Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Don't get me wrong, I would love a populist, left, truly progressive candidate. But the argument that if we aren't lucky enough to get one then fuck the election Trump can win who cares then? That makes no sense.

It's more laziness than actively deciding to stay home and not vote (or vote Trump out of spite). If it's not someone they buy into, they won't show up. 2008 and 2012 were about inspiration, this election is not that. AOC is popular because she's got an slightly pissed off "look at this bullshit" streak to her. That's what it's going to take to get progressives to show up. 

7 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Why aren't other progressives in Congress getting the same attention she gets. 

I think it's a combination of her getting a lot of vitriol from the right and therefore is more visible, and her being REALLY GOOD at twitter and instagram. 

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

[constantly bemoans the idea of tact and respect in political discourse]

[complains about vote shaming]

You are missing the point again which is understandable because you don’t care about issues and only care about Democrats beating Republicans.  

People aren’t going to bother to vote when both candidates offer nothing.  Running candidates that actually offer something to non-elites would solve most of the problem for Democrats but they prefer to run corporate candidates instead.  

Rather than giving people a reason to vote liberals prefer to scold people for not voting for their lackluster candidates.  Vote shaming is an ineffective approach because it doesn’t address the actual problem for Democrats. 

The primary if Biden decides to run is going to be between Biden and who gets their name recognition boosted the most between Beto, Harris, and Booker.  Sanders is already toast sitting at 94% recognition and 20% support, and Warren is in the same boat, vast majority know who she is and is polling 4th in support, both have been polling poorly in other polls as well.

3 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

You are missing the point again which is understandable because you don’t care about issues and only care about Democrats beating Republicans.  

People aren’t going to bother to vote when both candidates offer nothing.  Running candidates that actually offer something to non-elites would solve most of the problem for Democrats but they prefer to run corporate candidates instead.  

Rather than giving people a reason to vote liberals prefer to scold people for not voting for their lackluster candidates.  Vote shaming is an ineffective approach because it doesn’t address the actual problem for Democrats. 

No one would disagree with this. What you seem to be missing is that after the primaries, the only choices available to us are the vanilla Democrat or the bad Republican, and at that point a person should still come out to vote, and vote for the Democrat even if they aren't thrilled with the choice because the alternative is unacceptable. That's the scenario most of us are talking about, not primaries. 

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

No one would disagree with this. What you seem to be missing is that after the primaries, the only choices available to us are the vanilla Democrat or the bad Republican, and at that point a person should still come out to vote, and vote for the Democrat even if they aren't thrilled with the choice because the alternative is unacceptable. That's the scenario most of us are talking about, not primaries. 

Maybe in an ideal world where voting in the US is easy and doesn’t involve missing work.  In reality, people aren’t willing to go through the hassle of voting just so the nicer version of the corporate party wins.

7 minutes ago, TheBladeRoden said:

I still don't understand the source of the "Bernie is gonna be worse for black people than Hillary" stuff from the 2016 primaries which I guess is still gonna be an issue, unless he pals around with Steve King and I just didn't hear about it.

IIRC, deserved or not, Bernie supporters got a reputation for talking down to black people...and that was it. Bernie supporters were sometimes schmucks, so fuck Bernie.

4 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Maybe in an ideal world where voting in the US is easy and doesn’t involve missing work.  In reality, people aren’t willing to go through the hassle of voting just so the nicer version of the corporate party wins.

Right, I agree, but the entire argument a lot of us here are making that they still, nonetheless, have a responsibility to make sure to go out and vote because the gap between nicer and less nice is actually decently vast and we at least need to prevent "less nice" from getting elected. We can always keep primary'ing corporate and centrist Democrats in the future. 

13 hours ago, TheBladeRoden said:

I still don't understand the source of the "Bernie is gonna be worse for black people than Hillary" stuff from the 2016 primaries which I guess is still gonna be an issue, unless he pals around with Steve King and I just didn't hear about it.

The source is plenty of black people in general. 

His recent comments of, "You know there are a lot of white folks out there who are not necessarily racist who felt uncomfortable for the first time in their lives about whether or not they wanted to vote for an African-American," will come back to haunt him because being uncomfortable with someone based on their color is racist, and it shows the mindset of some older folk in regards to racism. You don't have to wear a hood and lynch to have racist thoughts, and none of the excuses for him hold water. Bad comment that I witnessed a decent amount of my Bernie friends get upset about.

At the same time, I think people who dismiss his campaign as being more aloof to the real plights of minorities by always diverting to Wall Street or something when asked about big social issues kind of miss the point of how economics are going to intersect with that. Much of what MLK talked about was also economics.