truth to be quite a disappointment. ”

These people have lost their fucking minds

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

idk, bigger problem for me is I need to play Bayo2 first! Switch is a little harder for me since I got a deck and have moved on to the next gen for portables but I don't know how this runs, if it’s still 720/60 like Bayo2, then it’s all good actually since I’d play handheld anyway.

All I know is, I played Bayonetta 2 at launch and loved it - and you will too. Buy it, buy it now! 

• Sicko 1

Game Information

Game Title: Bayonetta 3

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Oct 28, 2022)

Developer: PlatinumGames

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 89 average - 94% recommended

Critic Reviews

Destructoid - 10 / 10

When playing Bayonetta 3, much to my delight, I had no clue what was going to happen next at all times. I was absorbed, and between the crazy story, the environments, and the action system that’s been refined through two prior games (and years of experience), I had very little downtime. It’s pretty much everything an action fan could want.

Guardian - 5 / 5

Where many western games yearn to be seen as the height of sophistication, craving the critical kudos of an HBO drama, Bayonetta 3 stands defiant in its absurdity. Like its predecessors, this is destined to go down as a cult classic – a dizzying dance of demon-dicing delight. Its crude, whiplash-inducing narrative means it certainly won’t be for everyone, but the best things in life rarely are.

Nintendo Life - 10 / 10

Bayonetta 3 cranks up the chaos, improves the combat, polishes the level design, and adds a ton of new mechanics to the mix, making for the very best entry in this storied series to date. PlatinumGames has absolutely nailed it this time around, carefully layering on more ways to engage enemies, piling on the OTT gameplay sequences, and giving us multiple protagonists without upsetting the balance of what makes these games amongst the very best examples of their genre. With excellent performance in docked and handheld modes, incredible visuals, non-stop action, and a hugely replayable campaign that's a joy from start to finish, this really is a huge celebration of everything we love about Bayonetta, an action all-timer and one of the biggest highlights of 2022, on Switch or any platform.

Telegraph - 5 / 5

Platinum's strutting witch returns with expanded combat and the same delirious lack of restraint

VG247 - 5 / 5

Bigger levels, bigger fights, bigger hair – Bayonetta 3 somehow manages to edge the Platinum formula even harder to deliver one hell of a climax.

Atomix - Spanish - 95 / 100

The wait was worth it. Bayonetta 3 is one of the best experiences of the year, and a clear example of what makes PlatinumGames games special.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 95 / 100

Bayonetta 3 delivers an impressive combat system, great variety in gameplay and a never ending surprises. It is not only one of the best Nintendo Switch games out there, but one of the best hack´n slash we´ve ever played.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Bayonetta 3, despite some forgivable technical stumbles, sets new standards for stylish action, proving to be a real masterpiece.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 9.5 / 10

Bayonetta 3 is a sexy, entertaining, but also touching action game that exceeds all your expectations and surpasses the previous games thanks to its story and ending.

Spaziogames - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Bayonetta 3 it's simply a vulgar display of style. The best title made by PlatinumGames, and the best action game around.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5 / 5

Thanks to excellent characterisation, a true understanding of how to work with both hyperbole and surrealism within a narrative, and a ridiculously complex, but rewarding, combat system, Bayonetta 3 has been well worth the wait.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 9 / 10

Bayonetta 3 is pure Platinum again.

GameSpot - 9 / 10

Bayonetta 3 is a show-stopping spectacle that feels familiar in all the right ways while also adding mechanics that are sure to delight old and new fans alike.

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10

It's impossible not to fall under spell of Bayonetta 3. More extravagant, frenetic, rich, varied and with even more monstrous and epic bosses, the game is the franchise at its best. However technical weaknesses, the few underwhelming environments and the readability issues can't counter the avalanche of the superlatives. A dance mastered without almost any misstep and a must-have on Switch.

Glitched Africa - 9 / 10

Bayonetta 3 has managed to take the series’ greatest aspects and evolve them in new and exciting ways. It is undoubtedly the best entry to date and a damn good time.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Compelling from start to finish, Bayonetta 3 is an exceptional time and up there with the very best there is - and was worth the wait.

IGN - 9 / 10

One of the best combat systems in gaming gets even better with Bayonetta 3. It's story is a bit of a letdown and its wild action scenes take a toll on the performance in certain spots, but neither of those issues get in the way of Bayonetta 3 being a top shelf action game on the Switch.

IGN - 9 / 10

While the story is pathetic and the game presents some performance issues on switch, Bayonetta 3 takes a lesson in combat and gameplay design in a lushly stylish sequence.

