Official "y'all need to chill" summer thread of repressed energy and alcohol

• 2 weeks later...
210818194054-airlne-passengers-stock-sup
WWW.CNN.COM

Federal authorities are proposing more than a half-million dollars in new fines against commercial airline passengers they say refused to wear masks, hit flight attendants and even threw...

The largest fine announced Thursday -- $45,000 -- is against a passenger accused of throwing his luggage at another passenger and, while lying on the aisle floor, "grabbing a flight attendant by the ankles and putting his head up her skirt." That New York to Orlando flight was forced to land early in Virginia.

• Like 1

I find the whole concept of this thread surreal as I stopped drinking nearly 20 years ago. I mean, I'll have a beer every month or so, but it just doesn't do anything for me any more. I think the Army really cured me of ever wanting to be shit-faced drunk ever again. I honestly don't remember the whole third year of service because I was drunk the entire time, but I did good things because they gave me medals and promotions. Maybe I just drank really well....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
“Maybe some of the flight attendants ought to show some respect to us, OK?” the Fox News host complained.

Judge Winebox has definitely screamed at flight attendants while plastered before.

613a92ae2600008ded54071f.png?ops=1778_10
WWW.HUFFPOST.COM

“Maybe some of the flight attendants ought to show some respect to us, OK?” the Fox News host complained.

• 2 weeks later...
661dbda2-6623-4043-b2ab-59b62514e3bd_114
WWW.KGW.COM

The shooting happened near Silver Dollar Pizza, a sports bar located on the corner of Northwest 21st Avenue and Glisan Street.

I know the one who was killed. Not very well, but we've worked together a few times.

Silver Dollar was already a bar I liked to avoid if I could help it even pre-COVID. Ever since things opened back up something happens there every weekend, it seems. A few weeks ago apparently there was a full on bar brawl with chair throwing and everything.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:
661dbda2-6623-4043-b2ab-59b62514e3bd_114
WWW.KGW.COM

The shooting happened near Silver Dollar Pizza, a sports bar located on the corner of Northwest 21st Avenue and Glisan Street.

I know the one who was killed. Not very well, but we've worked together a few times.

Silver Dollar was already a bar I liked to avoid if I could help it even pre-COVID. Ever since things opened back up something happens there every weekend, it seems. A few weeks ago apparently there was a full on bar brawl with chair throwing and everything.

Looks like you need someone to clean up that town

road_house.jpg?itok=Csxsfphq

2 hours ago, chakoo said:
FALPT8wWYAE6Ccj.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOX26HOUSTON.COM

Six cyclists were run over by a pickup truck along old 290, roughly 2 miles west of Waller.  In total, four of the cyclists had to be taken to area hospitals, including 2 by helicopter.

:angry:

Ah yes, the sentient self-driving pickup truck, we really should do something about those.

• Guillotine 1

5 hours ago, chakoo said:
FALPT8wWYAE6Ccj.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOX26HOUSTON.COM

Six cyclists were run over by a pickup truck along old 290, roughly 2 miles west of Waller.  In total, four of the cyclists had to be taken to area hospitals, including 2 by helicopter.

:angry:

Fucking rolling coal idiots. These guys were training for the fucking Ironman and fucking truck roly-polies think they can outmanly them in a MACHINE.

20 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Fucking rolling coal idiots. These guys were training for the fucking Ironman and fucking truck roly-polies think they can outmanly them in a MACHINE.

It was a dumb kid. Raise the driving age.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Someone else blew smoke at them and the kid copied the behavior. 

That is not what happened. He did it multiple times to different parts of the cycling group.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study comparing empathetic behavior between people who drive all/most of the time to people who only drive sometimes/never. I do know that road rage tends to stem from people viewing their cars as extensions of themselves while driving, but there seems to be more of a sense of "NO! THIS SPACE IS MINE! FUCK YOU" whereas pedestrians/cyclists tend to be more like "this is *our* space

And yes, I know everyone has a fucking story about the time a person on a bike ran a stop sign or whatever. People on bikes can be dicks, too. But it's like people will rant about that ONE TIME this fucking dude on a bike cut them off, meanwhile people in cars do it every time they're on the freeway, but it's okay because they're cars, and cars are a protected class.

