In protest of Jim Crow 2.0, the MLB is moving the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta

I get pulling events or business over bills that directly affect your employees, like LGBT rights restrictions. This just seems like credibility seeking.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Good. Get sports and film / movie production our of Georgia until they get their fucking shit together.

We just saved the country. The vast majority of people in those industries, outside of team ownership, lean heavily the other way. I don't give a shit about the all-star game, but taking income away from people that didn't vote for this shit is misplaced. It does nothing more than fuel the right-wing persecution complex.  

4 minutes ago, Iculus said:

We just saved the country. The vast majority of people in those industries, outside of team ownership, lean heavily the other way. I don't give a shit about the all-star game, but taking income away from people that didn't vote for this shit is misplaced. It does nothing more than fuel the right-wing persecution complex.  

Everything fuels the right wing persecution complex. I care way more about voting rights long term than I do about short term economic pain even though I acknowledge it’s absolutely shitty for people.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Everything fuels the right wing persecution complex. I care way more about voting rights long term than I do about short term economic pain even though I acknowledge it’s absolutely shitty for people.

Then focus on Coke, Home-Depot, and Delta.

11 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Then focus on Coke, Home-Depot, and Delta.

Delta CEO had supported all the bullshit until it was leaked he did and then reversed...GOP in turn just repealed a gas tax or something Delta was getting to "punish" them.  Again the GOP doesnt give a fuck and will hurt anybody no matter what it does to the state.

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is correct. Nothing should ever been done to avoid fueling right-wing anger. Everything sends these people into outrage mode. These were the same people that were up in arms because Biden was said he was happy we might be able to return to normal by the 4th of July.

Also let’s be clear that voters in Georgia just did great work and all of this shit is the GOP trying to punish fuck them as revenge and to ensure it never happens again. The right wing propaganda machine doesn’t give a fuck about anything aside from rigging the game in their favor. Trump needed to have reminders written in big fat sharpie that he didn’t commit crimes and now Fox is out there implying that Biden is an invalid for needing a teleprompter. They will contort themselves into any position if it allows them to nail themselves to the world’s most shoddily constructed crosses. It just doesn’t fucking matter. Congressional approval ratings don’t matter.

The answer to all of these questions is money.

So to Georgia I say sincere thank you for delivering two Democratic Senators and sorry that I hope all of these locally based businesses get shamed and financially compelled to do something to protect voting rights. It’s absolutely not fucking fair, but what the fuck else are you going to do when one party is just out there rewriting the rule book after people started the game.

The people who are going to get very performatively upset over this were already getting performatively upset over anthem protests & having to watch minute-long vignettes about Black Lives Matter before games start. Just yesterday I saw some National Review guy attribute the continued decline in sports ratings to "inserting politics into the game." So I imagine this was ultimately just a risk-reward calculation where they decided the people who'd get mad were already mad, while meanwhile it's easy enough to be sure that most of the country does not actually support shit like, "don't give out snacks in voting lines." Definitely not people in the age demographics that matter a lot for ad dollar purposes.

1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

The people who are going to get very performatively upset over this were already getting performatively upset over anthem protests & having to watch minute-long vignettes about Black Lives Matter before games start. Just yesterday I saw some National Review guy attribute the continued decline in sports ratings to "inserting politics into the game." So I imagine this was ultimately just a risk-reward calculation where they decided the people who'd get mad were already mad, while meanwhile it's easy enough to be sure that most of the country does not actually support shit like, "don't give out snacks in voting lines." Definitely not people in the age demographics that matter a lot for ad dollar purposes.

And the people they want to not make mad, the 18-55 demo, are likely to support this move

4 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

This, exactly.

Let’s talk about how we’ve been talking about Kaepernick for YEARS now despite the entire controversy being completely manufactured nonsense.

”KEEP POLITICS OUT OF SPORTS,” now stand for the anthem, watch a bunch of fighter jets buzz the stadium to the tune of several million dollars, and check out a bunch of Marines folding the flag. Meanwhile during all of this I can walk up to the concourse and buy beer or merch while the anthem is playing, so these leagues don’t give enough of a shit about “the flag” to prevent me from buying a $9 beer for two goddamn minutes.

So if doing this is a performance art piece designed to protect voting rights? Let’s watch the fucking show. I don’t care.

28 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

Delta CEO had supported all the bullshit until it was leaked he did and then reversed...GOP in turn just repealed a gas tax or something Delta was getting to "punish" them.  Again the GOP doesnt give a fuck and will hurt anybody no matter what it does to the state.

The tax benefit Delta is getting wound up not being repealed.

I'm not saying I think this shouldn't happen, but the problem with these state boycotts in response to shitty laws is that a lot of the financial impact winds up falling on people who oppose the shitty laws, decreasing their ability to help get the shitty laws repealed.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

The tax benefit Delta is getting wound up not being repealed.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

It wasn’t repealed? Didn’t see that anywhere.

the last i saw is the state house passed it but still needed the state senate i think?  didnt know that happened or not 

Just now, Jason said:

I'm not saying I think this shouldn't happen, but the problem with these state boycotts in response to shitty laws is that a lot of the financial impact winds up falling on people who oppose the shitty laws, decreasing their ability to help get the shitty laws repealed.

This was the point I was trying to make. Going after film production isn't going to move the needle on the right. It's just going to further fuck over people that already had their teeth kicked in during the pandemic. 

18 minutes ago, Joe said:

It wasn’t repealed? Didn’t see that anywhere.

14 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

the last i saw is the state house passed it but still needed the state senate i think?  didnt know that happened or not 

The state Senate adjourned for the year without passing it.

1 minute ago, Iculus said:

This was the point I was trying to make. Going after film production isn't going to move the needle on the right. It's just going to further fuck over people that already had their teeth kicked in during the pandemic. 

Which is why it’s just credibility seeking on the part of the MLB. It’s also a great way to overturn the political gains the Dems have made in the state as industry that brings in an outsized percentage of likely dem voters get pushed out, who wins?

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, this guy's an idiot...but I wouldn't be mad if they did strip the MLB's protection! Sports leagues (privately run!) shouldn't have protected monopolies.

If the MLB had is ridiculous protections stripped I would feel so terribly owned.

35 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, this guy's an idiot...but I wouldn't be mad if they did strip the MLB's protection! Sports leagues (privately run!) shouldn't have protected monopolies.

I'd like a pyramid.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Folks if you want to read a terrible, terrible scotus opinion, read Flood v. Kuhn. The first four pages are about the "history" of baseball