40 Min Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 3PM (PT)

Brian

The N64 controller was ridiculous but it was perfectly functional at the time. Most games picked two prongs and stuck with 'em, meaning it was essentially just a regular controller. Twin sticks weren't really a thing yet (and certainly not a standard) and the Z trigger was pretty cool.

It wasn't amazing or anything but I think it gets a lot more flak in hindsight because of the silly prongs. My biggest complaint isn't the design but the build quality. That stick really loosened up a lot over time and made them hard to maintain.

35 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The N64 controller was ridiculous but it was perfectly functional at the time. Most games picked two prongs and stuck with 'em, meaning it was essentially just a regular controller. Twin sticks weren't really a thing yet (and certainly not a standard) and the Z trigger was pretty cool.

It wasn't amazing or anything but I think it gets a lot more flak in hindsight because of the silly prongs. My biggest complaint isn't the design but the build quality. That stick really loosened up a lot over time and made them hard to maintain.

I agree, by today's polished standards it's bad, but it set the stage for so much. Analog, triggers, and rumble stand out.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

My main beef with the N64 controller was the build quality. I’m not conspiratorially minded but nobody can convince me that Mario Party wasn’t an elaborate scam to sell more controllers.

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

My main beef with the N64 controller was the build quality. I’m not conspiratorially minded but nobody can convince me that Mario Party wasn’t an elaborate scam to sell more controllers.

Don’t forget the palms of our nation’s children. 

• Haha 1

Maybe get a good look at more Mario Golf dlc, hopefully a damn regular set of tournaments where you can play as mario characters through the courses. 

Also maybe they’ll show more Warioware post launch stuff, loving the weekly challenge online tournament, really increases the lifespan, if they added some new micro games in here and there that would be amazing.

Game wise I totally expect XB3 for early next year but it would be cool if they have a December surprise, where is my boy Kirby this year?! 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I did have a lot of friends who had wrecked N64 controllers, but somehow I never had this problem. The worst my controller got was no worse than any other controller I've bought till today, and I owned 4 for multiplayer games.

Maybe I was just very lucky, but I do wonder if the impression that they were bad was due to most of us playing it in an our earlier years when maybe people were more likely to be unnecessarily rough :p 

49 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

You will get another sword FE character and you will love it.

Damn it, you're probably right! :( 

9 minutes ago, legend said:

I did have a lot of friends who had wrecked N64 controllers, but somehow I never had this problem. The worst my controller got was no worse than any other controller I've bought till today, and I owned 4 for multiplayer games.

Maybe I was just very lucky, but I do wonder if the impression that they were bad was due to most of us playing it in an our earlier years when maybe people were more likely to be unnecessarily rough :p 

My N64 controllers were fine too, as were my friends' controllers. Though we were all in high school/college by the time the N64 came out, so it's not unlikely we took care with our controllers back then. 

Actually, now that I think about it? I had ONE controller that got busted. But that was because beer was spilled all over it during a party. Made all the buttons and the analog stick...very sticky. HOWEVER...it still worked, surprisingly. You just had to give it a little more "oomph" when pressing in a direction or button input. We nicknamed it the "Drunken Master" controller, lulz. :p 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I never had a N64. It was a console I only played at a friend’s house or in the dentist’s lobby. I never got used to that damn controller. 

Whoa that is crazy! I can’t believe this! I’ve never heard of anyone from this era of gaming say something like this. Are you for real? Wow. Like, wow. That’s just so insane for me to imagine. That is just incredible. Geez.

Your dentist had an N64 in the lobby? Mind blown.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Whoa that is crazy! I can’t believe this! I’ve never heard of anyone from this era of gaming say something like this. Are you for real? Wow. Like, wow. That’s just so insane for me to imagine. That is just incredible. Geez.

Your dentist had an N64 in the lobby? Mind blown.

Now that I think about it, it might have been the orthodontist. But yeah, you know those display kiosks in stores? They had a similar setup in the corner of the waiting room. I always tried to make my mom bring me early so I could play Smash Bros. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Now that I think about it, it might have been the orthodontist. But yeah, you know those display kiosks in stores? They had a similar setup in the corner of the waiting room. I always tried to make my mom bring me early so I could play Smash Bros. 

You must’ve grown up on the nice side of town. All my dentist had in his lobby was Highlights.