Keep cars out of cities

Had some jackass from Alabama accost me for having the nerve to park on *his* street earlier. I need to vent a bit

I was picking up my daughter and since she’s in kindergarten the school tells us to park in the neighborhood and walk up to pick our kids up so we don’t block traffic on the main road. I do so and this guy asks me if I’m parked here to pick up my kid. Yeah, I was and told him so. He then goes on a tirade about how even though it’s a public street people need to find somewhere else to park. I said to take it up with the school. He keeps bitching about his taxes and whatever, I tell him it’s a public street and I pay taxes too. I told him I’ll be two minutes (I was in the process of buckling my daughter into her car seat) but then he keeps bitching about how he just got off a 12 hour shift (that excuses being an asshole?) and I just tell him “I don’t know what to fuckin tell you man” and then I got the single most infuriating thing of the whole conversation, about how I needed to watch my mouth there’s kids present. There was only one kid present and it was MY daughter and I told him as such. “This is why kids today are so disrespectful blah blah blah” like he wasn’t only like 10 years older than me. 

Fucking car brained Alabama asshole. When you buy a house in 2021 for half a million next to a school that’s been there for literally a century don’t be surprised that during pickup and drop off there’s gonna be people doing as they were told by the school. You bought the house and not the admittedly public street, even if you did pay more than twice the price the last owner did ten years ago!

the best part is that he ended up circling the block to only park on the continually and completely vacant side/cross street not even 20 feet away from me. I wasn’t even parked in front of his house! Or on the side of the street of his house or that he could have parked on based on the direction he was going. 

• Haha 2

Currently stranded at an auto repair shop (closed early because you know, why wouldn’t it be), trying to huddle my girls together with some blankets to keep them warm while I wait for an Uber. Going to need a new drivers side front ball joint, which is $250 that I don’t fucking have. FREEDOM BABY

Also, lots of anti-development types responding about how this building is a landmark that needs to be protected (again, unable to tell it's a joke apparently)...oblivious to the fact that thanks to them it'd be illegal to build this today.

• True 2

Hi, just wanted to jizz a little over City Modern in Detroit - probably the best realization of form based zoning code in the United States (outside of NYC and Chicago) in the last 80 years.

320EdmundPl-Aerial-20211011-019.jpg?itok
URBANIZE.CITY

One of the most ambitious developments in Detroit over the past few years is City Modern, a collection of modern residential new builds in Brush Park. The historic neighborhood once...

15 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

More is better, but I would think nominal units is probably a poor measure when comparing population sizes as vastly different as 1973 and 2022. Hopefully the trend line continues and in a few years we can’t be beating the population adjusted numbers.

On 2/18/2022 at 2:23 PM, foosh said:

I'm in Austin now and the low inventory is madness.

I thought about moving to Austin but it is rapidly becoming expensive. Like as recently as 2-3 years ago it was significantly cheaper than Portland, now it's basically on par with Portland, and I'm assuming in another 5 years it will be significantly more expensive.