~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

On 5/2/2023 at 5:51 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I haven't seen anyone in the media say it was more dangerous than other rifles and that's certainly not what I was saying here. I was explaining why it was so deadly and why it was so concerning compared to handguns.  That's it. Bottom line is it doesn't belong in the hands of untrained civilians.

The left needs to remember the shit show that was the 90s assault weapon ban, it just created a market for loopholes that were objectively stupid. Stupid gun laws fuel the NRA and the right. The legal difference between an AR-15, AR-15 pistol, and an AR-15 SBR is literally just barrel length and if it has a stock or not. Exact same gun, 3 very different regulator standards. In my opinion the left should just focus on making magazines over X capability an NFA item like suppressors, SBRs, and full autos. That's it, keep it simple. Don't get into the weeds of this or that gun. 

There are a ton of stupid gun laws on the books that could be traded away in exchange for NFAing magazines over X, assuming you can make that kind of a deal with the GOP. 

On 5/2/2023 at 6:02 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Are we now at the point where people are bragging about how they'd love to shoot someone ringing on the wrong doorbell?

The guy made a follow up post later that was even more fucked up. It turned out to be a little girl looking for her cat, and he wrote two separate times in the same post something like, "I was so mad that I just wanted to yank her by the hair", which adds a whole other dimension of weird to the whole thing.

8 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

The guy made a follow up post later that was even more fucked up. It turned out to be a little girl looking for her cat, and he wrote two separate times in the same post something like, "I was so mad that I just wanted to yank her by the hair", which adds a whole other dimension of weird to the whole thing.

He wasn't so mad he wanted to yank her hair. According to his own story, he told a six year old that he was going to yank her nasty hair and left her crying. I can't help but hear the racial slant from an adult calling a little six year old girl's hair nasty.

There is a huge problem in general in that people don't trust their neighbors. That ties into all kinds of shit from redlining to car-centric infrastructure that isolates everybody, to parents never letting their kids leave the house unsupervised because of both of the above reasons...

Honestly come join us on the "keep cars out of cities" thread and I won't sound like a crazy person after a while.

Seriously watch like 3 videos from Not Just Bikes and you'll begin to realize how a lot of this bullshit is connected. We need to build communities where we're forced to interact with other people again. When you live in an isolated box, it becomes easy to assume everyone else is out to kill you. Most Americans and Canadians go from their isolated box that is home, to their isolated box that is work, transported in their isolated box that is their car. After doing that for a while, of course it feels like everyone is out to get you. You've lost the human connection.

I kinda think Ring doorbells have been a net negative for society too. Republicans in Illinois were running an ad last fall that was just a voiceover put over somebody's Ring doorbell footage of a guy getting beaten up in the street outside. And it's like... yeah, that sucks, but presumably this is a thing that has happened outside of people's houses from time to time throughout human history and it's only now that your doorbell starts automatically filming it.

If someone rang my doorbell in the middle of the night, I would certainly be wary, but I wouldn't be afraid for my life. If someone rang my doorbell in the middle of the day...I would just answer it (or more likely, look through a window, see it's a door-to-door salesperson, and ignore it). I don't understand the terror that people live with.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

If someone rang my doorbell in the middle of the night, I would certainly be wary, but I wouldn't be afraid for my life. If someone rang my doorbell in the middle of the day...I would just answer it (or more likely, look through a window, see it's a door-to-door salesperson, and ignore it). I don't understand the terror that people live with.

You’re in canada. Also, I love all my neighbors surrounding me. Different world

• True 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
GettyImages-1367873972-e1683051689932.jp
FORTUNE.COM

The Stanford Brainstorm Lab focuses on technology and mental health. They spent months looking for any causal link between video games and...

Didn't we already establish this back in the 90s?

There is plenty of evidence that violent media is strongly correlated with heightened “aggression”, but much like the connections between spanking and aggressive attitudes, it is much more difficult to draw causal links to actions.

It is very easy to confuse the two things, intentionally or not. I tend to think from my own conversations with people that it is usually unintentional as they can’t understand why something could be correlated but ultimately completely unconnected.

