Official "y'all need to chill" summer thread of repressed energy and alcohol

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I frequently have to stop to avoid bikes that feel they don't need to stop at stop signs at 4-way intersections.

And that's fine, but cars often don't respect bikes that do follow the rules of the road. And if you hit a bike that's not following the rules it loses, if a car hits me following the rules I lose. 

Regardless of what mode of transportation is being used, people will eventually do dangerous stuff. We can make outcomes from these actions safer for everyone if we minimize potential points of contact and make efforts to actually protect those who are most vulnerable even if it comes at the expense of the convenience of some other users (specifically in this case, cars)

My god someone nearly killed me and my family on the interstate because they were going the wrong way in their car but to listen to some people a person on a bike doing a rolling stop at a stop sign is just as bad.

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Regardless of what mode of transportation is being used, people will eventually do dangerous stuff. We can make outcomes from these actions safer for everyone if we minimize potential points of contact and make efforts to actually protect those who are most vulnerable even if it comes at the expense of the convenience of some other users (specifically in this case, cars)

My god someone nearly killed me and my family on the interstate because they were going the wrong way in their car but to listen to some people a person on a bike doing a rolling stop at a stop sign is just as bad.

I think the difference is cars are often actively hostile towards me on a bike and not in a car.

As someone who biked in the city for years who grew up and now lives in a rural area where I have to drive… cyclists doing dangerous things catch the eyes of drivers because they’re novel and the engagement is generally more intimate. I guarantee that you see cars do more dangerous shit on your everyday commute than you do when you engage with cyclists, you’re just used to it and tune out everything but the most egregious behavior. I’ve never had a cab or a city bus tap the rear of my car with their bumper at red lights because they thought it was funny, I’ve had that happen on my bike probably a dozen times.

39 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

As someone who biked in the city for years who grew up and now lives in a rural area where I have to drive… cyclists doing dangerous things catch the eyes of drivers because they’re novel and the engagement is generally more intimate. I guarantee that you see cars do more dangerous shit on your everyday commute than you do when you engage with cyclists, you’re just used to it and tune out everything but the most egregious behavior. I’ve never had a cab or a city bus tap the rear of my car with their bumper at red lights because they thought it was funny, I’ve had that happen on my bike probably a dozen times.

Yup, guaranteed that every single driver whining about cyclists "blowing through red lights" does shit like roll through stop signs without stopping themselves.

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I know that. EAST San Diego county is what I'm saying.

Imperial Beach and no it definitely isn't common around here. I've never seen it anyway and I've been riding my bike a long time.

Its one thing to roll through a stop sign. This person went through it going 10+ MPH faster than the speed limit with no hesitation. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To follow-up:

22e8ed6d-3a6e-4c1e-ad06-38a264aa2ad8_114
WWW.KHOU.COM

The Waller County District Attorney's Office announced a 16-year-old driver is being charged with six counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Charges have been filed against a 16-year-old who is accused of driving his truck into a group of cyclists in Waller County earlier this year.

The Waller County District Attorney's Office assigned its own investigators to find out what happened and to determine if charges were warranted.

On Monday, The DA's Office announced the driver would be charged with six counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, one count for each cyclist injured. Three of them were seriously hurt, according to an attorney representing them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

To follow-up:

WWW.KHOU.COM

The Waller County District Attorney's Office announced a 16-year-old driver is being charged with six counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

200.gif

56 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

To follow-up:

WWW.KHOU.COM

Happy Good News GIF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Officially winter now, but there have now been, I believe, 3 shootings within a few blocks of my house in as many months. I know to someone who lives in certain parts of Chicago that must seem like rookie numbers.

Our cars regularly get broken into every couple months. Plenty of people i know just leave their cars unlocked so they at least don't have to replace their windows. There was a homeless camp across the street from my house, they usually break the camp up when it gets cold out. They had a big brawl a couple months ago. I got mugged a block from my house the summer before last where I got a knife to my throat.

I've had some people be like "but it's dangerous!" When I mention wanting to move to Louisiana or Texas or something. Like, motherfucker, where I've been living has been dangerous.

Granted, my part of Portland is basically close to something like Hollywood, if anyone's ever been there. A lot of rich, poor, and homeless bumping shoulders. Most of Portland is not nearly as tumultuous.

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Officially winter now, but there have now been, I believe, 3 shootings within a few blocks of my house in as many months. I know to someone who lives in certain parts of Chicago that must seem like rookie numbers.

Our cars regularly get broken into every couple months. Plenty of people i know just leave their cars unlocked so they at least don't have to replace their windows. There was a homeless camp across the street from my house, they usually break the camp up when it gets cold out. They had a big brawl a couple months ago. I got mugged a block from my house the summer before last where I got a knife to my throat.

I've had some people be like "but it's dangerous!" When I mention wanting to move to Louisiana or Texas or something. Like, motherfucker, where I've been living has been dangerous.

Granted, my part of Portland is basically close to something like Hollywood, if anyone's ever been there. A lot of rich, poor, and homeless bumping shoulders. Most of Portland is not nearly as tumultuous.

I think I mentioned I had my catalytic converter stolen within two weeks of moving here (about two miles from you, IIRC). For all of the bullshit pearl clutching going on on Fox News about Portland, there does seem to be a lack of law enforcement here. :/

As a long-time local, are you aware of any good resources (e.g.barticles, books) on the "decline" of Portland? I've heard a lot of people say it has really gone downhill over the last few years but I'd be interested to learn the history from some more objective sources than Fox fucking News. :p 

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

I think I mentioned I had my catalytic converter stolen within two weeks of moving here (about two miles from you, IIRC). For all of the bullshit pearl clutching going on on Fox News about Portland, there does seem to be a lack of law enforcement here. :/

As a long-time local, are you aware of any good resources (e.g.barticles, books) on the "decline" of Portland? I've heard a lot of people say it has really gone downhill over the last few years but I'd be interested to learn the history from some more objective sources than Fox fucking News. :p 

I don't have a resource, but I can definitely say that I never used to have to look over my shoulder in northwest. I would never have guessed that inner southeast (at least east of like 15th) is probably the safest part of town. Shit, I don't even remember there even being a sketchy part of town in particular.

When I was a kid, there were places that you didn't go, like the Southeast industrial area (where Montage is) or Lloyd Park or whatever, but now I live in an area that you kind of have to have money to live, and I've never felt less safe.

Granted, I'm a bartender and I'm out a lot in the wee hours of the morning. I'm walking the streets when everything bad happens. So I'm probably a little more hyper-alert than you would normally have to be. I was walking home about two blocks away from the shooting last night.