Metro GameCentral - 9 / 10

One of the best action games of recent years and an irresistibly entertaining celebration of everything that is joyous and imaginative about video games.

NintendoWorldReport - 9 / 10

Bayonetta 3 is the kind of game that makes you wonder where a series could possibly go from here, because I can't imagine a sequel being bigger or better than this.

PCMag - 4.5 / 5

Featuring giant demon battles, massive destruction, and flexible combat that encourages creative fighting, the long-awaited Bayonetta 3 is the witch’s biggest action romp yet.

Press Start - 9 / 10

Bayonetta 3 successfully reinvents itself in many ways to offer an experience that feels worthy of the title of sequel. It successfully shakes up the combat from the previous games by implementing new abilities that help keep things familiar but fresh. Some of the gimmicky battles bring the pacing down and dreaded, but ubiquitous Switch-related performance issues remain. As a whole, Bayonetta 3 eclipses its predecessor and is truly one of the most bombastic and enjoyable action games you can play.

Screen Rant - 4.5 / 5

Bayonetta 3 takes the incredible action gameplay of its predecessors and supercharges it, resulting in one of the Switch's best action games.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

The third entry in the series is not only the best Bayonetta game, but also one of the best offerings from PlatinumGames thus far.

Siliconera - 9 / 10

Bayonetta 3 is over-the-top in every possible way, and I get the feeling newcomers and long-time fans of the series will appreciate that.

Stevivor - 9 / 10

At the end of my time with Bayonetta 3, I find myself surprised at how much fun I had, and excited to go back and experience the first two titles of the series as well.

The Independent - 4.5 / 5

Bayonetta 3 is an outrageous and fitting return to form for the umbra witch and her posse of occultish heavy hitters. Substantial improvements and additions to combat mean there are seemingly endless options for different styles of play, as well as making the prospect of revisiting each stage, verse and hidden objective more compelling than it ever has been, with the crowning jewel being Viola’s introduction into the franchise.

Wccftech - 9 / 10

Bayonetta 3 is the series’ best entry yet, offering an engaging universe-hopping story, bombastic cinematic moments, and refined action that’s both accessible and deeper than ever before.

Video Chums - 8.9 / 10

In defiance of a time when many game series are opting to mature, Bayonetta 3 raises a giant middle finger and that's awesome. Believe it or not, it's even more over-the-top than you'd expect so strap on some high heels and get ready for some action.

GamePro - German - 88 / 100

Bayonetta 3 feels like the natural evolution of the series and will win you over with great combat as well as new innovations.

GAMES.CH - German - 87%

With its innovations and other fresh and creative ideas, "Bayonetta 3" reaches a high level.

COGconnected - 85 / 100

Whether or not you enjoy this game is dependent on what you’re expecting from it. In the world of hypersexual, campy, insane action games, this sets a new standard. Every successive boss fight raises the bar, the action is always intense, and it oozes charm. There’s more move variety, the characters are beautiful, and the tone is impossibly over the top. If you’ve bounced off of Bayonetta games before, I can’t promise this time will be different. The pacing and core gameplay loop remain largely intact. But for fans of the franchise, Bayonetta 3 is easily as good as it gets. If you loved the first two games, you’ve got to check out this one.

Checkpoint Gaming - 8.5 / 10

Do you want more of Bayonetta 1 and 2? That's Bayonetta 3! It keeps the heart and soul of the first two games in every sense, but adds even more fun ways to pound your enemies into the dirt with style. Its chock-full of action set pieces, each more ridiculous than the last - it stays at 100% almost the whole time. Our favourite witch is back in black!

WellPlayed - 8.5 / 10

By pure chance alone, Bayonetta 3 feels fit for the moment. At a time when loving Bayonetta feels *complicated*, Bayonetta 3 is a relentless, unashamed celebration of Bayonetta – of this character, of her companions, of the demons she fights alongside and of the outrageous spectacle that is the hallmark of this series.

Game Informer - 8.3 / 10

It's bombastic, over-the-top, and extravagant for the sake of extravagance, leaving ruins, literally, in its wake.

Enternity.gr - Greek - 8 / 10

We have been waiting for Bayonetta 3 for years, but the overall result is not judged to be sufficiently satisfactory.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 8 / 10

Bayonetta 3 is generally a very solid game and the best representative of the genre since the release of Devil May Cry 5. You can see that a lot of heart and effort was put into it and that they were trying to figure out how to let some fresh air into the series.

