First presidential debate between Biden and Trump, tonight at 9pm ET

Besides the real Trump fans, I haven’t seen anybody who thought Trump improved his chances. I didn’t watch but a few minutes of the thing because I don’t hate myself, but it was pretty wild.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Besides the real Trump fans, I haven’t seen anybody who thought Trump improved his chances. I didn’t watch but a few minutes of the thing because I don’t hate myself, but it was pretty wild.

I'm actually nearly done watching it. What you saw is what most of the debate was.

Honestly, one of the bread-and-butter moments for me that stood out was Trump attacking Biden's son, with Biden replying that it's not about his family or Trump's family but about American families, which Trump is incapable of talking about. Stuff like that is probably why Biden is polling well in the "relates to me" questions.

In a functioning democracy you have official poll observers as part of the process (hired by the federal elections office that runs elections), and then each party running a candidate in the jurisdiction can send a scrutineer, who is allowed to be there. I served as a scrutineer in the 2015 Canadian election for the NDP. In my case I was at the ballot counting stations, but there were some at the voting stations as well. 

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In a functioning democracy you have official poll observers as part of the process (hired by the federal elections office that runs elections), and then each party running a candidate in the jurisdiction can send a scrutineer, who is allowed to be there. I served as a scrutineer in the 2015 Canadian election for the NDP. In my case I was at the ballot counting stations, but there were some at the voting stations as well. 

That is the system in Texas, from what I’ve seen.

And then the unwashed hordes at the edge of the polling location tailgating.

Just now, sblfilms said:

That is the system in Texas, from what I’ve seen.

And then the unwashed hordes at the edge of the polling location tailgating.

From what I remember in 2004 in Ohio the partisan poll watchers had a list of names of people who shouldn't be voting for whatever reason and they get to challenge them.  They get to cast a provisional ballot while the Board of Elections looks into it.

16 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

From what I remember in 2004 in Ohio the partisan poll watchers had a list of names of people who shouldn't be voting for whatever reason and they get to challenge them.  They get to cast a provisional ballot while the Board of Elections looks into it.

That's a BS system. If they are on the voting list (which everyone should be, automatically, no registration required) then they should get to vote. And if they are not on the voting list, they should be able to vote anyway by showing proof of residency/ID. The last time I moved (right before an election) I had to bring a utility bill and drivers license, and I was able to vote in my new riding without any issue.

40 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

l1js10jjt9q51.jpg

I really don't believe the vast majority of people that say they're undecided at this point. They're just waiting to see if Trump does something bad enough to make them not vote for him. And the fact that nothing from the past 5 years that he's done has reached that level shows that nothing ever will.

They've got strong "BLM/anti-fa is just as bad, both sides!" Energy

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

l1js10jjt9q51.jpg

I really don't believe the vast majority of people that say they're undecided at this point. They're just waiting to see if Trump does something bad enough to make them not vote for him. And the fact that nothing from the past 5 years that he's done has reached that level shows that nothing ever will.

I’m pretty sure most “undecided” voters are just lying so they can be included in an TV focus group of undecided voter.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's a BS system. If they are on the voting list (which everyone should be, automatically, no registration required) then they should get to vote. And if they are not on the voting list, they should be able to vote anyway by showing proof of residency/ID. The last time I moved (right before an election) I had to bring a utility bill and drivers license, and I was able to vote in my new riding without any issue.

We love disenfranchising people voting for the other guy here.

Just now, Joe said:

I already mentioned this, but I thought one of Biden's best moments was when he talked about Trump's Woodward interview and all Trump could muster as a personal attack on Biden's college. 

Right? 

I’m pretty sure Trump went in expecting Biden to literally fall asleep on the podium and instead he got slapped in the face.

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

I already mentioned this, but I thought one of Biden's best moments was when he talked about Trump's Woodward interview and all Trump could muster as a personal attack on Biden's college. 

It wasn't even Biden's college. 

My takeaway from the debate reactions I've seen is that where people wanted to find reasons to dislike Hilary, people are looking for reasons to like Biden. The debate was terrible all around, but Biden didn't exactly put on a masterclass performance. He seemed unsure, missed easy talking points, largely disowned much of his own party, and simply looked his age.

However, he wasn't openly courting white supremacists, questioning the legitimacy of the election process, or making calls to interfere in that election. He wasn't acting like a child, lying with complete abandon, or otherwise acting Trumpian, so he was the easy and obvious choice between the two. Still, I feel like I'm seeing a whole lot more forgiveness of Biden's follies than we saw with Hilary.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My takeaway from the debate reactions I've seen is that where people wanted to find reasons to dislike Hilary, people are looking for reasons to like Biden. The debate was terrible all around, but Biden didn't exactly put on a masterclass performance. He seemed unsure, missed easy talking points, largely disowned much of his own party, and simply looked his age.

However, he wasn't openly courting white supremacists, questioning the legitimacy of the election process, or making calls to interfere in that election. He wasn't acting like a child, lying with complete abandon, or otherwise acting Trumpian, so he was the easy and obvious choice between the two. Still, I feel like I'm seeing a whole lot more forgiveness of Biden's follies than we saw with Hilary.

I thought the "You left me with 128 judges positions to fill" was an easy one to rebut, but at the same time, maybe Senate inside stuff doesn't really do as well as my political ass thinks. :p