In protest of Jim Crow 2.0, the MLB is moving the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta

I guess the holding two opposing positions all the time is just weird because they can’t write in the part that’s supposed to talk about how one position is for white people and the other poc.

I think in a way they aren’t as big of hypocrites as they seem, it’s just they have two separate positions on a lot of topics separated by race. So it’s not really as bad as it seems all the time in regards to not being able to hold non competing positions on topics.

There is something unintentionally funny about protesting racist laws by taking an event away from a majority black city and giving it to a majority white city.

Like they might have a race baiting point to stand on if they didn't just move to the nicer, newer stadium to be closer to the """fans""" and away from Atlanta proper which is from what I can tell is virtually inaccessible by public transit, metro and bus included, something that is used disproportionately by Black residents.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
census-logo-fb1.png
WWW.CENSUS.GOV

Frequently requested statistics for: Atlanta city, Georgia

Ahhh, city of Atlanta is the 51%. I knew that number from some market research I did last year.

city of Denver is 75% white!

Only if you count all Hispanic or Latino whites as white. Otherwise it's ~55% non Hispanic white. But they didn't move the game from atlanta, but Cobb county which is ~51% non Hispanic white.

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Like they might have a race baiting point to stand on if they didn't just move to the nicer, newer stadium to be closer to the """fans""" and away from Atlanta proper which is from what I can tell is virtually inaccessible by public transit, metro and bus included, something that is used disproportionately by Black residents.

In regards to the event, the location of the stadium is largely irrelevant to the economic impact to local businesses. For example, the super bowl was played at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara a few years ago, but most of the activity surrounding super bowl week happened in San Fransisco proper. Same thing would happen with all star weekend for Atlanta. Nobody is going to be hanging out in the area around the stadium.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

But they didn't move the game from atlanta, but Cobb county which is ~51% non Hispanic white.

See above. This is a faulty way to look at the economic impact.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Financial estimates around stadiums are always the best. "If the city and state invest $500 million into this $505 million stadium, the local area will see an increase in economic activity of over $27 billion in the next three years!"

Public funding of stadiums is a great grift. Amazing they keep getting away with it.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Public funding of stadiums is a great grift. Amazing they keep getting away with it.

They make for great photo ops for local politicians while giving city councils a chance to rub elbows with some famous athletes. Also, for folks that don't pay attention it sounds like it makes sense in the surface and nobody in the press ever calls these guys out as bold face liars. I mean, CNN just ran with the $100 million economic impact without thinking twice about it because they're lazy fucks.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

In regards to the event, the location of the stadium is largely irrelevant to the economic impact to local businesses. For example, the super bowl was played at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara a few years ago, but most of the activity surrounding super bowl week happened in San Fransisco proper. Same thing would happen with all star weekend for Atlanta. Nobody is going to be hanging out in the area around the stadium.

See above. This is a faulty way to look at the economic impact.

There's actually more around the braves stadium, a small suburban entertainment district that's fairly accommodating to tourists, to do than there is around levis stadium, a large sea of parking (and also okish transit into SF proper) so it's not a one to one comparison

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And most of them wouldn't be able to afford to go to an All Star game.

Sure, but the economic impact to local residents isn’t about going to the game. It’s all the out of town money coming in and spending at restaurants, hotels, entertainment complexes, taking ubers, etc. A lotta black business owners are going to lose out on a major windfall because the event has been pulled. 

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sure, but the economic impact to local residents isn’t about going to the game. It’s all the out of town money coming in and spending at restaurants, hotels, entertainment complexes, taking ubers, etc. A lotta black business owners are going to lose out on a major windfall because the event has been pulled. 

Because out of town white visitors are driving into scurry black urban Atlanta to get some local food? 

My solution to sports stadiums:

Cities/states/provinces pay for the field itself (the turf + nets/goalposts, etc) and an area for people to stand on the sides. Private interests can then add any seating/stands they want and charge for admission to those for any events they hold. Otherwise, the public can use and book the field as they want (for community leagues, etc). There is a definite public benefit to having lots of sports fields to have community leagues in...but not much public benefit to having 50,000+ person stadiums.

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My solution to sports stadiums:

Cities/states/provinces pay for the field itself (the turf + nets/goalposts, etc) and an area for people to stand on the sides. Private interests can then add any seating/stands they want and charge for admission to those for any events they hold. Otherwise, the public can use and book the field as they want (for community leagues, etc). There is a definite public benefit to having lots of sports fields to have community leagues in...but not much public benefit to having 50,000+ person stadiums.

Or just make these billion dollar+ valued franchises build their own revenue generating facilities, while munis build public accommodations that suit the local needs. No need to complicate it!

47 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Great idea! Let’s also make sure that only people with deep ties to the country are allowed to vote so in order to vote you have to provide a birth certificate of a family member born in America before the year 1850. That way we only have the people who really love this country voting!

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Because out of town white visitors are driving into scurry black urban Atlanta to get some local food? 

Exactly.

I live in Philly and work in the burbs. The suburbanites that know I live in the city treat me like I live in John Carpenter’s New York.

”Oh my god, isn’t it scary down there?”

“Oh yeah, I’m so worried my dog is gonna hump another dog.”

• Haha 1