God of War pushed to 2022, will be cross gen along with GT7. HZD on target for 2021 but may still slip

Brian

• Brian changed the title to God of War pushed to 2022, will be cross gen along with GT7. HZD on target for 2021 but may still slip
3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, none of it was unexpected. We were never getting GoW this year. Im highly doubtful we get Horizon too. 

And no way Sony was going to ignore 100m ps4's.

yea i’m not totally shocked, but it’s still just a lot of bad news lol. They should have announced or shown something cool at the same time.

did anybody seriously think GoW2 was coming out this year? the only thing that would be surprising is horizon slipping to 22. well it would have been surprising until they didn’t give us a date at the state of play lol. 

Just now, stepee said:

yea i’m not totally shocked, but it’s still just a lot of bad news lol. They should have announced or shown something cool at the same time.

Agreed. Hopefully Sony does a presentation soon with something we don't know about.

As far as GoW, I lol'd so hard when they said that last summer. I knew there was zero chance.

2 minutes ago, Brick said:

So much for God of War Ragnarök being a showcase of true PS5 power.

This is a ridiculous opinion. Just because its on both, doesn't mean its not optimized for PS5. PC devs have been designing for multiple sku's for almost two decades.

8 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

This is a ridiculous opinion. Just because its on both, doesn't mean its not optimized for PS5. PC devs have been designing for multiple sku's for almost two decades.

The fact that there is a PS4 version means there is time and resources that could have been spent on the PS5 version. It's the same thing with any cross gen title. Same thing is happening with Battlefield 6 being cross gen instead of next gen only.

16 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

A cross gen title being optimized for the latest system isn’t a true next gen title, I don’t know what to say.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

The fact that there is a PS4 version means there is time and resources that could have been spent on the PS5 version. It's the same thing with any cross gen title. Same thing is happening with Battlefield 6 being cross gen instead of next gen only.

That was true when every console had special architecture that made no sense, like Cell architecture. Modern consoles use standard pc architecture. The components may be specific to the console, and the OS is different, but they are just PC's. There is no reason development for one should hinder the other.

I think the fact that Microsoft, and even Sony now more and more, are developing for PC, changes the idea of cross-gen games a bit.

When do we think the PC gaming minimum specs will be that of the PS5 and Xbox Series Consoles?  Microsoft need to develop for a wide array of PC devices day one for all their games, so Cross Gen games aren't as simple as developing for the Series S even.  They need to account for low end PC's they want included.  Sony might be thinking the same thing depending on time tables for their games possibly coming to PC.

53 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

That was true when every console had special architecture that made no sense, like Cell architecture. Modern consoles use standard pc architecture. The components may be specific to the console, and the OS is different, but they are just PC's. There is no reason development for one should hinder the other.

I understand why you would think that, but no. If you're developing a PS5 game, and have a feature that's really advanced, and will blow people's minds in a "this is next gen" kind of way, something that really takes advantage of the new hardware, but then when testing it on PS4 it either runs like crap, or not at all because the PS4 architecture can't properly do it, but because the game is supposed to be cross gen, you now have to scrap that idea entirely, therefore holding back the PS5 version. 

We're not going to see the true power of these new consoles until a few years from now egged developers get more used to the hardware, and when last gen versions are no longer viable to do. It happens every generation. Examples include Unchartered 1 to 2. First game came out in 2007, and then a couple of years later in 2009 the second game came out and looked a lot better as Naughty Dog got used to the PS3 specs, and knew how to take advantage of it. Mass Effect 1 vs Mass Effect 2 had a big visual improvement. Even this past gen, look at Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag which came out for PS3 and PS4, which on the PS4 looked quite a bit better, and compare it to Origins and Odyssey which I have a hard time imagining would run very well on the PS3. It's not as simple as just moving  those graphics settings sliders to the left.

We're already seeing games like Cyberpunk 2077 run like absolute ass in need of some Pepto Bismol on the One and PS4, when those versions never should have existed in the first place, and the game should have been a Series and PS5 only game (for consoles, obviously with a PC version as well). 

I imagine there are some bells and whistles that might not exist on a PS5 game because it's cross gen, but I've long waited for a concrete example of an exciting gameplay mechanic that was killed off because of a cross gen or even multi-platform release.

I also think it's really hard to tell the difference between the time period that devs are learning how to get the most out of a console generation and a game somehow held back by being cross gen. Even if you're only working on the PS5, if you release a game in the first year the platform exists, it's not going to look as good as the games that come later in its life.

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

The PS4 GoW's level design hid the loading times.  It was clever to make extra long tunnels between larger areas, and to make you jog in a circle when "fast traveling", but those are things that get old and noticeable 10+ hours into the game, and I was hoping the SSD would allow them to re-think their level designs in the next game.  The loading time difference between is the PS4 and PS5 just can't be optimized away.

i’m fine with GoW2 being cross gen. the best looking and smoothest games will likely be at the end of the ps5 cycle anyway. give people who only have a ps4 an opportunity to play it when it comes out. it being a BIG sony exclusive, i’m sure there is extra care being put into the PS5 version. 

4 hours ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

This news should make browsing ResetEra very enjoyable this afternoon.

:rofl: @ some of the first replies:

What the fuck

Well, shit....

OH FUCK NO

Well fuck

That's ugly lol

Disgusting

What a massive letdown.

ugh, cant wait to get out of this crossgen bullshit

And the most prophetic of all:

Oh boy...this thread is gonna go places

• Like 1