I finally beat Bioshock Infinite last night.

stepee

It was ok. The ending was by far the most exciting/interesting to happen since the opening so that isn’t great. And then the ending was also kinda of exciting just because it reminded you of something it’s not which isn’t great either. I want a Bioshock 4 back in rapture.

I haven't played Infinite since it first released, but the game blew me away at the time. Unique setting and lore, lots of different areas, plot goes fucking crazy later on, etc. I dug it. But I also see why it's divisive. But the ending was so good. Better than BioShock 1? Not sure, probably not quite. I haven't played Bioshock 2, but I plan to at some point.

Infinite's politics and gameplay were not the most well executed, but also it's a game that changed so much from original concept, who knows how much better or worse it was going to be. That ending IS bonkers though, with almost Chris Nolan-levels of mind fuckery.  

Relevant: In an interview with Mark Cerny Levine mentions irrational/ghost story's upcoming game a bit and there's an implication it'll be the weirdest thing they've made so far. It sounds like it'll have an unprecedented amount of emergent gameplay systems with how you interact with the characters and environment

As for Bioshock 4, I hope it's set in rapture again and features more of an open world, which might be a possibility.  

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The first one is fine but that whole middle part is a slog.

I completely agree. The first half of the first one was a masterpiece imo then near halfway through it bogged down and lost it's focus. Still, a very memorable game. 

On 4/9/2021 at 11:22 AM, Bacon said:

BioShock Infinite is the only Bioshock I have ever beaten.

I owned Bioshock 1 two times on the 360 but never beat it.

I also have only ever beaten Infinite, which I enjoyed. Maybe I'll give the collection a spin next time its on sale.

I liked Infinite best because it played best. But it still didn't play great. Bioshock 1 and 2 have that "we're not really good at making video games that are fun to play" feel. Same thing that Bethesda has with all their games. Just unresponsive enemies with health bars you drain over time that don't really flinch or react much, weapons and powers that lack a punch from both an audio and visual perspective, which when combined with the enemies' responsiveness just makes it all feel like a cheap knockoff of a better game.

Because you spend so much time in these games fighting, it's not some minor thing. You spend a helluva lot more time fighting than engaging in the actual story, so problems like this I find to be unacceptable. I don't know how we still have studios that seem to put gameplay last in terms of R&D (unlike, say, Nintendo, who on their better games tend to make the game fun to move around in first and foremost) but still pack the game to the gills with fighting.

Loved infinite. At the time it was pretty universally loved as well and then I felt like many people bailed when some of the problematic themes were pointed out to them lol. Which are totally valid criticisms but I felt like many people jumped on the bandwagon like “oh boy infinite wow we all know and always knew that had some doozies didn’t we?” when in reality the first time around they thought it was dope as hell. 

Anyway, I think 1 and infinite are a tad overrated (though I love them both) and 2 is underrated. 

15 hours ago, Chris- said:

I also have only ever beaten Infinite, which I enjoyed. Maybe I'll give the collection a spin next time its on sale.

I mean, I also own 1 on PC, and have attempted to beat it a few times and I just lose all desire to play it pretty quickly. There is a part where you need to grab a camera and take of picture of a splicer and it is usually around there where I just don't want to continue. The farthest I've ever made it is Arcadia or just a bit after that. Something about the game just makes me not want to play it. I can't exactly say what it is, but even watching a video of the game I am like, yeah, whatever "this" is, this is why I don't want to play the game. Part of it is level design and combat encounter design.

Maybe Xbob said it best with 

14 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Bioshock 1 and 2 have that "we're not really good at making video games that are fun to play" feel. Same thing that Bethesda has with all their games.

Lile BioShock gives me the feeling of trying to replay Skyrim or Fallout. Something about trying to replay those games just sucks. 

Bioshock relies completely on atmosphere and style to get by. It’s got those in spades so it ends up getting by easily, but there’s an awful lot of stuff set up that ultimately doesn’t matter. Splice or don’t splice, it doesn’t matter, who cares! You become a Big Daddy, something the game says is irreversible... the ending ignores this completely, who cares! The weapon balance is bad and you play a lot of Pipe Dream. The game’s presentation is legitimately awesome, though.

Bioshock 2 is much better from a gameplay POV, and @Commissar SFLUFAN is correct that Minerva’s Den is the best in the series. The story is... fine, it suffers from making some of the iconic stuff in the first one a bit of an afterthought.

Bioshock Infinite... man. There are a few arenas where you really get to cut loose and use all the combat system has to offer, but there are not nearly enough of them and they show up too late in the game. The DLC connects really nicely to the original games, but man, the theme is just so badly realized and the original ending of the game makes little to no sense. It’s a weird fucking game.

I vastly prefer Infinite to the first. The combat in the first wasn't as satisfying and the I felt like the world they were trying to make was undermined by virtually never interacting with someone directly that wasn't a zombie deadset on killing you. You basically just get people yelling at you over the radio or occasionally you see someone through a really thick layer of glass.

Infinite benefited so much just by having Elizabeth be with you most of the time and giving you real interactions even beyond that.