The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

@Mr.Vic20

So my issues with using an app rather than doing stuff from BIOS is that every time I update my bios the configuration gets messed up and I have to fix it. If I do it through an app while windows is running is everything going to go haywire after it updates?

2. The app doesn't work, it shows a black screen (so no worries I guess!)

3. If I enable Resize Bar it says I have to disable CSM, but my computer will only boot with CSM enabled.

That being said I enabled resize bar and enabled CSM and the computer booted, things seem fine but hard to say if I'm getting any benefit or harmful effects from doing this. :p

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Mr.Vic20

So my issues with using an app rather than doing stuff from BIOS is that every time I update my bios the configuration gets messed up and I have to fix it. If I do it through an app while windows is running is everything going to go haywire after it updates?

2. The app doesn't work, it shows a black screen (so no worries I guess!)

3. If I enable Resize Bar it says I have to disable CSM, but my computer will only boot with CSM enabled.

That being said I enabled resize bar and enabled CSM and the computer booted, things seem fine but hard to say if I'm getting any benefit or harmful effects from doing this. :p

Which GPU do you have? 

58 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Which GPU do you have? 

I read up on this. It says to use the app you need ASUS control interface V2. ASUS System Control Interface comes pre-installed (I guess you cannot install it) if you see the black screen you have no control interface and cannot use the app feature.

Further reading says that resize bar only benefits 3000 series cards and I only have the 2080ti so even if I turn it on I won't see a benefit. (?)

• 4 weeks later...

GO GET IT BOYS:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Go ahead and literally download your extra performance!

Note to pay attention to the instructions, you need to update your motherboard bios, graphics card bios, and get the new nvidia driver. You also have to enable it in your motherboard. At least I had to.

Oh yeah, I’m feeling this boost in Cyberpunk. I want to say a 5fps or so boost, which essentially just moved it to 60. Still dips especially while driving but vrr takes care of that now so I guess I should go back to playing it soon.

Only 17 supported games now I believe but they covered most stuff that needs it.

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh yeah, I’m feeling this boost in Cyberpunk. I want to say a 5fps or so boost, which essentially just moved it to 60. Still dips especially while driving but vrr takes care of that now so I guess I should go back to playing it soon.

Only 17 supported games now I believe but they covered most stuff that needs it.

Can you post some pics of what Cyberpunk looks like on your computer?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Can you post some pics of what Cyberpunk looks like on your computer?

honestly I tried just now and it was way too much work

i did one and that's all you get cuz im mad I got distracted and also the hdr makes it look weird idk how u do it right

20210330180715-1.jpg

edit: oh jesus it made it like 360p wtf EVER

DRIVE.GOOGLE.COM

There’s an older off screen video I made I hope that’s ENOUGH for you

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stepee said:

honestly I tried just now and it was way too much work

i did one and that's all you get cuz im mad I got distracted and also the hdr makes it look weird idk how u do it right

20210330180715-1.jpg

edit: oh jesus it made it like 360p wtf EVER

DRIVE.GOOGLE.COM

There’s an older off screen video I made I hope that’s ENOUGH for you

Thank you! The vid gave me a good idea of how much better it looks than on console. Especially on my Xbox one x. More NPC'S, vehicles, better lighting, and maybe some ray tracing in that vid as well.

Glad you have a great setup man.  👍 

• Like 1

So even though as far as I could see from Vizio 120hz 4k vrr is coming in a later update (though it’s confusing) it actually seems to be working fine after I set 4:4:4 10bit instead of 4:4:4 12 bit. 

Only problem is or tears like crazy at 42fps, and only at 42fps. I tried locking frames and everything seemed fine until I lock to 42fps and freaks out which is causing the random tear I noticed when testing in pendulum.

Its not a big deal if that’s how it has to be since I’m not anticipating a bunch of drops to exactly 42fps, but it’s strange. Anyone encounter anything like this with gsync and/or know what this is exactly causing it?

12 hours ago, stepee said:

So even though as far as I could see from Vizio 120hz 4k vrr is coming in a later update (though it’s confusing) it actually seems to be working fine after I set 4:4:4 10bit instead of 4:4:4 12 bit. 

