Windows 11 will be free - Auto HDR, Direct Storage Support, Xbox App Built in with XCloud

Brian

2 minutes ago, AshsToAshs said:

Seriously?

I've always had my taskbar at the top of my screen.

If I am forced to have it at the bottom that is going to suckkkkkkkk.

windows-11-740x414.png
WCCFTECH.COM

Windows 11 Taskbar Is Fixed at the Bottom of the Screen - You Cannot Dock It Elsewhere, Which Means the New OS May be a Deal Breaker for Some

5 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

A free upgrade I would have expected.

But will it be free to install on fresh systems, permanently?  You can install Windows 10 to anything, but if you don't buy it in 30 days you get limited features.  Is 11 the same?

Are you talking about people who have never owned windows and build a new system or you personally who already have Windows 10 installed?

If you mean the latter I'm guessing it will work how it currently works. Just deactivate the previous version off the other system and use it to put on your new system (though I did have to dig out my old windows 8 product key to activate it)

13 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Are you talking about people who have never owned windows and build a new system or you personally who already have Windows 10 installed?

If you mean the latter I'm guessing it will work how it currently works. Just deactivate the previous version off the other system and use it to put on your new system (though I did have to dig out my old windows 8 product key to activate it)

Going to be upgrading my HTPC with new hardware.  And if GPU prices get normalish I'm building a third machine.

23 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Looks like DirectStorrage requires a 1+TB SSD.

Xbox_Wire_Windows11-740x416.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

Microsoft revealed today that the new DirectStorage API, which will aim to greatly improve load times, will only be available in Windows 11.

Yep. This is a pretty stringent requirement. 1TB NVMe drives aren't exactly common. To get anything larger usually costs $300-400.

I'd wager most people here, if they have an NVMe drive, probably have less than 1TB capacity.

There's some confusion surrounding TPM 2.0 that I think needs to be cleared up. While some might need a header device, most modern systems can support TPM 2.0 through a firmware feature. Here's an article that explains more:

windows-11-cover-740x193.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

Microsoft has announced a big change to the TPM requirements for Windows 11 OS running on AMD & Intel CPU based PC platforms.

This tweet embedded in the Wccftech article from AMD's Robert Hallock explains this for Ryzen platforms. The BIOS firmware contains AGESA code (this is a section of code in the BIOS for running the CPU) which contains TPM 2.0 support. It may be disabled in the BIOS settings which you'd have to go in there and change.

The article also notes that the final release will supposedly support TPM 1.2 as well for older platforms, opening up the OS to many more people, including first-gen Ryzen.

14 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

HDR and SDR content are very different. You generally don't want HDR enabled in SDR content because it looks dark and weird and bad. Currently in Windows there's an HDR switch buried in an annoying menu to turn it on, which you have to manually do for some games and content. I imagine this would enable it by default when HDR flagged content is ran while on an HDR display, streamlining the process dramatically. 

This may actually be referring to a feature seen on backwards-compatible Xbox games where HDR has been added in, which may be added to Windows games (probably those running through Xbox Game Pass) though I'm not sure.

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My NVME is 250 gb. But I usually like to have my games on a separate drive than the OS. Can we use direct storage on a different nvme drive?

Sounds like you can. I don't see any mention of requiring the OS drive to be the direct storage drive.

35 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Sounds like you can. I don't see any mention of requiring the OS drive to be the direct storage drive.

Okay so I should be set then as long as the OS doesn’t need it to be 1tb! I guess my next question is I have a 2tb nvme and a 1tb sata ssd, does this only work with nvme?

Also @Xbob42 auto hdr is different than just turning on hdr in Windows, it’s a separate feature, I believe using an algorithm so maybe think of it as like dlss but for hdr.

It seemed like it’s pretty solid in the couple games I tried before needing to bail on preview so I can just play games without bugs. 

58 minutes ago, Reputator said:

This may actually be referring to a feature seen on backwards-compatible Xbox games where HDR has been added in, which may be added to Windows games (probably those running through Xbox Game Pass) though I'm not sure.

This is probably the case because in the video they showed, they showed Skyrim as an example. Pretty sure that never had HDR.

21 minutes ago, stepee said:

Okay so I should be set then as long as the OS doesn’t need it to be 1tb! I guess my next question is I have a 2tb nvme and a 1tb sata ssd, does this only work with nvme?

Also @Xbob42 auto hdr is different than just turning on hdr in Windows, it’s a separate feature, I believe using an algorithm so maybe think of it as like dlss but for hdr.

It seemed like it’s pretty solid in the couple games I tried before needing to bail on preview so I can just play games without bugs. 

