Keep cars out of cities

I've been planning on moving to another city, but the tough part is I want 1) not cold, 2) liveable without owning a car, 3) ideally cheaper than the west coast.

The depressing thing is that narrows things down to new Orleans, atlanta, and charleston. Like, that's it. In Portland, you can totally live without a car. Something like 15 people work at my restaurant, and only 4 or 5 own a car.

A friend of mine lives in Houston and wants me to move there, and weirdly Houston seems to be the most car-free friendly of all the Texas cities. Austin seems to have big designs for public transit, but it's years away.

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Cars are a major problem in general but we live in a damned society where it's nearly impossible to easily live a low or car free life (especially with a family!) outside of the core of a few major cities and this is due to the policy choices we have made over the last century. And that these places are massively expensive is used as proof, not that they're popular and we should make more of them, but that they're for elites (which is only true insofar as the elite who actually can afford to live in these places are trying and largely have succeeded in walling off their garden through government policy, but that's not exclusive to these areas)

I wasn't trying to shit on foosh for operating within the decision space society has forced him into via generations of bad decisionmaking, I was specifically responding to this:

On 7/22/2021 at 8:43 AM, foosh said:

It may be a while but really, we just need better EVs.

This read to me like a "everything would be fine if only everyone had an EV" comment.

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

I wasn't trying to shit on foosh for operating within the decision space society has forced him into via generations of bad decisionmaking, I was specifically responding to this:

This read to me like a "everything would be fine if only everyone had an EV" comment.

I think the problem is you thought Foosh was responding to B’s comment, but I think he was responding to the article and the issue of low relative sales of EVs.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Driving with one foot on the brake and the other pressing the gas pedal to the floor. That describes the housing market, with the Federal Reserve pumping fuel into the system while supply and affordability constraints slow things down. At the very least, this is costly; at worst, it risks serious overheating and a breakdown.

Housing seems to trend in waves. I had a bunch of friends move into a swanky part of town last year for really affordable rates. Now I have one friend trying to move to the same area and all she can find is like $1500 for a studio.

(Btw 5 years ago I was paying $1500/mo for a 2 bedroom house with a backyard and everything about 2 miles away)

You just have to wait for the dip. The problem with that being when it comes to housing, you pretty much have to take what you're given

We've had a TON of housing development where I live, and it tends to cycle: 1) new building, you're paying a premium, 2) a year or two later, people have all moved out, they lower the rates to get people in, 3) people bite, then they raise the rates again when their next lease is due

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Housing seems to trend in waves. I had a bunch of friends move into a swanky part of town last year for really affordable rates. Now I have one friend trying to move to the same area and all she can find is like $1500 for a studio.

(Btw 5 years ago I was paying $1500/mo for a 2 bedroom house with a backyard and everything about 2 miles away)

You just have to wait for the dip. The problem with that being when it comes to housing, you pretty much have to take what you're given

We've had a TON of housing development where I live, and it tends to cycle: 1) new building, you're paying a premium, 2) a year or two later, people have all moved out, they lower the rates to get people in, 3) people bite, then they raise the rates again when their next lease is due

A new apartment complex where I live has studios for $1,600-1,800. I hope we see a dip soon because prices have continued to climb for the past few years.

11 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

A new apartment complex where I live has studios for $1,600-1,800. I hope we see a dip soon because prices have continued to climb for the past few years.

From my experience, there's usually a dip about 2-3 years after a housing boom. Like we have 4-5 high rise buildings being built in my neighborhood right now. The last round of housing got built about 3 years ago, the price dropped for a bit, now it's gone up again. Once the new buildings get finished, maybe it will dip?

Who fucking knows honestly

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

From my experience, there's usually a dip about 2-3 years after a housing boom. Like we have 4-5 high rise buildings being built in my neighborhood right now. The last round of housing got built about 3 years ago, the price dropped for a bit, now it's gone up again. Once the new buildings get finished, maybe it will dip?

Who fucking knows honestly

austin-schmid-486170-unsplash-scaled.jpg
REDRENO.COM

They renamed the area RED.

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

my friend’s boyfriend bought a truck and he was driving and admitted he can’t see shit in front of him. these things shouldn’t even be legal. 

There was a video going around recently where a guy in a pickup truck showed how there was entire sports car that was completely invisible to him looking forward, it was only visible using the forward camera display in the center console. And you know probably not a good idea to make forward visibility dependent on a display that requires taking your eyes off the road.

I had a NIMBY give me wholehearted agreement after posting this in response to something tonight:

I think we as citizens need to make a few things clear. The first is, we aren’t Madison. We aren’t Boulder. We aren’t Terre Haute. So when I hear a member of the council saying, “Well, Waukesha made a few small but substantive changes in such-and-such an area and the results have been very promising empirically,” what that council member fails to understand is that we aren’t Waukesha. We aren’t Tacoma. We aren’t Amherst. We aren’t Portland, Maine. Are we Scottsdale? No, we are not. And so all this so-called “evidence” about how policies have worked in other towns simply does not apply to us. No evidence applies to us. Our town exists in a fog of mystery and enigmatic strangeness, and nothing that happens outside city boundaries should have any bearing on how we govern or exist.

He responded:

True. The entire Los Angeles Basin is a very unique place. There is nothing like it anywhere else.

It was of course just a copy-paste from this:

v5dxcqwi7t6lohwloqj61eqq2ywm
WWW.MCSWEENEYS.NET

Our 14th most-read article of 2019 (Originally published June 13, 2019) - - -Friends, neighbors, it’s good to see all of you. I know you, you kno...

:lol:

21 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Will it be affordable though? Most of the new apartments in my area priced to damn high.

1. 0 parking will help with the costs.

2. You get affordable housing by building tons of new housing, just like you get cheap used cars by making lots of cars.

22 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Will it be affordable though? Most of the new apartments in my area priced to damn high.

The properties fall within the Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment Plan and none of them include any affordable housing or parking components.

26-28-Van-Reipen-Avenue-jersey-city-towe
JERSEYDIGS.COM

Three high rises are set to rise inside a quiet residential area near Jersey City's Journal Square and look of the second tower has now been unveiled.

not great to not have affordable options given the regional housing crunch

1 minute ago, Jason said:

1. 0 parking will help with the costs.

2. You get affordable housing by building tons of new housing, just like you get cheap used cars by making lots of cars.

JC can only do so much when it comes to building sufficient housing, NYC has to liberalize it's zoning too