Only problem is or tears like crazy at 42fps, and only at 42fps. I tried locking frames and everything seemed fine until I lock to 42fps and freaks out which is causing the random tear I noticed when testing in pendulum.

Its not a big deal if that’s how it has to be since I’m not anticipating a bunch of drops to exactly 42fps, but it’s strange. Anyone encounter anything like this with gsync and/or know what this is exactly causing it?

VRR only holds to a certain fps pending the TV/monitor. It’s likely off (if it’s even on at all) once you hit 42fps.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

VRR only holds to a certain fps pending the TV/monitor. It’s likely off (if it’s even on at all) once you hit 42fps.

It’s not that exactly I’m using the pendulum demo to test so I know it’s working (see gsync on overlay in game, can tell by locking random frames along vrr range which is 48-120 for me) - it’s not like a regular tear if I lock there it just practically shakes, it’s not 41fps, 43fps, only 42fps. It’s the compensation it does at that point is breaking or something, but ONLY 42fps.

34 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s not that exactly I’m using the pendulum demo to test so I know it’s working (see gsync on overlay in game, can tell by locking random frames along vrr range which is 48-120 for me) - it’s not like a regular tear if I lock there it just practically shakes, it’s not 41fps, 43fps, only 42fps. It’s the compensation it does at that point is breaking or something, but ONLY 42fps.

Oh probably should mention that the issue at 42fps also only happens at 120hz. 60hz with vrr/gsync on and this issue doesn’t happen.

26 minutes ago, MeatAndPotatoes said:

im giving up. i got the 3080 FE from BB in my cart last friday. I immediately clicked checkout, and my cart was empty. Fuck it all

One of my friends got one by just going to the store at the right time. On the internet, bots just buy them all within seconds. I get stock drop alerts for 3070s and they're always gone within seconds.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

One of my friends got one by just going to the store at the right time. On the internet, bots just buy them all within seconds. I get stock drop alerts for 3070s and they're always gone within seconds.

Same goes for the xsx and ps5. Best bet is to go into gamestop and ask when they expect shipments and snag one that way. 

Okay so I checked all the frames from like 30-120 now and besides 42fps the screen also tears at exactly 84fps. I believe how gsync works is that it actually doubles frames that are out of range on 120hz. So I could it kinda makes sense that the other fps I have an issue with is exactly double the 42fps.

I wonder if it could have something to do with 42-120 being a common range and my tv being 48 as the cut off and it thinks my cut off is 42 so it’s tried to switch to double the frame there but it’s already being doubled? Lol idk, what is it!

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Okay so I checked all the frames from like 30-120 now and besides 42fps the screen also tears at exactly 84fps. I believe how gsync works is that it actually doubles frames that are out of range on 120hz. So I could it kinda makes sense that the other fps I have an issue with is exactly double the 42fps.

I wonder if it could have something to do with 42-120 being a common range and my tv being 48 as the cut off and it thinks my cut off is 42 so it’s tried to switch to double the frame there but it’s already being doubled? Lol idk, what is it!

It's something with your TV, not GSYNC. I get no tearing with GSYNC enabled at any framerate which GSYNC is still enabled at. PG27UQ.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It's something with your TV, not GSYNC. I get no tearing with GSYNC enabled at any framerate which GSYNC is still enabled at. PG27UQ.

Yeah, I figure it’s something with the tv 100% (it’s not officially supported even as far as I can see) but just wanted to see if anyone ever experienced that exact problem or knew what the cause of it was so I could try to troubleshoot. 

Sounds like it’s indeed some unique glitch with the tv I probably need wait for the firmware update for.

When not testing it just means under a very special circumstance I might catch a slight tear since it’s only those random ass frames, it’s unlikely to even be noticed. Maybe I should just enjoy all this stuff finally. :P

Also having 120hz vrr is amazing though, definitely at least as exciting as a big graphics card update in terms of the improvements you see.

Its really great for sports games like Madden, which I didn’t think about. Because the frames jump all over the fucking place outside of the actual plays themselves, which makes sense with the format, and now it all looks smooth and it’s kinda crazy watching it look way better than any broadcast of sports.

