Windows 11 will be free - Auto HDR, Direct Storage Support, Xbox App Built in with XCloud

Brian

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I read there is a memory leak so I might just hold off until they iron that out.

dL9iXQ56etHyxj2wJz69KV-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Windows 11 will soon be rolling out, but will File Explorer keep chomping through your RAM?

• Thanks 1

I’ve been on the release version of W11 from the preview for a week or two. Haven’t had any issues so far. D2R has this weird issue where the frames will tank but immediately rebound if I alt-tab out of the game. It only happens in the third act, so I’m thinking it might be a game issue not W11. 

Every other game and program I’ve used work fine. 

My motherboard (Z170 Pro S) doesn't allow for supported CPU's, in spite of having TPM support and some of the 7th gen intel processors working with dev builds.

That's okay.  Really would want Auto HDR, but it sounds like there's some performance snags already with Windows 11.  Might be best just to resort to a dev build of 10 for that.

My biggest window 11 complaint is the lack of taskbar shortcuts. Sometimes when I'm being lazy and just mousing around, I could right click on the taskbar to do things like show desktop, stack windows, or open the task manager. Sure, the are also keyboard shortcuts for all of those, I liked the lazy options too. Now right clicking on the task bar does nothing but bring up task bar settings.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

My biggest window 11 complaint is the lack of taskbar shortcuts. Sometimes when I'm being lazy and just mousing around, I could right click on the taskbar to do things like show desktop, stack windows, or open the task manager. Sure, the are also keyboard shortcuts for all of those, I liked the lazy options too. Now right clicking on the task bar does nothing but bring up task bar settings.

Yes! This is my only complaint so far as well. I hope this is patched in as an option. I used it all the time, mostly for task manager, it was especially nice in remote desktop to do it that way.

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yes! This is my only complaint so far as well. I hope this is patched in as an option. I used it all the time, mostly for task manager, it was especially nice in remote desktop to do it that way.

This is it, mostly because ctrl+alt+end and ctrl+shift+esc doesn't always work in an RDP session. On my desktop, I just put wound up pinning the task manager directly to the taskbar. 

• 2 weeks later...

In case I forgot to mention it: A tiny program called StartAllBack allows you to customize the taskbar and start menu however you want, making it once again usable by adults who don't get scared by words and who don't need every instance of every app all grouped under a single awful icon you need to click before you can see each part of the app. For example, with Steam, if you had a message open, your friends list open, and your library open, that'd all be stuck under a "Steam" taskbar icon, which you would have to click, discern which window you actually wanted from 2cm thumbnails, and then click again. As opposed to something a sane human would find usable, like this:

Gibf21U.png

This fixes my main issue with Windows 11 with absolutely minimal work and since it's using code that's actually still in Windows 11 (they didn't remove any of these features, just piled shit on top of them to give us a "new" UI) it doesn't have any performance impact, has absolutely no technical issues that I can see, and is extremely lightweight to download and install.

So in other words, you still get the full Windows 11 experience, just without randomly removed customization options.

You can even keep the taskbar in the center if that tickles your fancy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm never getting a standalone PC again if I can help it. I'm thinking of maybe buying a tablet or convertible for any PC use I may have, but I basically do all my work off my phone (@Xbob42) including signing documents, I bought and sold a house this year off a Pixel 3 and am doing all my banking and investing in it. Remodeling my house on it. I may even... get an iPad.

Dramatic Chipmunk GIF

5 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm never getting a standalone PC again if I can help it. I'm thinking of maybe buying a tablet or convertible for any PC use I may have, but I basically do all my work off my phone (@Xbob42) including signing documents, I bought and sold a house this year off a Pixel 3 and am doing all my banking and investing in it. Remodeling my house on it. I may even... get an iPad.

Dramatic Chipmunk GIF

Roblox is so realistic these days, isn't it?

1 minute ago, Patatat said:

Installed it day one on my 10850k rig. No issues and I like it more than 10. Shrugs.

I actually like it as well. It runs pretty great on everything I've put it on, supported and unsupported. For unsupported, it's running on my Ryzen Pro file server. As far as supported systems go, I've got it running on a couple of i7 laptops, an SQ1 Surface Pro X, and my main gaming rig with a 3900x. It's running pretty smooth on everything with no issues to complain about so far. I haven't even seen any performance hitches on the 3900x, but I did wait for those to be patched out before upgrading.

I have no complaints and a real appreciation for auto-HDR and everything just feeling more unified than it did in Windows 10.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I actually like it as well. It runs pretty great on everything I've put it on, supported and unsupported. For unsupported, it's running on my Ryzen Pro file server. As far as supported systems go, I've got it running on a couple of i7 laptops, an SQ1 Surface Pro X, and my main gaming rig with a 3900x. It's running pretty smooth on everything with no issues to complain about so far. I haven't even seen any performance hitches on the 3900x, but I did wait for those to be patched out before upgrading.

I have no complaints and a real appreciation for auto-HDR and everything just feeling more unified than it did in Windows 10.

Yeah as a MacBook user I mainly like that it's basically am osx/Macos skin on windows, and I don't know why people would wanna move the taskbar to the left, especially with multiple monitor set ups.

Minor issue I have is the "open with" right click seems to be gone but I only use that with notepad so it's not a huge deal to just open notepad and open the bat file I need.

Also, the Xbox app seems to be fixed where on windows 10 it was total trash.

55 minutes ago, Patatat said:

Yeah as a MacBook user I mainly like that it's basically am osx/Macos skin on windows, and I don't know why people would wanna move the taskbar to the left, especially with multiple monitor set ups.

Minor issue I have is the "open with" right click seems to be gone but I only use that with notepad so it's not a huge deal to just open notepad and open the bat file I need.

Also, the Xbox app seems to be fixed where on windows 10 it was total trash.

"Open with" is still there. If there's more than one registered application for that file type you'll get the "open with" option on the right-click menu. If there isn't, it'll be hidden and you need to go right-click > show more options. Show more options brings up the old Windows 10-style right click menu which includes the "open with" item.

I found this pretty quickly when I realized that you don't get the 7-Zip explorer integrations in the main Windows 11 right-click menu.

• Like 1

I’m liking using the start menu instead of desktop since I’d already naturally started doing that and it seems built to be that way now.  I even keep the taskbar center, seems to work for me actually on my gaming pc hooked up to tv, not sure if I’ll like it on my work pc or not but I’m not doing that yet.