And yes, I know everyone has a fucking story about the time a person on a bike ran a stop sign or whatever. People on bikes can be dicks, too. But it's like people will rant about that ONE TIME this fucking dude on a bike cut them off, meanwhile people in cars do it every time they're on the freeway, but it's okay because they're cars, and cars are a protected class.

I have more of an issue with people on bikes riding on the sidewalk. I believe I told a tale on here that people sympathized with the biker but, walking down the street and YOU move out of the way not to get hit by a bike and the guy on the bike says, "thanks"

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I have more of an issue with people on bikes riding on the sidewalk. I believe I told a tale on here that people sympathized with the biker but, walking down the street and YOU move out of the way not to get hit by a bike and the guy on the bike says, "thanks"

That is a common problem, however it must be said that most of the time, the only reason people ride bikes on the sidewalk is because it's not safe to do it on the street. Ideally, bike and car infrastructure should be kept separate. It's only in suburban hellscapes covered in stroads with no bike lanes (and not even any sidewalks some of the time) that the conflict between bike/pedestrian becomes pronounced.

That's not to excuse the behavior of basically doing the same thing people in cars do on streets ("this is MY space, get out of the way!"), but it is an effect of the problem of common space being dominated by car travel. Everyone is expected to just get out of the way of cars.

Basically my point is cars are a fucking cancer and should be eliminated whenever and wherever possible.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study comparing empathetic behavior between people who drive all/most of the time to people who only drive sometimes/never. I do know that road rage tends to stem from people viewing their cars as extensions of themselves while driving, but there seems to be more of a sense of "NO! THIS SPACE IS MINE! FUCK YOU" whereas pedestrians/cyclists tend to be more like "this is *our* space

I know at the 4 way stop by my house, cars frequently start to go into before braking half way in the intersection even though it was my turn because they don't view bikes as legitimate vehicles. I think people in cars hate on bikes because they view them as slow "others" intruding on their space and shouldn't be there. 

Oftentimes if it is particularly busy ill get off my bike and cross on foot because people are more conditioned to respect pedestrians even if it is slower for everyone involved. 

21 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

That is a common problem, however it must be said that most of the time, the only reason people ride bikes on the sidewalk is because it's not safe to do it on the street. Ideally, bike and car infrastructure should be kept separate. It's only in suburban hellscapes covered in stroads with no bike lanes (and not even any sidewalks some of the time) that the conflict between bike/pedestrian becomes pronounced.

That's not to excuse the behavior of basically doing the same thing people in cars do on streets ("this is MY space, get out of the way!"), but it is an effect of the problem of common space being dominated by car travel. Everyone is expected to just get out of the way of cars.

Basically my point is cars are a fucking cancer and should be eliminated whenever and wherever possible.

In DC the shared scooters are capped by law to 10 mph (in most places they're capped to 15). I tried riding them when I was in DC last month and it basically guarantees you ride on the sidewalk because it's incredibly uncomfortable riding in the street when you feel like a sitting duck.

But then DC also just passed a law requiring all the shared scooters to be locked to something when not in use, so it seems like they're trying to backdoor ban the things by just legally requiring them to be as useless as possible. God forbid they just remove a parking spot per block to and designate them as shared device parking.

13 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

There's a stretch on my walk home where it is strangely common for cyclists to either ride on the sidewalk or in the car lane. At least when they're on the sidewalk I can step into the bike lane to let them go by.

14 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

I know at the 4 way stop by my house, cars frequently start to go into before braking half way in the intersection even though it was my turn because they don't view bikes as legitimate vehicles. I think people in cars hate on bikes because they view them as slow "others" intruding on their space and shouldn't be there. 

Oftentimes if it is particularly busy ill get off my bike and cross on foot because people are more conditioned to respect pedestrians even if it is slower for everyone involved. 

I frequently have to stop to avoid bikes that feel they don't need to stop at stop signs at 4-way intersections.