Inverse - 8 / 10

Bayonetta 3 delivers on its promise of a magical action RPG with sophisticated combat. Even with frustrating mini-games and objectives, it’s one of the best action games of 2022 thanks to its style and depth — whether or not you’re familiar with this absolutely bonkers universe.

TheGamer - 4 / 5

Too much game is never a bad thing for some 'pennies to enjoyment ratio' players, but Bayonetta 3 overstays its welcome and dips from being an all-time classic to just being a very, very good video game. It's not the all-time top five Switch game that I think it might have been with a few different decisions here and there, but it's still a must-play title.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

A crazy, over-the-top spectacle that's uproariously enjoyable, with its only restraint being Nintendo's handheld hardware.

Tom's Guide - 4 / 5

Bayonetta 3 takes what worked about the first two games and continues to refine it, from the balletic combat, to the diverse assortment of wacky characters, to the snarky sense of humor. Aging Switch hardware means that the performance is uneven, however, and the difficulty curve can sometimes swing a little too far toward “punishing.”

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5

Bayonetta 3 is the third instalment of the series, featuring new playable characters and a wide array of beautifully designed monsters. The ability to control Demon Slaves is endlessly fun and running around as Bayonetta feels very fulfilling. While this game does have its flaws, I think it’s a hack-and-slash that almost anyone can play.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

Bayonetta 3 is an ode to the longtime fans who’ve stuck with the game since 2009. While it’s certainly not without its obvious flaws and missteps, I can’t imagine that fans would be very disappointed with how this third, explosive entry has turned out.

VGC - 4 / 5

While some ideas get lost in Bayonetta 3’s endless sprint to keep you entertained, there’s no other action game with this imagination, wit or style. Prepare to explore its mad depths for weeks.

Cerealkillerz - German - 7.2 / 10

Bayonetta 3 suffers from a generic story and enemies with a surprisingly boring level structure. The decision to go for more quanity delivers enough gameplay variety for hardcore fans. If you can live with repeating challenges and areas, you'll still get a crazy adventure with the gameplay, that the fans love.

GamesRadar+ - 3.5 / 5

When taking charge of the action, Bayonetta is more fun to rip and tear with here than ever before, with some smart evolutions in how her role as a summoner can add to her combat without taking anything meaningful away. But some of the same issues that plagued its predecessors are just as present here as well, if not more-so

Gfinity - 7 / 10

Bayonetta 3 may not reinvent the wheel, but its lightning-fast action and engaging gameplay push the Switch to its limits.

Ars Technica - Unscored

In all of the best possible ways, Bayonetta 3 is leaning into the parts of itself that are more earnest than ever—all while going harder than ever on doing whatever it takes to simply be cool as hell. If you're looking for a strong, coherent storyline, this was never the series for you. But if you are a fan of flashy spectacles, a varied and creative arsenal, and larger-than-life characters, Bayonetta 3 more than delivers.

Console Creatures - Recommended

Bayonetta 3 delivers the most chaotic, luminous, and enthralling sequel filled with quality-of-life improvements that make this an immensely satisfying adventure. Between the bigger worlds, variety of options in combat, and high-octane humour, I had a hard time putting my Switch down.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Bayonetta goes big for the series' most stupendous adventure yet, but also its scrappiest.

GameXplain - Liked-a-lot

Video Review - Quote not available

Polygon - Unscored

If all you care about is button-ramming combat that’s similar to Devil May Cry, you’ll have a ball. But if you ever wanted to believe that there was something deeper to Bayonetta’s story — some grander statement about femininity and sexuality and power dynamics — you’ll find the truth to be quite a disappointment.

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

Unboxholics - Greek - Worth your time

Bayonetta 3 takes the well-known and beloved recipe we saw in the previous two chapters and takes it several steps forward.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Bayonetta 3 (10/28/2022) - reviews from OpenCritic posted
3 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

"...it feels almost like a personal insult when the ending doesn’t line up with where you wanted the series to go."

That Polygon review is everything wrong with modern fan culture/games/film criticism, wrapped in such a neat and tidy package that you can almost call it a gift.

Bayonetta is rule of cool smeared on a pile of angelic corpses. Everything in this franchise exists because it's cool and for no other reason. Nobody should spend that much time scrutinizing anything in this franchise.

