Official "y'all need to chill" summer thread of repressed energy and alcohol

https://www.kptv.com/news/gresham-police-investigating-after-bouncer-shot-at-bar/article_196a09a6-e27a-11eb-98aa-472bfa917277.html

4b34b99b-6cd0-40c4-9201-d26cf8a6d07a-lar
KATU.COM

A Multnomah County deputy was knocked unconscious when attempting to break up a fight atMcMenamins Edgefield in Troutdale Saturday evening...

As someone who is bartending this summer... Y'all need to chill. I know it's fun being able to go out again, but you don't have to treat every day like it's your 21st birthday again.

In Portland we're allowed to be open till 2:30 again, but a lot of bars are just choosing to not do that. There's too much mayhem.

I pretty much live The Big Lebowski life at this point and do my drinking at the bowling alley.  On the weekend, you can pay something like $20 to bowl all you want from 9pm to 2am and the beer is priced affordably too.  That place is an anomaly for bowling alleys though as they're running two large bars out of it.

There's a bar by my house that had to close early on Friday night because they ran out of food, then they had to close Saturday night because a full on brawl broke out. Chair throwing and everything. We also had to close early one night for running out of food.

26 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

There's a bar by my house that had to close early on Friday night because they ran out of food, then they had to close Saturday night because a full on brawl broke out. Chair throwing and everything. We also had to close early one night for running out of food.

Why would a bar close because they ran out of food?

Don’t bars primarily serve alcohol?

35 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Does Oregon legally require you to have food available to be open serving alcohol???

42 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Why would a bar close because they ran out of food?

Don’t bars primarily serve alcohol?

In Oregon you can't serve liquor without "prepared entrees" which have to meet certain requirements. You can serve beer/wine without food, but it's a separate license

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

Does Oregon legally require you to have food available to be open serving alcohol???

Depends on the license, but generally yes. You can't serve hard alcohol without "prepared entrees" and there are certain requirements. Like something from a vending machine doesn't count as food.

You can serve beer/wine without food, but it's a tricky thing where you have to have a specific license for beer/wine, which most bars don't bother with.

10 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

In Oregon you can't serve liquor without "prepared entrees" which have to meet certain requirements. You can serve beer/wine without food, but it's a separate license

Depends on the license, but generally yes. You can't serve hard alcohol without "prepared entrees" and there are certain requirements. Like something from a vending machine doesn't count as food.

You can serve beer/wine without food, but it's a tricky thing where you have to have a specific license for beer/wine, which most bars don't bother with.

Figured. I think the vast majority of bars in Los Angeles have food and I think there's a similar legal/regulatory reason.

So in Oregon once you run out of food, you have to close down since you no longer have "prepared entrees" available? And as a customer you don't HAVE to order food to get a drink in Oregon, right, the bar just has to give you the option?

A great number of bars in my Ohio college town sold popcorn because there had to be something available and it could just be snacks or something. Was great for college. VA has to have a certain % of sales must be food (iirc) and at least in Richmond has lead to some fantastic dining options here

52 minutes ago, Jason said:

Figured. I think the vast majority of bars in Los Angeles have food and I think there's a similar legal/regulatory reason.

So in Oregon once you run out of food, you have to close down since you no longer have "prepared entrees" available? And as a customer you don't HAVE to order food to get a drink in Oregon, right, the bar just has to give you the option?

Right. If you have a full on premises liquor license, you have to offer prepared food. No food = no booze.

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

If I was at a bar that ran out of food, you could hear the sonic boom I’d make as I exited the premises all the way from Canada. 

"My name is Beery Allen, and I am the fastest drunk alive."

UBZ4N2XBZRHJ7J6HTQCC3HNPSM.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

She also bit a crew member during the Texas-to-North Carolina flight last week, the airline says.

Doesn't matter that it's physically impossible to open the cabin door mid-flight, the point is she tried.

Quote of the article: 

The Federal Aviation Administration has reported a recent increase in the number of reports of unruly behavior on flights. In May, the agency said it was reviewing 1,300 reports of passengers behaving badly on flights since February — after initiating 1,300 such cases in the decade prior.

More instances of unruly behavior in the last 4 months than the last decade combined. And people wonder why flight attendants are quitting and/or don't want to go back to their jobs.

... y'all need to chill

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

UBZ4N2XBZRHJ7J6HTQCC3HNPSM.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

She also bit a crew member during the Texas-to-North Carolina flight last week, the airline says.

Doesn't matter that it's physically impossible to open the cabin door mid-flight, the point is she tried.

Quote of the article: 

More instances of unruly behavior in the last 4 months than the last decade combined. And people wonder why flight attendants are quitting and/or don't want to go back to their jobs.

... y'all need to chill

Going Crazy GIF by Adult Swim

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

At this point, I REALLY do want the Association of Flight Attendants to go on strike to force the government to take FAR harsher measures against those who commit this behavior.

Bring the US commercial passenger airline system to a grinding halt.

In fact, I just tweeted exactly that idea to the AFA-CWA account.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or the fire season thread, but I feel like it fits here better, since it was just a house fire

ae2fe5bb-26e3-44de-aaa9-60399213b715_114
WWW.KGW.COM

Investigators have determined that fireworks caused the deadly fire at a Northeast Portland apartment complex on the Fourth of July

Yes, we had a firework ban. No, people didn't care. Someone decided to light some fireworks in a dumpster

... Chill, homies.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:46 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Right. If you have a full on premises liquor license, you have to offer prepared food. No food = no booze.

What is this prohibition-era bullshit?  Isn't Portlandia supposed to be a land of substance-using vegans partying until dawn?  Do the hipsters just refuse to vote because voting isn't hipster enough?

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or the fire season thread, but I feel like it fits here better, since it was just a house fire

ae2fe5bb-26e3-44de-aaa9-60399213b715_114
WWW.KGW.COM

Investigators have determined that fireworks caused the deadly fire at a Northeast Portland apartment complex on the Fourth of July

Yes, we had a firework ban. No, people didn't care. Someone decided to light some fireworks in a dumpster

... Chill, homies.

They just legalized fireworks here in Iowa, but you're only allowed to use them until 11:30pm.

So people were basically firing $500 mortars into the sky until 3am.  From about 5pm to midnight it sounded like the firebombing of Dresden and the whole city wound up bathed in smog.

10 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Covid and Donald Trump broke this country on a psychic level

Ehhhh - I'm not willing to give a relatively "mild" (by historic standards) pandemic and the Imbecile-in-Chief that much credit, not when ample evidence exists that delusion is essentially one of the foundations upon which American society is built.  

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ehhhh - I'm not willing to give a relatively "mild" (by historic standards) pandemic and the Imbecile-in-Chief that much credit, not when ample evidence exists that delusion is essentially one of the foundations upon which American society is built.  

I'd argue that the rise of social media and the internet has amplified this to a much greater degree than before

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Re-read your Orwell and recall the lesson of Winston's fate: the only difference between delusion and reality is power; any delusion, properly enforced by authority, is capable of escaping the epistemic prison and becoming reality.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:50 AM, Fizzzzle said:

Heh, one of my neighborhood bars started staying open till 2:30, which is the legal limit right now. That lasted a whole 5 days before they were like "...nope" and went back to closing at 1. People are acting too fucking crazy.

• Shocked 1