New USPS changes from the new Trump appointed Postmaster General seem designed to just destroy the post office

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/07/14/postal-service-trump-dejoy-delay-mail/

tl;dr, they're telling carriers to just leave mail at the distribution facilities instead of working any OT to get it all delivered on the day it's supposed to go out.

Matt Bors, the guy who drew the "We should improve society somewhat" comic says he's getting shipments of his books abandoned and returned to him

And, I have no real way to confirming this dude's identity, but he says he works for the USPS and wrote a long thread detailing what they were told and how he thinks this is going to snowball out of control

In unrelated news, more people then ever before will be voting by mail this year, and most of them will be Democrats!

• Guillotine 3

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

@Ricofoley You're a fellow direct mail traveler, correct? We've definitely noticed some issues with deliverability as of late.

Yeah. I'm not really in a position where I generally have to follow the tracking, though. I'm sure if it's happening to your stuff it's happening everywhere, though.

It’s cool, not like tons of fucking people get medication they need to function or stay alive via USPS. Someone with a big business dick who got this job solely based on qualifications, I’m sure, needs to show these cushy government employees how shit works in the private sector!

America needs to show these idiots what real political violence is. Not a little rioting. Its time to start pulling politicians who aren’t governing for the people straight out of their offices and hang them in the streets.  The only reason they are so bold is because they don’t fear the electorate. 

• 2 weeks later...

"The Postmaster General made his decree...now let him enforce it."

The GOP is going to absolutely gut the USPS, possibly even to the point of temporarily shutting down mail to prevent "fraud" prior to the US election. The courts will whine, but Trump will stall. And if, somehow, that gives Trump the victory, SCOTUS will rule that while what Trump did was wrong, we don't know how things would have gone otherwise (and people could still vote in person if they wanted), so the election is valid.

I don't think that will happen...but the fact that it seems entirely plausible (both the behaviour of the executive branch and judicial) basically shows that the US is on its last legs as a functional federal democracy of any sort.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I know I don't have any expectations for Nancy & co for oversight, but this would be a good time to use inherent contempt and get this asshole in front of congress to answer questions

That’s cute. 

Trump would prevent it, Nancy would wave her wooden spoon, Trump would cross his arms and pout, and nothing would get done.

Just now, MarSolo said:

That’s cute. 

Trump would prevent it, Nancy would wave her wooden spoon, Trump would cross his arms and pout, and nothing would get done.

I mean that's kinda my point. The house has power that is independent of the executive branch, but the house refuses to use said power

Two Republicans from Montana signed on to a letter asking for the Post Office to reverse the mail collection changes. That might be the best course of action here--trying to get rural Republicans to sign on to opposing this . Keep collecting stories of people in rural areas not getting their meds on time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/lawmakers-both-parties-want-postal-service-undo-changes-are-slowing-n1236086

53 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Two Republicans from Montana signed on to a letter asking for the Post Office to reverse the mail collection changes. That might be the best course of action here--trying to get rural Republicans to sign on to opposing this . Keep collecting stories of people in rural areas not getting their meds on time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/lawmakers-both-parties-want-postal-service-undo-changes-are-slowing-n1236086

It's not just the best course of action, it might be the only thing to get trump to undo this nonsense

My mail has mostly been okay so far but now I have two days' worth of mail showing in Informed Delivery that hasn't arrived in my mailbox. :/

And a package that shows that it went out for delivery yesterday but then last night hit a status of "available for pickup"??? I guess that's a "missed you" status but I'm not seeing a missed delivery attempt slip anywhere.