Current documentation says it does need to be an NVMe drive, so the 1TB SATA drive won't do. Makes sense. NVMe is full PCIe, so I don't see how you could quickly hit the storage through a SATA controller that's basically just an updated IDE interface.

15 hours ago, Brick said:

What do they mean by auto HDR? HDR is a hardware feature of monitors, isn't it? Is it just going to auto detect and turn on HDR if your monitor is capable?

It will take games that have not been updated to include native HDR support and allow them to be played in HDR, just like on the Xbox. The resulting HDR effect isn't quite as good as a native implementation, but you do end up with a higher dynamic range than without it.

heatmap.png

I've heard pretty good things about it on the Series X, but never seen it for myself.

4 hours ago, Reputator said:
Xbox_Wire_Windows11-740x416.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

Microsoft revealed today that the new DirectStorage API, which will aim to greatly improve load times, will only be available in Windows 11.

Yep. This is a pretty stringent requirement. 1TB NVMe drives aren't exactly common. To get anything larger usually costs $300-400.

I'd wager most people here, if they have an NVMe drive, probably have less than 1TB capacity.

Just made it! Mine is a 1TB drive.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Psh, you plebs. I have 1TB and 2TB NVMe drives.

I have a 1TB. I think I will probably hold out on Win11 and wait for late 2023/2024. I imagine by then DDR5 will be cheaper and Ryzen should be at 5nm by then. Throw in another NVME drive or two and I should be good. Probably will drop AIO water cooling. I kinda want to do a full water cooling build but will decide when the time comes. 

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Current documentation says it does need to be an NVMe drive, so the 1TB SATA drive won't do. Makes sense. NVMe is full PCIe, so I don't see how you could quickly hit the storage through a SATA controller that's basically just an updated IDE interface.

That makes sense, I’m going to add another nvme sometime this year for more storage so that’s fine if I can’t use that 1tb for it.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Yes you're right of course, I completely forgot about "we'll make your SDR games HDR." That one does seem interesting, I have some trepidation about it, but I hope it's great!

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Yes you're right of course, I completely forgot about "we'll make your SDR games HDR." That one does seem interesting, I have some trepidation about it, but I hope it's great!

A Hat in Time was pretty nice with it! BUT, what if we can do this with emulation. :o

3 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

You act like a 6700k is slow.

I didn't say it was slow / fast or anything. I simply said it's old. 

Component video can deliver HD video, but you have not seen much / any support for it in recent years.  Do you complain that your HDTV from 10 years ago is being rendered obsolete because Apple / Amazon / Google / etc don't have streaming devices that support it? 

4 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

No, that's what a chromecast is for.

Huh?  How will that help if your tv doesn't support HDMI?  

Some people said the same thing when video cards moved from AGP to PCIe..."My system is fast!!! Support my old setup!"

Windows 10 will be supported for years still I'd imagine, so why worry?  

My Motherboard does not support TPM 1.2 or 2.0 but has a TPM 2.0 header. OK cool, I'll just buy the correct TPM 2.0 add on board (GC-TPM2.0_S module) and...not in stock anywhere but ebay. Never change 2021! :sun:

Edit: Apparently on intel Chipsets you can enable fTPM which will do the trick and can be found on most major mobos under advanced -> System info -> TPP. I turned that on in the BIOS and bingo, I'm good to go for windows 11! 

On 6/24/2021 at 7:06 PM, AshsToAshs said:

Seriously?

I've always had my taskbar at the top of my screen.

If I am forced to have it at the bottom that is going to suckkkkkkkk.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:13 PM, AshsToAshs said:

THAT IS GOING TO SUCK

You're a monster and Microsoft is forcing this on you for your own good.

Nobody should have they're taskbar at the top. That's terrible and you all should feel bad. On the left side of the screen is, however, perfectly acceptable. It's where I put mine when I used to do a lot of graphic design and again when I had an ultra wide monitor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Nobody should have they're taskbar at the top. That's terrible and you all should feel bad. On the left side of the screen is, however, perfectly acceptable. It's where I put mine when I used to do a lot of graphic design and again when I had an ultra wide monitor.

Personally I haven't played around with alternate taskbar placement since the XP days.

20 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Personally I haven't played around with alternate taskbar placement since the XP days.

GNOME has tossed the taskbar on the left side for years, so when I was primarily Linux, switching between it and Windows was handy. It was also handy back in my graphic design days on Mac OS 9 since I was mostly doing pamphlets and magazine layouts and having more vertical space on an old CRT was worth it.

Only time recently I've done it was when I had an ultra wide monitor at the office. A long ass taskbar feels like such a waste of space.

Also, yay for getting Captains Workspace to post a video more than once a year.

• Like 1