In protest of Jim Crow 2.0, the MLB is moving the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta

59 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

What should have been done then?

15 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

blah blah blah something stupid. They moved closer to the people (of all racial backgrounds) that actually attend games. It is just OTP enough to make it more accessible to the entire metro area. I live 3 miles from Turner field and would rather commute to Truist Park for literally anything.

24 minutes ago, Iculus said:

blah blah blah something stupid. They moved closer to the people (of all racial backgrounds) that actually attend games. It is just OTP enough to make it more accessible to the entire metro area. I live 3 miles from Turner field and would rather commute to Truist Park for literally anything.

I took a look and saw exactly what I expected.

image.png

image.png

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Today, Major League Baseball caved to fear, 

:rofl: Fucking literally laughing out loud at that line. Not sure why, like, it's like they are addressing a Mr. MLB and I find that funny. 

11 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Warnock has a good criticism. 

The entities pulling out of the state should be funding these causes that fight what they've already acted against.

Putting money where their mouth is instead of issuing an otherwise useless statement? Not in my country!

14 hours ago, Jason said:

The colorful lines on the map are MARTA.

Yeah, there's very little functional transit in Georgia. 

14 hours ago, Chris- said:

Pittsburgh is apparently making a play for the game, which would be fun since I live a block away from PNC Park and will be inoculated shortly. Party time!

It should go to Milwaukee in honor of Hank Aaron.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This was my gut reaction to the law, not surprised to see this analysis

While true...they should still be fought against by any means necessary. Sure, turnout might not drop, and people will wait in 8-hour lines to vote because it matters. But No one in a western nation should have to wait more than 10 minutes in line to vote.

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

While true...they should still be fought against by any means necessary. Sure, turnout might not drop, and people will wait in 8-hour lines to vote because it matters. But No one in a western nation should have to wait more than 10 minutes in line to vote.

People shouldn’t wait in long lines, but that’s part of the point. Making it easier and more convenient to vote doesn’t actually change anything. This law adds another Saturday during early voting and you won’t see a surge in participation even though people will have another weekend day to go vote. The changes to the law are very unlikely to affect wait times, especially the crazy long waits that happen which are most often due to our crappy voting equipment which nobody seems in any hurry to fix.

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Biden won the state by 10k votes 

And this matters why? The point of the article is specifically about the turnout issue and how convenience voting measures don’t change turnout.

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

People shouldn’t wait in long lines, but that’s part of the point. Making it easier and more convenient to vote doesn’t actually change anything. This law adds another Saturday during early voting and you won’t see a surge in participation even though people will have another weekend day to go vote. The changes to the law are very unlikely to affect wait times, especially the crazy long waits that happen which are most often due to our crappy voting equipment which nobody seems in any hurry to fix.

And this matters why? The point of the article is specifically about the turnout issue and how convenience voting measures don’t change turnout.

You really think stuff like the strict new ID requirements and the elimination of dropboxes will have NO impact on turnout? Watch Georgia pull an Alabama and shut down DMVs in black areas.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

You really think stuff like the strict new ID requirements and the elimination of dropboxes will have NO impact on turnout? Watch Georgia pull an Alabama and shut down DMVs in black areas.

There is no data to back up that these things affect turnout. For example on the issue of strict voter ID laws: 

GettyImages_1058207396.jpg
WWW.VOX.COM

The laws don’t seem to do what critics fear or proponents hope.

So, yeah, I don’t think these things affect voter turnout because there is only gut feelings that they do.

And for those who didn’t bother to read the article, there are other issues with the law besides whether it affects turnout or not and it’s certainly undemocratic. It is mostly just amusing that the GOP isn’t even good at voter suppression :p