Keep cars out of cities

27 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Honestly this is nonsense unless you think everyone who accelerates from a stand still does so by putting their foot all the way to the floor, lol.  The weight is a bigger issue here, as a suburban weighs less than 6k pounds, hell even the old H2s were just over 6.5k i think.

Fast cars cost much more to insure than slower ones for a reason.

Just now, CayceG said:

This entire thread isn't totally related to cars, but more pollution in general. 

It's... bleak...

And guess what, one of the reasons electric cars won't save us is because when it comes to air pollution tire wear is MAJORLY worse than exhaust emissions.

2_AIBA-testing.jpg
WWW.TIRETECHNOLOGYINTERNATIONAL.COM

Air pollution from tire wear particles can be 1,000 times worse than what comes out of a car’s exhaust, Emissions Analytics has found. Harmful particle [...]

Interestingly, I think LA-Vegas is probably the best candidate in the states for HSR outside of the NE corridor. If the point of taking planes out of the sky and cars off the road, it's essentially perfect. LA-SF is far enough of a distance that I'm not sure it would be that popular. Unless they make the HSR *significantly* cheaper than flying, I don't see many people using it. It's not going to be faster than flying and it still be significantly more expensive than driving, so who is it serving? Not to mention the LA area has 5 major airports and the bay area has 4, so flying offers more flexibility than rail in terms of commute to the station.

LA to Vegas on the other hand is basically perfect. It's close enough that it would be potentially faster and/or more convenient than flying. And there are a STUPID amount of flights between LA and Vegas every day.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:21 PM, CayceG said:

This entire thread isn't totally related to cars, but more pollution in general. 

It's... bleak...

Some choice bleakness:

with any luck the ventilation that should have been installed in schools from CARES act money will pay off long term due to this issue

• 2 weeks later...