13 hours ago, SlipperySlope said:

I don't get why ppl care about avatar

I didn't love Avatar, but at I'm interested in the sequels for a few reasons.

One is that Avatar itself was just such a unique IP. It was an original property that became a phenomenon and then basically dissapeared.  It's wild to me that basically the only Avatar content released since the film is a freaking themepark. In the meantime we've gotten two different Spider-men, two different Batmen (with a third on the way), a whole Star Wars trilogy, and 21 MCU films. Generally, when you have a successful property it spawns more content immediately, but Avatar is the biggest possible exception.  

I'm also interested in the tech. Avatar pioneered a lot of techniques that have since become common, and while I can't see the sequels doing the same, I won't discount the possibility. With Cameron filming underwater, it seems insane and pointless, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm also interested in the projection tech that they end up going with. The first film basically sold the theater industry on 3D, and there have been rumors that the sequels would be in glasses free 3D and/or high frame rate. I think they'll have a hard time selling either of those, but if Cameron can get any theater near me to try it, I'll go.

Mostly though, it's James Cameron. Avatar was hardly my favorite film of his, but if his version of a misfire is creating the biggest movie of all time (again) and being nominated for Best Picture (again), he remains a unique and compelling filmmaker. With a production story as insane as this one, whatever the quality of the resulting film, I'll be seeing it in theaters for sure.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, it's a well put together, well made, competently made film. It's story and characters are indeed what are lacking, but the scope and ambition make up for it. We rarely get sci-fi/space opera films that actually take place in space and on other planets, so it's nice to just get a film that does on a large scale. I'm starved for such content, and Avatar does it well enough. But I agree, ultimately fairly forgettable film.

definitely fun but forgettable, which is why I think it was definitely worth seeing on an IMAX screen, but it's definitely not one of those films I have any desire to watch again and again. Though I'm sure when 2 eventually gets released I'll rewatch the original. 

3 hours ago, ort said:

It's so funny that it's still the second highest grossing movie of all time, and pretty much has no fanbase.

It was the movie that got to cash in on upcharging for 3D before people caught on that 3D is bullshit.

To this day I still haven't seen more than the first hour of Avatar. Didn't care to see it in theaters, I remember places like Best Buy would be demoing it on every screen. Picked up the collectors edition blu ray for $5 at a flea market years later. Started watching it but fell asleep because it was late at night....and still haven't gone back. 

To hear there are 4 more movies planned just boggles my mind. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

It was the movie that got to cash in on upcharging for 3D before people caught on that 3D is bullshit.

You take that back on 3D films. Sure some don’t work great but they overall look amazing at home on my JVC NX7 projector. Even better if you find a strain of weed that enhances your perceived colours too. Will not forget how awesome it was watching Avengers: Infinity War at home and smoking a great strain of Cinderella 99. 

as for Avatar, I agree it was a so-so movie that I have seen/told many times before and better. I would of given District 9 the SFX Oscar over Avatar back then too

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

You take that back on 3D films. Sure some don’t work great but they overall look amazing at home on my JVC NX7 projector. Even better if you find a strain of weed that enhances your perceived colours too. Will not forget how awesome it was watching Avengers: Infinity War at home and smoking a great strain of Cinderella 99. 

as for Avatar, I agree it was a so-so movie that I have seen/told many times before and better. I would of given District 9 the SFX Oscar over Avatar back then too

bruh you like weed, not 3D