I'm desperate to play a big new release on switch that has that special Nintendo alchemy, but between the multiverse premise and the description of this game as "a horny anime directed by Christopher Nolan" (from the Guardian) I'm gonna have to pass hard here.  The gameplay in Bayonetta 2 was amazing but everything else was just insufferable and this looks to dial all that up.  Astral Chain was just about all of the anime I can physically handle.

I might have to get Kirby instead.

• Like 1
  • True 1

2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

All I know is, I played Bayonetta 2 at launch and loved it - and you will too. Buy it, buy it now! 

I bought it on Wiiu and Swirch! I never got around to it on Wiiu, then played the first one on Switch (first time playing it) and enjoyed it but just haven’t gotten to the second!

58 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Shes also support Blue Lives Matter and supports transphobes

Does Rowling have a theater production Taylor is holding out for?

Blah...

Had anyone actually picked the game up? I'll finally have time to play some once I get the kids to bed.

Also, I didn't realize naive angel move changed cigars into little, mini cakes. Should have come with lollipops, One Piece style.

BM8BGtE.jpg

Outside of some frame pacing issues that I'm pretty sure can be fixed with a future patch, Bayonetta 3 so far, is just superb. This is exactly what I wanted. I had forgotten how much these games control like silk. When did the second game come out on Switch? 4 or 5 years ago? I haven't played Bayonetta since then and jumping back in nothing. Now I feel silly leaving the tutorials on, thinking I'd need a refresher on the controls.

3 hours ago, stepee said:

yeahh looks like they made a great move switching to Hale!

Disappointed she is a terf but I wouldn't mind her still being the VA.

I haven't gotten my copy because I forgot to change the payment method. I would have just gotten it somewhere else but it and MP4 are the last of my 20% off preorders. My CC got hacked and just got the new card so I expect to get the game Monday. Will rip and emulate it for 4k 60FPS.

I should do that for Bayo 2 but I already beat it and rather spend my time on new experiences. Maybe if we get a Bayo 4 in a few years I will go and give them all a playthrough again.

7 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

played about 20 minutes just had to see how it ran...but if I truly get into it I know I'd end up dropping Persona 5 and likely not get back to it so back in the case it went. 

Persona 5 is one of the best JRPG'S ever made. Enjoy! Hope you're playing Royal and not regular though. I was pissed when Royal came with no upgrade path.

Just now, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

I'm assuming that you didn't own a Wii U either right?  At this point, the Switch has enough phenomenal software to be considered an all-time great console, possibly Nintendo's best. 

I didn't, no. I really didn't care for the Wii minus a handful of games. Switch is the same for me. I'm interested in maybe a few exclusives. I already played Bread of the Wild and disliked it for the most part so that doesn't leave a huge amount, friend let me borrow his Switch for a while when he went out of the country. Prime 4 would sway me to buy it but that's about it at this point. 

Just now, Bloodporne said:

I didn't, no. I really didn't care for the Wii minus a handful of games. Switch is the same for me. I'm interested in maybe a few exclusives. I already played Bread of the Wild and disliked it for the most part so that doesn't leave a huge amount, friend let me borrow his Switch for a while when he went out of the country. Prime 4 would sway me to buy it but that's about it at this point. 

No Way Reaction GIF by MatPrat

• Thanks 1

Game is amazing.  I haven't felt this much unbridled joy playing something since probably Mario Odyssey.  Still only a few chapters in, but Platinum clearly put everything that they had into this and it's likely their best game.  The gameplay is phenomenal and razor sharp, and I'm pretty awestruck at how it continues to reinvent itself every hour or so that you play.  The best game I've played this year by a wide margin.

• Shocked 2

I estimate that I'm roughly 50% - 75% of the way through the story now, and this is inching towards "greatest pure action game ever made" territory for me.  Previously I would have said maybe Ninja Gaiden.  I would consider it Platinum's best game, and coming from Astral Chain that sure is saying something.  It seems like they have a very symbiotic relationship with Nintendo at this point, because you can feel both sides' game design strengths weaving back and forth throughout the entire experience.

On 10/25/2022 at 3:25 PM, stepee said:

Oh.. so she wanted it to be about that and it wasn't, proceeded to get butt hurt, cracked her knuckles and commenced to writing a bad review? If that's the case then it shouldnt have even been published. But in this climate why not? 

12 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

Oh.. so she wanted it to be about that and it wasn't, proceeded to get butt hurt, cracked her knuckles and commenced to writing a bad review? If that's the case then it shouldnt have even been published. But in this climate why not? 

It struck me as strange because, and I still need to play Bayo2, but that wasn’t exactly where I felt the first one was going for whatsoever.