In protest of Jim Crow 2.0, the MLB is moving the 2021 All-Star Game out of Atlanta

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A winning margin of ~0.2% can hide in any number of variables and just because in the past things have worked out doesn't mean they will continue to do so. So we don't need to handwaive away the impact that these things are designed to do

Pointing out that something doesn’t actually work for the desired affect isn’t handwaiving, it’s pointing out that it doesn’t work. But some people care more about intent than actual effects!

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I disagree, but that is more a philosophical issue. 

The intent to make a bad faith effort to attempt to restrict the franchise based on a complete lie is important. Especially so since the white party in a historically discriminatory state is making these moves right after Black and Latino voters voted in numbers that caused the white party to lose multiple elections. 

If you don't think the intent here is important then I dunno man.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The intent to make a bad faith effort to attempt to restrict the franchise based on a complete lie is important. Especially so since the white party in a historically discriminatory state is making these moves right after Black and Latino voters voted in numbers that caused the white party to lose multiple elections. 

If you don't think the intent here is important then I dunno man.

Also if all of this bullshit really doesn't affect turnout much, then I'd assume it means that it's because the minority voters are sticking it out through the ever-increasing bullshit to get their votes in. So regardless of the turnout effect, people are still being meaningfully harmed. And as you noted the margins on the presidential and Senate runoff races were super tight so yeah, maybe this stuff only suppresses votes at the margins...but that's all that they need to do to swing things back from D to R.

I think a law designed to do nothing more than make it difficult to vote for people who vote against the party in power is fair to describe as suppression, even if people overcome those difficulties. 

The goal is to choose the electorate. The methods are making it difficult to vote. It does make it difficult to vote, for people who vote against Republicans.  Saying that it "doesn't work" just because it may not meet the goal elides the reality. Especially because it allows for further suppression.

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

This is one of those times where the intent of the bill is more outrageous than its actual impact.

Right. Even if there's a 0.0% change in 2024 turnout in GA, it will have solidified in some people's minds that some sort of fraud occurred in 2020 that they had to respond to, which increases the chances of another January 6th type incident in the near future.

Your occasional reminder that national Democrats really fucked screwed the pooch by ignoring statehouse elections in 2020.

FT_21.02.18_Redistricting_feature.png?w=
WWW.PEWRESEARCH.ORG

When legislatures get the data to draw new congressional maps, Republicans will drive that process in 20 states, versus 11 for Democrats.

Hopefully blue state redistricting offsets the red state fuckery.

Abbott is trying so hard to get his culture warrior credit back after people were mad about his early handling of the pandemic and the freeze more recently. A real bozo.

7 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Things are going well in Texas.

What is funny is they are placing no cap limits on opening day but will do reduced capacity for the rest of April and into May. So you can have ONE super spreader event, but no more than that!

8 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

My team's (Mariners) stadium looks the same before COVID, during COVID, and is looking the same after COVID. Nowhere near that crowded.

When they announced that it reopened with 25% capacity, I thought to myself, "isn't it always at 25% capacity?"

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

When they announced that it reopened with 25% capacity, I thought to myself, "isn't it always at 25% capacity?"

But now can say they had X number of sellouts this season! They are probably begging Inslee to keep the cap at 25% 😂