6 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m going to ease in to talking about how great 120fps is here though, because I realize I severely underestimated it and have been downplaying it for years!

Man....I'm still happy with 30 fps and you're playing in glorious 120fps! I'm a chump, though. 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

I said this previously, but I noticed that 30fps is worse on PS5/XSX than on PS4/Xbone. BC games that are still at 30fps that were "fine" on PS4/Xbone seem much choppier on the new consoles. I wonder if they aren't using triple buffering and that's why?

Interesting. The only 30fps on ps5 I’ve tried were Spider-man and Control modes. Control definitely felt especially bad at 30fps, but I just figured it was how that game was. Spider-man I think seemed mostly normal for 30fps? It’s hard to tell unless I play it for awhile for it to seem natural again after switching from 60fps, but I think it felt like normal spider-man on pro did.

What other games have you tried at 30? Seems weird they would just remove triple buffering from the 30fps modes. 

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Interesting. The only 30fps on ps5 I’ve tried were Spider-man and Control modes. Control definitely felt especially bad at 30fps, but I just figured it was how that game was. Spider-man I think seemed mostly normal for 30fps? It’s hard to tell unless I play it for awhile for it to seem natural again after switching from 60fps, but I think it felt like normal spider-man on pro did.

What other games have you tried at 30? Seems weird they would just remove triple buffering from the 30fps modes. 

GOW pre-patch (4k mode), SM:MM seemed pretty bad at 30 to me, TLOU2, Dead Rising 3, and a few others. When I was googling a couple weeks after launch, people speculated that the new consoles either aren’t using or are doing something different with triple-buffering by default. 

23 hours ago, stepee said:

I’m going to ease in to talking about how great 120fps is here though, because I realize I severely underestimated it and have been downplaying it for years!

Doom Eternal completely changed my mind about 120FPS and I'm now all on board! It doesn't hurt that Warframe bops along happily at 120 as well! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Doom Eternal completely changed my mind about 120FPS and I'm now all on board! It doesn't hurt that Warframe bops along happily at 120 as well! 

Dude, that was the game for me too! All of the sudden it was like this amazing thing I’d never seen before. I tried a few games and wasn’t blown away, but realized it’s just that it only impresses me in games that are somewhat modern. Though I am starting to appreciate the general improvement to camera pan movement clarity in everything.

Besides Doom Eternal some ones I’d recommend checking out are Horizon 4 and Madden, just how realistic they look at 120fps, it’s crazy stuff.

Kingdom Hearts 3 at 120fps is probably the best looking thing I’ve seen on a tv overall, just it’s great hdr, solid 120fps performance on a 3080, ability to turn off lod, super crisp iq, on top of a game that has great art design and technology behind it. It’s not the best at any one of those things but all together it’s pretty orgasmish.

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

GOW pre-patch (4k mode), SM:MM seemed pretty bad at 30 to me, TLOU2, Dead Rising 3, and a few others. When I was googling a couple weeks after launch, people speculated that the new consoles either aren’t using or are doing something different with triple-buffering by default. 

Very strange, hopefully the pro consoles will come in time before nothing has 60fps modes anymore!

5 hours ago, stepee said:

Dude, that was the game for me too! All of the sudden it was like this amazing thing I’d never seen before. I tried a few games and wasn’t blown away, but realized it’s just that it only impresses me in games that are somewhat modern. Though I am starting to appreciate the general improvement to camera pan movement clarity in everything.

Besides Doom Eternal some ones I’d recommend checking out are Horizon 4 and Madden, just how realistic they look at 120fps, it’s crazy stuff.

Kingdom Hearts 3 at 120fps is probably the best looking thing I’ve seen on a tv overall, just it’s great hdr, solid 120fps performance on a 3080, ability to turn off lod, super crisp iq, on top of a game that has great art design and technology behind it. It’s not the best at any one of those things but all together it’s pretty orgasmish.

Dude, that sounds amazing. I'm jelly af. 

I know someone that bought a prebuilt desktop that had a 3080 in it for like $1200, he took the card out and sold everything else for probably not much money.

I just kind of beasted up my PC and the only thing holding me back is the damn GPU. The news that I probably won't be able to get one for another year is disheartening.