Thoughts and prayers: Not just for gun violence!

Utah, like a lot of the west, is experiencing drought.

84% of the state's water goes to agriculture. We live in a fucking desert. Half of that 84% goes to one crop: Alfalfa hay. Most which is sent to China.

Probably not noteworthy: Governor Cox was an Alfalfa farmer before he was Lt. governor and then governor.

He's also frequently touted as one of the "good" conservatives or whatever. No such thing but you know.

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Mark my words: the critical situation of water resources will lead to open military conflict between Western states in our lifetime.

When desalination actually becomes cost effective, whether by technological breakthrough or the sheer price of water, those land locked nations are going to get really itchy.

Good thing we have nice, stable, land locked nations like Belarus.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

When desalination actually becomes cost effective, whether by technological breakthrough or the sheer price of water, those land locked nations are going to get really itchy.

Good thing we have nice, stable, land locked nations like Belarus.

I think you misinterpreted what I meant by "states".

I didn't mean "countries" - I mean the Western states of the United States of America!

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I didn't mean "countries" - I mean the Western states of the United States of America!

I don't know about open military conflict, but if/when desalination becomes cost effective there are going to be a ton very unhappy states looking at all all that California coast.

43 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I still maintain that Americans are literally too fat/lazy/sheltered to take up arms against each other in any meaningful numbers. But I would love to be proven wrong.

40 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Water pipelines will run east to west from the Great Lakes like oil pipelines run north to south.

I’m down with this. I feel like Michigan is one of the best positioned political subdivisions on the planet to deal with climate change.

I used to never think Oregon would run into a water shortage. We still haven't yet. But the dry season comes earlier and earlier every year. We're saved by snow melt for the time being, but we've had like maybe 5 or 6 rainy days over the last 2 months. And a lot of people don't know that it basically doesn't rain west of the Rockies for 3 months of the year, even in the northwest.

55 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Drought is starting to spread around the great lakes as well. We've had literally one thunderstorm so far this calendar year.

On the plus side, once those lakes dry up think of all the free real estate.

I did a video up not long ago using Google Earth and the time lapse site. This is the lake just to the North of my town over the last 40ish years. 

It is slowly becoming a puddle as the farming on the river that feeds it become larger and larger. There has been non-stop lawsuits over water rights purchased by the group that is trying to save the lake. The lawsuits are based on even if the water rights are own by the group the farmers have found that they are under no obligation to allow the water to reach the lake. Couple this with the drought and well...