44 minutes ago, number305 said:

Why announce the date for anything other than 2?  I would bet my house that 5 doesn't hit the date they announced. It's okay to have targets but why make all that public when it's just going to change. 

staking out release spots in the future has been going on forever. You look at the marvel release schedule and they are 3-4 years out.  Of course thanks to COVID that's blown the hell. :( 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

The saga that is getting Avatar sequels done will be more interesting than the movies.

I really hope they've been capturing some high quality behind the scenes stuff this whole time. I'd love a really honest making of doc that showed something of how far along they were when each of these delays hit.

Paramount is out of 2020 now. I think the writing is on the wall and my prediction from March is coming to fruition: no major releases are coming in 2020...except maybe this whacky Tenet release.

7 hours ago, SlipperySlope said:

I don't get why ppl care about avatar

I enjoyed Avatar, but I can't say I "care" about it all that much. I'm really only interested in the sequels just to see what the hell he's been doing for the last decade. 

14 hours ago, number305 said:

Why announce the date for anything other than 2?  I would bet my house that 5 doesn't hit the date they announced. It's okay to have targets but why make all that public when it's just going to change. 

14 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

staking out release spots in the future has been going on forever. You look at the marvel release schedule and they are 3-4 years out.  Of course thanks to COVID that's blown the hell. :( 

Now I'm curious because I'm thinking like number: how many movies are scoped out a decade in advance? Are many of them getting dates, but the ones further than 3 - 4 years aren't given to the public until it becomes finalized/more certain?

And even if so, I feel that if a company had plans 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 years out that it would be more a release window like Winter 2028 instead of specific dates. I could be way off in what I'm thinking.

11 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

Is it just me or did the first avatar movie really suck

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It is terrible

Two of my friends and I saw the movie right when it came out and I remember us being sufficiently unenthused with the movie that during the movie we started trash-talking the movie on the angle that we weren't even that impressed with the 3D. I think our conclusion was that the visual spectacle aspect was probably mostly impressive to people who don't really play videogames.

It's so bad on every level.

It's so funny that it's still the second highest grossing movie of all time, and pretty much has no fanbase. You'll find people who say things like, yeah, that was pretty okay... but ask them to name a single character from the movie. It's the most popular tech demo in the history of mankind.

Find me some people excited for these sequels. I don't think the exist... well, okay, maybe a few hundred people on the internet somewhere... but there is no fanbase for these movies. I'm going to predict that they don't even make all of these movies, because they aren't going to do well.

11 minutes ago, ort said:

It's so bad on every level.

It's so funny that it's still the second highest grossing movie of all time, and pretty much has no fanbase. You'll find people who say things like, yeah, that was pretty okay... but ask them to name a single character from the movie. It's the most popular tech demo in the history of mankind.

Find me some people excited for these sequels. I don't think the exist... well, okay, maybe a few hundred people on the internet somewhere... but there is no fanbase for these movies. I'm going to predict that they don't even make all of these movies, because they aren't going to do well.

I don’t know man, that Pandora section of Disney World is VERY popular.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know man, that Pandora section of Disney World is VERY popular.

I feel like that movie was made to be a theme park attraction. Flight of Passage is the greatest thing ever.

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

I feel like that movie was made to be a theme park attraction. Flight of Passage is the greatest thing ever.

I would agree.  That might be the best thing to come from the movie.

The whole industry is crazy right now.  I'm not sure they can bank on these all making a billion +.  We all expect life to go back to normal someday...

I have a feeling if Avatar 2 does not make a billion dollars the rest of the series probably does not get made.

27 minutes ago, Jose said:

It’s pretty spectacular, though the Hogwarts ride at Universal surpasses it for me.

5 minutes ago, ort said:

The whole Harry Potter part of Universal is amazing. I'm not even really a Harry Potter guy, but they knocked it out of the park with that one.

Yeah, really have no major affinity for the series but it’s an impressive park!

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You shared a dorm with James Cameron?

lol, no :p  but they filmed part of the movie at my school. My college has a small/tight campus, with minimal parking to begin with, so all their damn production vehicles were super annoying. Not to mention the fake snow they used looked so damn silly. 

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I enjoyed Avatar, but I can't say I "care" about it all that much. I'm really only interested in the sequels just to see what the hell he's been doing for the last decade. 

Same. I own the super extended version on bluray and have watched it 2-3 times over the years. It's a fun, solid sci-fi flick but not much more. It's scale and Cameron's solid skill keep it together.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Now I'm curious because I'm thinking like number: how many movies are scoped out a decade in advance? Are many of them getting dates, but the ones further than 3 - 4 years aren't given to the public until it becomes finalized/more certain?

And even if so, I feel that if a company had plans 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 years out that it would be more a release window like Winter 2028 instead of specific dates. I could be way off in what I'm thinking.

well the dates are always subject to change of course, but I think they announce as soon as possible to let other studios know THIS IS OUR SPOT F OFF!!!! I remember originally Force Awakens was going to be the only Christmas Star Wars release and they already had summer dates picked out the 8 and 9, but then Awakens made a buttload and Disney said...hey Christmas time is now perfect for the franchise. 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Same. I own the super extended version on bluray and have watched it 2-3 times over the years. It's a fun, solid sci-fi flick but not much more. It's scale and Cameron's solid skill keep it together.

I own it, I can't honestly say if I have ever watched it. It was a cool visual experience on the big screen the story itself was rather paint by numbers. I'm willing to bet 90% of the people who saw it couldn't name a damn character from the movie and only remember it had 'blue people.'

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

I own it, I can't honestly say if I have ever watched it. It was a cool visual experience on the big screen the story itself was rather paint by numbers. I'm willing to bet 90% of the people who saw it couldn't name a damn character from the movie and only remember it had 'blue people.'

I mean, it's a well put together, well made, competently made film. It's story and characters are indeed what are lacking, but the scope and ambition make up for it. We rarely get sci-fi/space opera films that actually take place in space and on other planets, so it's nice to just get a film that does on a large scale. I'm starved for such content, and Avatar does it well enough. But I agree, ultimately fairly forgettable film.