Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just had the thought, I know of one thing which has died during this conflict: the chance for nuclear disarmament. 

this is a very bad development 

The only way disarmament happens now is if the Russian state collapses, or a coup occurs and the new bosses are hippies. 

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

At the very least it appears that they have basically no precise or guided munitions. They are literally risking their planes to do low runs with dumb bombs.

Yeah, that same think tank's initial analysis hypothesized about their lack of precision-guided munitions, and thought that while it's likely true, they didn't feel like it was sufficient explanation for the poor showing.

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The only way disarmament happens now is if the Russian state collapses, or a coup occurs and the new bosses are hippies. 

Well, there's always the off-chance they might just launch everything, and then disarmament happens pretty damn fast. Just not the way people would prefer.

• Sad 1
  • True 2

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Just had the thought, I know of one thing which has died during this conflict: the chance for nuclear disarmament. 

this is a very bad development 

I haven't been paying as much attention, but I wouldn't have thought disarmament was a plausible outcome while Putin was in power. Reductions maybe, given the high cost of upkeep, but I wouldn't have expected Putin to give up his weapons.

I also don't think there's any chance that the US does as long as anyone else has nukes. Sure, polls like this show that people would rather there not be nuclear weapons, but if you asked people if we should give up our nukes before they've otherwise been eliminated and I'd guess the results would look quite different.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Iran has to be pissed.

Sure, you never want to be last in anything, but you also don't want the obscurity of being second last.

As Norm MacDonald used to say the world's worst job is assistant crack whore.*

(* Don't bring up crack whore trainee as that is just more of the same.)

Zelenskiy has some absolute bravado with this one. You don't need to know what he's saying to see that the first several seconds of this video are a demonstration of his resolve. And it's REALLY well produced! That cut is masterful camera work. 

• Like 1
  • Ukraine 1

9 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Zelenskiy has some absolute bravado with this one. You don't need to know what he's saying to see that the first several seconds of this video are a demonstration of his resolve. And it's REALLY well produced! That cut is masterful camera work. 

Are we sure Ze isn't Mexican, he looks like a Martinez to me.

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

By attaching a SIGINT monitoring device to junction points.

We did this all the time during Cold War 1.0

I pictured a pedo Russian submarine undressing the plastic around a Ethernet cable to see it's wires. 

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This conflict has illustrated two things very clearly to me:

(1) The age of the armored warfare is probably/definitely dead and buried due to light infantry carrying MANPATS.

(2) The age of helicopter-borne air assault warfare is probably/definitely dead and buried due to light infantry carrying MANPADS.

In essence, the light infantryman has essentially reclaimed their role as the primary battlefield element.

They still have a role but they are very situational and require lots of support.

On flat wide open hard ground where infantry can't hide and there is infantry/air/drone support they can move very quickly over the battlefield and provide lots of support firepower.

But they are very much niche otherwise and the military should be focusing on light fast moving vehicles, light artilery and drones.

I remember reading that the average time on the frontlines for a British officer during WWI was only a day or two before they were either killed or injured.  This was for junior officers, but it's still interesting to comprehend that officers are just as likely to get killed/injured as their enlisted counterparts if they are serving on the front lines.  It's quite interesting to hear about senior officers getting killed in the same way. 

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I haven't been paying as much attention, but I wouldn't have thought disarmament was a plausible outcome while Putin was in power. Reductions maybe, given the high cost of upkeep, but I wouldn't have expected Putin to give up his weapons.

I also don't think there's any chance that the US does as long as anyone else has nukes. Sure, polls like this show that people would rather there not be nuclear weapons, but if you asked people if we should give up our nukes before they've otherwise been eliminated and I'd guess the results would look quite different.

I guess it’s more of a “slamming the door shut and locking it” situation. I don’t think that as long as ultra nationalists are in control that there would be any meaningful reduction in arms after 2014

12 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Is this just some sort of indication that GLONASS sucks or is somehow not operating correctly? 

I don't know, but Russia is communicating on civilian equipment on unsecure channels on the ground and using dumb bombs to destroy SAM sites while using civilian GPS', and might not be able to effectively jam Ukrainian signals because they'd jam themselves using this equipment, something has gone horribly wrong in the Russian military.

Putin will change his attack to be on China for the disastrous chip shortage that have “ruined” his “state of art” weapons from working properly. Plus their shitty Michelin tire ripoffs for failing in the Ukrainian fields/roads

in all honesty on them gps systems they are using. Anyway they could be hacked to be turned off to throw their intended destination way off?