Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I imagine if Ukraine comes out of this intact that western money will come flooding in to help rebuild, hopefully a lot of that from seized Russian overseas assets. So there would be some irony if oligarch money was eventually used to make Russian soldiers desert.

I'm having trouble comprehending the end goal at this point for Russia. Almost the whole world condemns Russia. Their airlines have been hit with bans, banks/economy seemed fucked, technology manufacturers have cut off shipments...etc. Did Putin expect this to happen? If he would actually take Ukraine do all those sanctions stay in place forever? From my simple brain, it feels like he is crashing his own country into the ground and is Ukraine worth it? 

5 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I'm having trouble comprehending the end goal at this point for Russia. Almost the whole world condemns Russia. Their airlines have been hit with bans, banks/economy seemed fucked, technology manufacturers have cut off shipments...etc. Did Putin expect this to happen? If he would actually take Ukraine do all those sanctions stay in place forever? From my simple brain, it feels like he is crashing his own country into the ground and is Ukraine worth it? 

Something about old glories of the Empire 

6 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Putin is surrounded with yes men.  It's doubtful that anyone in his inner circle put up much resistance to this plan.  Because of Putin likely felt the pros vastly outweighed the cons. 

13 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

There is no end goal at this point, because he wanted a specific outcome that was immediately thwarted. All of the planning was predicated on that outcome. 

I’m no military strategist but I imagine the “ideal” plan was to swoop in, secure the capital, and install your weird puppet government in the first 24-48 hours and then lean back and tell the world to lick your Russian balls.  No prolonged fighting, no pleas on social media, no time for anyone to hem and haw about it.  If Russia had just swooped in and planted the flag in Kyiv I think a lot of the people pulling support now would have just shrugged and kept on with business as usual as the path of least resistance.  

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The recent conflict where Azerbaijan effectively humiliated Armenia using really only the TB-2s should've gotten everyone's attention.

There have been some questions about how Ukraine has been able to keep them in the air this whole time. Part of it comes down to the Russians not having an effective anti-drone system, but it's also speculated that the Turks are replacing them secretly if they are destroyed.

I do not see how the current Kremlin leadership remains intact when the average Russian has to deal with this kind of bullshit. I know Putin has consolidated a lot of power, but there have to be enough opportunists willing to capitalize that it becomes a matter of when, not if. 

16 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I do not see how the current Kremlin leadership remains intact when the average Russian has to deal with this kind of bullshit. I know Putin has consolidated a lot of power, but there have to be enough opportunists willing to capitalize that it becomes a matter of when, not if. 

This is why I always try to have a bit of cash on me whenever I go somewhere.  You never know when you'll need it.

19 minutes ago, Subzwari1987 said:

In the age of Square devices/Apple Pay/Google Pay/Tap Credit cards, there’s no excuse for Cash only events. 

Avoiding reporting income :p