Sorry, millennials. The ๐Ÿ˜‚ emoji isn't cool anymore

ย 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/14/tech/crying-laughing-emoji-gen-z/index.htmlย 

In recent weeks, two internet-savvy generations have been clashing in videos and comments on TikTok over the hallmarks of millennial culture that are now deemed uncool by Gen Z. The list includes skinny jeans (Gen Z verdict:ย set them on fire), side parts (Gen Z verdict: middle part or bust) and perhaps most painful of all, the popular laughing crying emoji that some millennials, myself included, use hundreds of times a day, or more.

"What's wrong with the laughing emoji[?]," one user asked in a TikTok comment. Another responded: "it's so off." On a different video of a woman saying she's cut back on using it after learning kids don't, one teen commented: "As a 15 year old I say you should use that emoji bc [because] we sure aren't going to."

"I use everything but the laughing emoji," 21-year-old Walid Mohammed told CNN Business. "I stopped using it a while back because I saw older people using it, like my mom, my older siblings and just older people in general."

ย 

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The millennial nomenclature was unfairly applied to '80s kids when it's actually the '90s kids who popularized all the stereotypes.

I mean i wasn't really an 80s kid as i was 6 in 1990, so the vast majority of what i remember is from then on, but i suppose it was definitely the younger ones wearing them.

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I'm fine with skinny jeans disappearing...but what about slim? Well-fitting clothing usually is never out of style (even when skinny or baggy clothes are popular), so I hope I can continue to wear slim-cut pants.

Slim-cut black jeans with a side of dress pants is basically all I've worn for the last 20 years.ย 

ย 

Regarding the article, young people of any generation always think they're living the plot of Logan's Run, I did the same...who cares. Let them have their petty stuff before real life hits.ย ย 

Sometimes teens and twenty-somethings use emoji -- like the laughing crying one -- ironically, such as by sending six or seven of them in a row to friends, to exaggerate it. But, overall, that emoji is a no-go.
ย 
"For Gen Z, it's like the same thing as having an Android," said Mohammed.

ย 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

ย 

Real millennials don't even understand the difference.ย 

ย 

Emoji are the inferior version because they render differently on different devices and platforms so you have no idea what the recipient is actually going to see when you send one.ย 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

I mean i wasn't really an 80s kid as i was 6 in 1990, so the vast majority of what i remember is from then on, but i suppose it was definitely the younger ones wearing them.

ย 

I mean it's the same for me. We're the same age, I just mean being born in the '80s (if you were born in the '90s then you really only remember 00s)

And there certainly were some crossover things like Teddy Ruxpin, Mighty Mouse, or Care Bears and such that someone our age would really only remember.

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

ย 

Not sure if a joke. Those are Yahoo emoticons.

ย 

18 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They were used on IGN too. Or I thought they were. This shit happened years ago idk

ย 

Doesn't matter where they originated; they really are great. I wish there were higher quality versions.

ย 

This is just the GOAT. :]ย