40 Min Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 3PM (PT)

Brian

19 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

They give a full list of N64 and Genesis games?

also if Banjo is coming…..dare I dream they’ll let Goldeneye go to the eshop?

I'd imagine other Rare games are far more likely than GoldenEye; so maybe Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini.

Nintendo has released a full list of games...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

They've always been a bit more flexible with games. I mean, Capcom made two Zelda games that are full canon and in the official timeline. Sega made an F-Zero so good Nintendo threw their hands up and decided they couldn't top it. Namco has made four Mario Kart games, so far. Nintendo hasn't made a movie since their '93 Mario movie fell flat and the only TV I can think of is their Kirby series, though maybe they had something else in Japan that never made it States-side.

For some reason, they're really finnicky over adapting their games for film and TV. They canceled that live action Zelda series a while back and a stop motion Star Fox series that was supposedly looking pretty rad. I really hope they revive some of these. I'd love to see the stop motion Star Fox come back.

Don’t you think they’ve gotten a little less precious with even their games in recent years though? I can’t imagine Nintendo allowing Mario to carry a gun around prior to rabbids. 

But yeah I pretty much agree with everything you’ve said. 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This one also has future games

image.png
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

There are new controllers coming, too.

Goldeneye is a pipe dream however. too many licenses to get around.

I think that 360 Goldeneye is the best we’ll ever get for that. Which was pretty damn good IIRC.

6 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Don’t you think they’ve gotten a little less precious with even their games in recent years though? I can’t imagine Nintendo allowing Mario to carry a gun around prior to rabbids. 

But yeah I pretty much agree with everything you’ve said. 

Mario with a gun is brand new. Nintendo's been pretty clear to not give Mario a gun until the Rabbits game. I think I read that Nintendo never planned to allow it, but Miyamoto just loved Ubisoft's demo that much. Hey, there's a video about this very subject...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bjomesphat said:

Good luck getting an N64 controller.

The NES/SNES controllers have plenty of competent knock-offs, but there are zero quality N64 replicas. These are going to go like crazy and probably from people that have no intention of using the service, like me.

I'll get the service, specifically for my son, but I'll totally buy one of those controllers to use with RetroArch. There really aren't any good N64 knockoffs on the market.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'll get the service, specifically for my son, but I'll totally buy one of those controllers to use with RetroArch. There really aren't any good N64 knockoffs on the market.

The Retrobit Tribute 64 controller is pretty good. The stick sensitivity is way off though, so it really only works well for certain games. If you're playing in Retroarch, you're better off just using any standard modern controller though.

47 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Good luck getting an N64 controller.

The NES/SNES controllers have plenty of competent knock-offs, but there are zero quality N64 replicas. These are going to go like crazy and probably from people that have no intention of using the service, like me.

Maybe right out of the gate but nintendo routinely restocks the NES/SNES controllers even though they sell out every once in a while. Since the controllers require you to have a subscription and then to buy it direct from nintendo it's not going to be impossible to buy one at some point in the future.

9 hours ago, Jason said:

ebay churners :money:

Maybe for the collectors and die hard fans but for the general population I think more will just go with the 8bitdo controllers or retrobit as they're nearly half the cost and actually really well built (I've got the 8bitdo genesis controller I use on my genesis and it's great). I'm sure a bunch of them will end up on yahoo auctions soon after release. :P

24 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

The Retrobit Tribute 64 controller is pretty good. The stick sensitivity is way off though, so it really only works well for certain games. If you're playing in Retroarch, you're better off just using any standard modern controller though.

There are no standard modern controllers that are a good replacement for the N64. I have a couple of SNES clones, an 8bitdo NES controller, a couple of arcade joysticks, and a couple Xbox Series X controllers; all for my PC. The N64 is the only one that doesn't quite feel right. I'd also kill for a Neo Geo CD gamepad with the clicky joystick. Unfortunately, the Neo Geo Mini controller doesn't do clicky sticks and the USB pad for the PlayStation are hard to come by and expensive when they do show up.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There are no standard modern controllers that are a good replacement for the N64. I have a couple of SNES clones, an 8bitdo NES controller, a couple of arcade joysticks, and a couple Xbox Series X controllers; all for my PC. The N64 is the only one that doesn't quite feel right. I'd also kill for a Neo Geo CD gamepad with the clicky joystick. Unfortunately, the Neo Geo Mini controller doesn't do clicky sticks and the USB pad for the PlayStation are hard to come by and expensive when they do show up.