21 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

The left needs to remember the shit show that was the 90s assault weapon ban, it just created a market for loopholes that were objectively stupid. Stupid gun laws fuel the NRA and the right. The legal difference between an AR-15, AR-15 pistol, and an AR-15 SBR is literally just barrel length and if it has a stock or not. Exact same gun, 3 very different regulator standards. In my opinion the left should just focus on making magazines over X capability an NFA item like suppressors, SBRs, and full autos. That's it, keep it simple. Don't get into the weeds of this or that gun. 

There are a ton of stupid gun laws on the books that could be traded away in exchange for NFAing magazines over X, assuming you can make that kind of a deal with the GOP. 

hard to make high capacity mags NFA when there are already literal millions of them everywhere. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

hard to make high capacity mags NFA when there are already literal millions of them everywhere. 

Existing ones sure, but if you NFA new ones the existing supply goes up in value beyond what most people will pay/sell.

13 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Existing ones sure, but if you NFA new ones the existing supply goes up in value beyond what most people will pay/sell.

My reply got eaten up by the internet tubes, but exactly right.

Look at the change in prices on ammo and how that has impacted what people buy. A person I know that owns a gun range and store has shut the range and expanded the store because gun sales are up, but people coming in and shooting their guns has dropped off significantly with rising ammo prices.

Manipulating market forces are one of the few ways the government could decrease gun violence, and they absolutely should because it is the most difficult thing for courts to block.

23 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

There is a huge problem in general in that people don't trust their neighbors. That ties into all kinds of shit from redlining to car-centric infrastructure that isolates everybody, to parents never letting their kids leave the house unsupervised because of both of the above reasons...

Honestly come join us on the "keep cars out of cities" thread and I won't sound like a crazy person after a while.

Seriously watch like 3 videos from Not Just Bikes and you'll begin to realize how a lot of this bullshit is connected. We need to build communities where we're forced to interact with other people again. When you live in an isolated box, it becomes easy to assume everyone else is out to kill you. Most Americans and Canadians go from their isolated box that is home, to their isolated box that is work, transported in their isolated box that is their car. After doing that for a while, of course it feels like everyone is out to get you. You've lost the human connection.

This is the core issue here. I don't understand how these people live in so much fear. Where do these people live that their first response is to open fire.

My half brother was killed a few years back. Went to open the door and the perp opened fire. I still don't feel particularly in danger living in my city or going to Buffalo. I don't understand this level of fear. 

I can see how our isolation causes that and the increased isolation brought on by the pandemic has pushed multiple people over the edge. 

17 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

This is the core issue here. I don't understand how these people live in so much fear. Where do these people live that their first response is to open fire.

My half brother was killed a few years back. Went to open the door and the perp opened fire. I still don't feel particularly in danger living in my city or going to Buffalo. I don't understand this level of fear. 

I can see how our isolation causes that and the increased isolation brought on by the pandemic has pushed multiple people over the edge. 

You are still many magnitudes more likely to die in your morning commute than because of a serial killer coming to your house. Like, those two scenarios aren't even in the same area code. 

And yet people are quick to want wider, faster car lanes that increase the danger of your morning commute but are okay with lax gun laws which ironically make both previously mentioned methods of death more likely.

I had some other points but I don't want to write a thesis.

17 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Not really, I don’t think you realize how many there are. And I want to be clear, I’m not against making them NFA, I just don’t know it helps.

I have a dozen 30 round mags, some of them are as much as 24 years old, and still function perfectly, so it’s not like the supply is going to break and eventually dwindle/become unusable. I know people with stacks of them, especially range shooters. Sometimes you can go into gun stores and pick them up out of barrels for a few bucks each. the worst that can happen is springs break, and they can be replaced with a hundred different aftermarket ones that aren’t specific to gun magazines. There are so many of these out there compared to any other cartridge for any other weapon. Even if the price goes up, supply is so high it will not go up that much. 

