Keep cars out of cities

5 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

My mom figured out I couldn't see colors well when a drew a tree in the first grade. I was all proud to show it to my mom when she pointed out that I had colored the top of the tree brown and the bottom green.

I thought grass was red.

10 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

My mom figured out I couldn't see colors well when a drew a tree in the first grade. I was all proud to show it to my mom when she pointed out that I had colored the top of the tree brown and the bottom green.

My grandfather had the same colorblindness as you, seeing green as brown and vice versa.  Surprisingly, he's the only family member I've known to be colorblind.  The only other person I know who is colorblind is a friend of mine.  He didn't realize how bad it was until I recommended De Blob to him when he was looking for a new platformer to play.  He struggled to get through that one, but kept at it as he loved the gameplay.  It was laugh watching him play it, repeatedly hearing him cite the game was helping him to learn colors.

Color blindness really is fascinating. It deals with qualia, which is an abstract phenomenon wherein we can both look at a strawberry and agree it's red, but there is no way to know that red looks to you the same as it does to me. So we may be looking at the same thing but seeing it entirely different, yet still agree on what we see. The extends beyond color blindness into the philosophical.

Also, it's like... I can see green and red. Or at least my brain has somewhat trained itself to do so. But the way I see them would almost certainly look like a muted, brownish version of what most others would see.

At the same time, blue and yellow absolutely pop to me like they probably don't to most people. Like imagine those images of a woman in a red dress standing in a black/grey background and how much it pops from the color. That's what blue looks like to me all the time. Especially in dusk light.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 1:23 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

I got a notice in the mail. Looks like they are going to convert the mall around here into housing, at least the parking lot. It's considered an "underutilized lot"

The mall near me is going to be redone for other businesses than retail, and for some reason we Gave them a 25 year tax exemption to do it, negotiated down from 28 years, lol. 

Huh I guess @AbsolutSurgenwas right that Trud'oh is a dummy after all @b_m_b_m_b_m.

ft-Canadian-PM-Trudeau-pledges-two-year-
THEREALDEAL.COM

Trudeau's Liberal Party is also proposing a ban on blind bidding, calling for tax-free savings accounts for first-time buyers and requesting more real estate oversight.

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Huh I guess @AbsolutSurgenwas right that Trud'oh is a dummy after all @b_m_b_m_b_m.

ft-Canadian-PM-Trudeau-pledges-two-year-
THEREALDEAL.COM

Trudeau's Liberal Party is also proposing a ban on blind bidding, calling for tax-free savings accounts for first-time buyers and requesting more real estate oversight.

The fundamental problem with Canada's home prices is supply and demand.  We have 300k-400k new immigrants per year, but are only building enough housing for 20-25% of them.  All of the plans from the Canadian politicians ignore this fact -- and try and solve tertiary issues.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The fundamental problem with Canada's home prices is supply and demand.  We have 300k-400k new immigrants per year, but are only building enough housing for 20-25% of them.  All of the plans from the Canadian politicians ignore this fact -- and try and solve tertiary issues.

This sounds familiar, except we're doing it with urbanization

Yeah, having lived basically half my adult life in historically protected houses, the more I realize home owners in those areas basically weaponized historical protection to support Nimbyism. My dad's house is historically protected. My house is historically protected. Repealing that historical protection is basically impossible.

My dad's area got the entire neighborhood blanketed by historical protection. It's just across the river from downtown. It's an area of like 6 square miles that is just set at ridiculously expensive single family housing for all eternity.

The house that I live in is one of the oldest single family homes in Portland, so I guess whatever. They didn't just blanket the whole neighborhood. People treat our front yard as a park. When we broke the balcony fence because my friend got drunk, we had to replace it exactly as it was.

I don't know. It's perversive to me too weaponize historical protection as a way to make sure your house that was built during WW2 will never have a multi family home next to it

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

So is housing the one market where liberals are like "no no, we want LESS regulation, you twats!" ?

Given the nature of our political economy, more or less yes. A zoning regime like Tokyo is better than what we have today, but a system more like Singapore or Vienna would be great too

• 2 weeks later...