I kind of feel dirty when I use my Neo CD controllers when I play on my AES system instead of the original stick controller. :)

1 minute ago, chakoo said:

I kind of feel dirty when I use my Neo CD controllers when I play on my AES system instead of the original stick controller. :)

The CD gamepad is so good, though. That thumb joystick feels unlike anything else ever made. What I really want is the PlayStation Neo Geo CD controller with 6 face buttons, shoulder buttons, and the clicky stick. One of these days I'll convinced myself that it's totally worth spending $150 on a used controller from more than a decade ago.

27 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Omg I didn’t know we’re finally getting 64 games.  4 player kart online is all I need.  Zelda too!!!!!!!  Also lol strider!

yeee,  yeeeeeee hahahaha (final fight in strider)

I cannot even fathom going back to N64 Zelda after the stellar 3DS versions. Woohoo 15FPS and awful visuals!

On 9/23/2021 at 11:30 PM, Ghost_MH said:

They've always been a bit more flexible with games. I mean, Capcom made two Zelda games that are full canon and in the official timeline. Sega made an F-Zero so good Nintendo threw their hands up and decided they couldn't top it. Namco has made four Mario Kart games, so far. Nintendo hasn't made a movie since their '93 Mario movie fell flat and the only TV I can think of is their Kirby series, though maybe they had something else in Japan that never made it States-side.

For some reason, they're really finnicky over adapting their games for film and TV. They canceled that live action Zelda series a while back and a stop motion Star Fox series that was supposedly looking pretty rad. I really hope they revive some of these. I'd love to see the stop motion Star Fox come back.

Omg, I forgot they made the Oracle games, Four Swords, and Minish Cap too, right? 

On 9/24/2021 at 12:30 AM, Xbob42 said:

3x cheaper with 15x less functionality.

There’s handheld devices that have infinitely cheaper online services (ie: free) that don’t charge anything for better functionally.  Even moreso now with the Deck.

That should be the larger takeaway.  The consoles (and Switch) are all still scamming us.  Sony and Microsoft could charge Nintendo’s pricing and it’d still be too much to jump through their hoops.

I still think what they’re doing now is way better than selling NES games for $5 a pop.  And Switch is portable console with a dpad and such.

If Games Pass costs $180 a year MSRP (with online play, on console), perhaps ~$30 a year for an old games library up to the early 2000s is acceptable.  If GoG did something like this, I think people would actually celebrate it.

But this always comes with the caveat that Nintendo is ultimately doing it to soften the blow of a console tax for online play.  

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I will be legitimately upset if the N64 controller has no rumble.

Also, I hope the version of Mario 64 that Nintendo brings here is the Shidou edition that supported rumble.

Im definitely getting two N64 controllers.  I too hope for rumble, but this is Nintendo. Im sure that will be next year. My wife loves those old n64 games, they were the last generation she really played as a teen. Nostalgia and all that jazz. 

19 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I still think what they’re doing now is way better than selling NES games for $5 a pop.  And Switch is portable console with a dpad and such.

I agree that it's the right way to handle this (that or the classics system line). The problem is their lack of supporting the service over time. They'll start out reasonable but then stop short of actually releasing stuff people want.

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I will be legitimately upset if the N64 controller has no rumble.

Also, I hope the version of Mario 64 that Nintendo brings here is the Shidou edition that supported rumble.

I doubt they will have rumble but it would be cool if it actually supported n64 rumble packs (doubtful). Also based on the photos shown for Japan I don't think they're using the Shindou edition (I actually own a box copy of this version).