I would ban anyone under 25 from owning any semi automatic rifles with detachable magazines. It seems the majority(yes, I know its not all) of these shooters are young, and that could definitely add some prevention.

Also, Storage laws. If your weapon is stolen and used in a crime, and the weapon wasn’t locked up when it was stolen, you should be charged as an accessory to the crime. I’m a firm believer that safe storage helps. My gun case is big, heavy, and unless you’re a safe cracker you aren’t getting in, and my bullpup 12 guage for home defence (home defence here is mostly against bears, not people) is locked in a separate wall safe in the bedroom that requires my finger print. At no time should anyone in your home be able to just pick up a gun. 

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

You are still many magnitudes more likely to die in your morning commute than because of a serial killer coming to your house. Like, those two scenarios aren't even in the same area code. 

And yet people are quick to want wider, faster car lanes that increase the danger of your morning commute but are okay with lax gun laws which ironically make both previously mentioned methods of death more likely.

I had some other points but I don't want to write a thesis.

I mean, of course people want wider lanes. I do get that a small percentage of the left hates cars, but most of America doesn’t, and we are never going to get rid of them. Theres no public or political will to do it, its not a popular policy with voters in either party.

Its like people complaining about single family homes. You can choose not to have one, but it’s always going to be most people’s ultimate goal in life. Nobody dreams of growing up to live like ants in a high rise apartment building.  No amount of activism by the left is going to change that. Especially when most middle class families only form of wealth is their home and property. That doesn’t mean I don’t think we should not build high rises, more housing is needed everywhere, I just always chuckle when I see people talking about banning single family homes and the like. (Though I see it less than people wanting to ban cars).

I’m just glad I’ll never have to live in a city. Can’t imagine anything I’d hate more than a world of concrete and pave, but I’d never tell others they shouldn’t. It’s the same with cars, if you hate them it’s fine, hate them, but we aren’t letting them go because we enjoy them. It’s a losing political issue. 

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, of course people want wider lanes. I do get that a small percentage of the left hates cars, but most of America doesn’t, and we are never going to get rid of them. Theres no public or political will to do it, its not a popular policy with voters in either party.

Its like people complaining about single family homes. You can choose not to have one, but it’s always going to be most people’s ultimate goal in life. Nobody dreams of growing up to live like ants in a high rise apartment building.  No amount of activism by the left is going to change that. Especially when most middle class families only form of wealth is their home and property. That doesn’t mean I don’t think we should not build high rises, more housing is needed everywhere, I just always chuckle when I see people talking about banning single family homes and the like. (Though I see it less than people wanting to ban cars).

I’m just glad I’ll never have to live in a city. Can’t imagine anything I’d hate more than a world of concrete and pave, but I’d never tell others they shouldn’t. It’s the same with cars, if you hate them it’s fine, hate them, but we aren’t letting them go because we enjoy them. It’s a losing political issue. 

No one wants to ban single family homes. The problem is, in the vast majority of North America, it's literally illegal to build anything other than single family homes. And then any time higher density housing is actually approved it takes like 10 years to get through so much legal shit that it ends up being luxury condos because that's the only way the developers can make their money back.

• Halal 1

Expect another news story out of Allen, Texas (outlet mall). Just drove near there and tons of police/SWAT activity. 

all I can say is that today I rolled “not shot at a mass shooting event,” maybe tomorrow is different. 

• Sad 2
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

17 minutes ago, Comet said:

At least one child was killed in this. I just don’t know what to do. I was driving with my son when we passed right by there. Could have been us so easily. 

I wish I had something comforting to say, but I have nothing to offer other than "God damn America".

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I wish I had something comforting to say, but I have nothing to offer other than "God damn America".

Before I used to just repeat the wise words of Lieutenant Speirs about accepting that you’re already dead - but it’s different with kids. It sucks. 

• Hugs 1

I recently moved to a large city and had lunch today at a popular outdoor spot with a lot of people, I couldn't help but think this great and fun place, wasn't safe. I know the odds are tiny, but it's something that was just there in my mind.